Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

'Thank you' als Grußformel

Topic

'Thank you' als Grußformel

Comment

Ist 'Thank you' anstelle von 'Kind regards' am Ende einer Email ein neutraler Gruß

oder impliziert das irgendetwas?

Im Deutschen würde ich "Danke" als ein etwas höflicheres "Das ist alles." interpretieren.

AuthorEmil 14 (299747) 03 May 20, 01:19
    Comment

I don't know why anyone would write "thank you" if they had not made some request (perhaps implicitly) earlier in the email.

#1AuthorMartin--cal (272273) 03 May 20, 03:10
    Comment

Hm. Ein "Thank you" und den Namen drunter, ohne einen weiteren Abschlussgruß, empfände ich als etwas abrupt - und ggfs. als grob. Aber es kommt doch auch auf den Rest der E-Mail an.

#2AuthorBraunbärin (757733) 03 May 20, 14:15
    Comment

Vielen Dank!

Entschuldigung, ich habe es offenbar an Kontext mangeln lassen.

Ja, ich meine Emails, in denen um irgendetwas (Information, Kenntnisnahme, Aktion) gebeten wird.

Mir geht es im Deutschen ähnlich wie Braunbärin, die das etwas abrupt findet.

Meine Frage ist, ob im Englischen ein einfaches 'Thank you' völlig normal ist, im Kontext einer Email-Kommunikation um der Kürze willen akzeptabel ist, ob sich das eher nach Schludrigkeit anhört, oder ob sich da jemand im Ton vergreift.

#3AuthorEmil 14 (299747) 03 May 20, 18:59
    Comment

Hast du mal ein konkretes Beispiel mit etwas Text davor? Kann das so etwas sein wie das deutsche "Danke im Voraus"?

#4AuthorRaudona (255425) 03 May 20, 19:34
    Comment

Some five or six years ago, I was occasionally copied on emails going between the German and the British operations of a company. All correspondence was in English.

When I noticed that many of the emails were signed off

"Thank you

Name"

I asked a manager on the German side whether that was company standard. He told me that the company didn't have a standard sign-off and that he used "Thank you" simply because his British colleagues did.

#5AuthorSD3 (451227) 03 May 20, 21:19
    Comment

Vielen Dank, SD3! Dann ist es wohl akzeptabel.

Aber die Tatsache, dass Du nachgefragt hast, zeigt doch, dass es Dir auch nicht ganz geheuer vorkam, nicht wahr?

#6AuthorEmil 14 (299747) 03 May 20, 21:28
    Comment

Your assumption is correct, Emil. I had not seen it before and have only used it myself in response to people who had used it in writing to me.

#7AuthorSD3 (451227) 03 May 20, 23:09
    Comment

re ##5,6,7 et al. : ist das dann eher in BE als in AE üblich ?

#8Authorno me bré (700807) 03 May 20, 23:12
    Comment

Ich kenne es aus AE.

edit: Zu Raudona #4 "Danke im Voraus" hatte ich noch sagen wollen, dass mir diese Idee auch gekommen war.

Aber gab es nicht mal eine Diskussion (die ich nicht mehr finde) hier, derzufolge mindestens ein englischer Muttersprachler von "Danke im Voraus" gar nicht angetan war?

#9AuthorEmil 14 (299747)  03 May 20, 23:18
    Comment

Re "Im Deutschen würde ich "Danke" als ein etwas höflicheres "Das ist alles." interpretieren." and similar comments about "Thank you" being abrupt.

As I've seen here (and elsewhere), NESs tend to be less stuck on traditional salutations, closes, and other formalities in e-mails than many NGSs seem to be. The medium lends itself to greater informality than a true letter does, and is often viewed as a quick, easy means of communication. Especially given the context provided in #3, where there was indeed a request for something, a simple "thank you" works perfectly fine, and perhaps even polite, for me (AE). I see absolutely no reason to see it as impolite or abrupt.

Count me among those who have no problems with receiving a "Thank you in advance." I don't know why that should be considered impolite, especially when the correspondence is quick/brief and the request is easily fulfilled. Heck, at least it's a "thank you" of some sort! Although, even if I had written that, I would have responded with a quick "thanks" (and, horror of horrors! I might have even left out other formalities at that point. (Of course, all this is conditioned up the level of communication being used. The above is applicable to friends or even co-workers that I know. If I were writing to an official of some sort or someone unknown to me, I would tend to be more formal as is appropriate.)

#10Authorhbberlin (420040) 04 May 20, 16:03

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt