Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betrifft

sawbones

Kommentar
    Easy access to medical know-how explains why the dumbest sawbones in the most run-down hospital can probably do more to save your life than ...

Source: FT

This is a slang term for an MD/doctor/physician.

I can't think of any terms for this in German. Thanks for ideas.
    Verfasseropine (680211) 20 Feb. 11, 00:49
    Kommentar
    #1Verfasser Sir Pooh de Bear (687643) 20 Feb. 11, 01:25
    Kommentar
    Thanks much, S P d. B, I swear I punched "sawbones" into "Suche in allen Foren", but didn't find anything, but I just did it again, and there are a couple threads (including the one you linked in). Appreciate! (I think I may have punched "sawbone_" in.)
    #2Verfasseropine (680211) 20 Feb. 11, 01:40
    Kommentar
    Hi opine,

Yes, LEO's search function is somewhat temperamental. When you type into the search window for each individual forum you get different results. The search window right on top does not search in the forums, I think. A bit tricky.

I looked for Hants a few days ago - doesn't make much sense that the abbreviation for Hampshire is Hants, right? - and only found the relevant threads when I entered Hants in the Sprachlabor search window.

Is there a description of how LEO's search engine works somewhere?
    #3Verfasser Sir Pooh de Bear (687643) 20 Feb. 11, 11:29
    Kommentar
    #0: Oder vielleicht auch Kurpfuscher
    #4Verfasser zirp_ (703877) 20 Feb. 11, 11:56
    Kommentar
    Slang for surgeon.
    #5Verfasser escoville (237761) 20 Feb. 11, 11:56
    Kommentar
    It's not really slang for any old MD/doctor/physician but, as escoville says in #5, a slang term for a qualified surgeon, especially an orthopaedic surgeon.

"Quacksalber","Knochenbrecher" and "Kurpfuscher" simply don't match up.
    See parallel discussion:
    Siehe auch: sawbones - Quacksalber
    #6Verfasser Marianne (BE) (237471) 20 Feb. 11, 12:04
    Kommentar
    Oje, Du hast recht. Ich hatte die andere Diskussion nicht bemerkt. Mein Fehler!
    #7Verfasser zirp_ (703877) 20 Feb. 11, 12:17
    Kommentar
    Marinne, I cannot agree. I would certainly use Knochenbrecher for fun for a Chirurg, and not Knochenflicker (which I have never heard anyone use, but maybe somewhere in Germany they do use it).

Could be that a badly healed fracture has to be broken before it is reset, and that is where Knochenbrecher comes from.

Quacksalber does have a funny meaning too, but can be used derogatory, so it is a bit different, I agree.

Quacksalber would be used for a GP, and only rarely for a Chirurg. So Knochenbrecher is not a bad match in my opinion.
    #8Verfasser Sir Pooh de Bear (687643) 20 Feb. 11, 12:48
    Kommentar
    I'm not sure there is a equivalent term in German. It's not a new problem, I'm sure the translators of Star Trek spent many a sleepless night racking their brains, but all they could come up with was was the rather lame 'Pille'. (I, on the other hand, thought for a long time, and was puzzled by it, that Kirk called Dr McCoy 'Bones' because he was lazy. I only came across 'sawbones' much later)

Edit: Ich kenne 'Knochenbrecher' nicht, aber wenn das Wort verwendet wird, stimme ich #8 zu, dass es passen würde.
    #9Verfasser Gibson (418762) 20 Feb. 11, 12:49
    Kommentar
    Hi Gibson,
    I am not sure myself how widely Knochenbrecher is used, I think I remember it being used in the army, but really just as a slang word.

So I do not think there is an exact fit to sawbones, as you already pointed out.
    #10Verfasser Sir Pooh de Bear (687643) 20 Feb. 11, 12:56
    Kommentar
    "In Ostfriesland werden die Wunderheiler „Knochenbrecher“ genannt. Diese selbst ernannten Heiler besitzen eine natürliche Gabe, Beschwerden zu lindern – zumindest sprechen viele Besucher darauf an. Die Beliebtheit der „Knochenbrecher“ in der Region ist so groß, dass viele Patienten von weit her angereist kommen. Behandelt wird in der Küche, als Honorar werden Spenden angenommen. In diesem Film wird der Landwirt Röbke Helmerichs aus Friedeburg porträtiert. Er behandelt Menschen, Hunde, Katzen und Pferde."
    http://www.themen-tv.de/gesundheit/knochenbre...

Hi Sir Pooh de Bear
    I've only come across this term in the above context of CAM but if you say it fits (even if not exactly) as a slang term for properly qualified surgeons then I bow to your superior knowledge.

The problem would be in the other direction DE-EN, translating "Knochenbrecher" (as used above) as "sawbones"
    #11Verfasser Marianne (BE) (237471) 20 Feb. 11, 13:05
    Kommentar
    I remember an English politician who had a brain tumour writing about his experiences in the press. He said he went to see a "sawbones" in Harley St. (A brain surgeon, who in this case literally sawed his skull open.)
    #12Verfasser escoville (237761) 20 Feb. 11, 13:29
    Kommentar
    Thanks all! I updated "Neuer Eintrag" with sawbones = Knochenbrecher,
    since there seems to be a bit of a consensus that it's better
    than "Quacksalber". The more I've read, I see where there's likely
    no real/optimal match for this ... but maybe someone will find one
    someday^^.

OT: #3, Sir Pooh de Bear, re Hants:
    ... the administrative county was changed from 'County of Southampton' to 'County of Hampshire' on 1 April 1959.[citation needed] The short form of the name, often used in postal addresses, is Hants. This abbreviated form is derived from the Old English Hantum plus Scir (meaning a district governed from the settlement now known as Southampton) and the Anglo-Saxons called it Hamtunscir. At the time of the Domesday Book (1086) this had been compressed to Hantescire, hence the contraction to Hants.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hampshire

Who knew? Not I. Maybe that wasn't necessary. I just searched and couldn't find anything on "Hants" on Leo, not even when I entered it into the "Sprachlabor" window. Maybe I misunderstood you though.

But yes, problems searching. I don't know of a search guide for Leo. There is a thread in Betrifft Leo where some people say they search Leo only through Google, FWIW. I haven't tried that yet.
    #13Verfasseropine (680211) 21 Feb. 11, 00:07
    Kommentar
    Hi opine,
    This is what I get when I enter Hants in the search window of the Sprachlabor:

https://tdict.leo.org/forum/previewGeneraldis...

You should get the same, but then again who knows?
    #14Verfasser Sir Pooh de Bear (687643) 21 Feb. 11, 00:32
    Kommentar
    Hi S P d. B, Nope. I get nada. I don't know if it will show it, but I just entered "Hants" into the search window of Sprachlabor:
    Siehe Wörterbuch: Hants

I don't get any of your search results. I've even tried "Suche in allen Foren", if I haven't mentioned that. Bizarre and intriguing.

EDIT: This is weird, but if I type "Hampshire" in (and not Hants), I do get that one thread (in duplicate) in the list at the bottom.
    Weird. I wonder if this is a browser issue?
    Siehe Wörterbuch: hampshire
    #15Verfasseropine (680211) 21 Feb. 11, 00:43
    Kommentar
    Hi opine,

I think you entered the searchword in the top frame, not in the frame below that right above the forum. When you look at my link above, you see the two frames, and that I entered hants in the lower frame. Maybe that fixes the problem?
    #16Verfasser Sir Pooh de Bear (687643) 21 Feb. 11, 11:04
    Kommentar
    Nope. I tried both frames. And triple-checked.
    When I pressed "search" it looks as if I had
    searched in the top frame. Hope that makes sense.
    #17Verfasseropine (680211) 21 Feb. 11, 11:08
    Kommentar
    Yes, it looks like you would enter it in the top frame, right? But obviously you don't. What browser do you use? I am on the plain old IE7 or so.
    #18Verfasser Sir Pooh de Bear (687643) 21 Feb. 11, 11:50
    Kommentar
    No, I entered into both the top and lower frames, in Sprachlabor.
    I know exactly what you mean, and my search results are different from yours.
    I get nothing! Only until I searched for "Hampshire" did I get the links
    you had found. Oy.

Browser: Chrome

Thanks S P d. B for following up. It's very interesting to find out that
    different users get different results while searching! Appreciate.
    Maybe someday we'll get to the bottom of this.^^
    #19Verfasseropine (680211) 21 Feb. 11, 11:58

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt