Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

Oi mate

Comment
    Was heißt eigentlich immer "Oi"? Ist es dasselbe wie "Ay"?
    AuthorGacker10 Nov 05, 03:02
    Comment
    "Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!"- einer der Schalchtrufe von den olympischen Spielen. Oi ist groesstenteils einfach nur 'hey'.
    #1AuthorJil10 Nov 05, 05:05
    Comment
    Yes, as Jil said, it's essentially the same as "hey".

"Oi, mate!" is a call designed to get someone's attention, and would normally be followed by some sort of instruction, eg, "oi mate, come over here a minute!", or "oi mate, get out of my way!".

It could be Australian, but could just as easily be Cockney English, especially if you end the "mate" with a nice glottal stop, instead of the "t" :-)

There's even a Wikipedia article dedicated to the subject (!): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oi
    #2Authorrob_oz10 Nov 05, 06:01
    Comment
    "Oy" yiddish für "tsütsütsü"[auf die Finger spucken-und keinem Schlechtes wünschen]
    #3Authorcheryl-ann10 Nov 05, 06:07
    Comment
    I agree with cheryl-ann. And it's found its way into many languages. It's also very common to use in German.
    #4AuthorKathi10 Nov 05, 09:39
    Comment
    I would have thought that the use of "Oi" in English stemmed from the much older "Ahoy". Am I definitely wrong?
    #5AuthorJoe W10 Nov 05, 10:19
    Comment
    @JoeW: sounds good to me...In Südtirol = "Hoi!" = Hello

"Oggie oi, oggie oi, oggie oggie oggie oi oi oi!" - Somerset cricket supporters.

And of course there was that lovely musical movement known as "Oi!"
    #6AuthorRichard10 Nov 05, 10:33
    Comment
    Oyez descends from the Anglo-Norman oyez, the plural imperative form of oyer, “to hear”; thus oyez means “hear ye” and was used as a call for silence and attention. Although it would have been much heard in Medieval England, it is first recorded as an English word fairly late in the Middle English period, in a work composed around 1425.
    http://www.bartleby.com/61/96/O0209600.html

I assume that there could have been a *singular* version too, which would in fact have been identical to "oi", and may have simply survived in the language without being written down. "Oyez" is a call for attention, and "oi" is precisely that too.
    #7AuthorGhol ‹GB›10 Nov 05, 10:34
    Comment
    In GER we used to say "toi-toi-toi" to wish someone good luck for his next task...
    #8Authorsleipnir10 Nov 05, 11:05
    Comment
    @Richard: Oi in conjunction with music is not necessarily lovely, many right wing extremists listen(ed) to it. So take care if someone invites you to an Oi party!
    #9AuthorAMS10 Nov 05, 12:20
    Comment
    Ich dachte auch an diesen blöden Roboter aus dieser beknackten Show, der immer sagte Tok-tok-tok-oj-oj-oj, was wohl Toitoitoi heißen sollte, denn es waren dann immer irgendwelche Aufgaben zu lösen.
    #10AuthorGacker10 Nov 05, 13:05
    Comment
    @AMS: thanks for the warning, though my "lovely" was meant to be light irony, an English habit which doesn't always come over "electronically" I fear!
    #11AuthorRichard10 Nov 05, 13:49
    Comment
    @Richard: I'm glad to read that you meant it this way! However, I don't want to exclude that there might be some people listening to Oi which are not RWEs. Some of them also like Ska, and Ska has its origin in Jamaica where one will hardly find RWEs. I rather go for good reggae/dub - Jah man!! (not meant in any religious context) :-)
    #12AuthorAMS10 Nov 05, 14:18
    Comment
    @AMS: seen! I like a dub-plate too...
    #13AuthorRichard10 Nov 05, 16:00
    Comment
    @ Richard
    OT!
    judging from a few of your postings I've seen, I reckon you've probably got a pretty similar taste in music to me... you said something about "a change gonn come", "you sure love to ball" and now rub-a-dub... my question is: can you recommend me any german language singers (or rappers or whatever) whose lyrics are good and meaningful, and whose tunes are nice and funky!?
    #14Authortim10 Nov 05, 16:14
    Comment
    @Richard: Don't tell me that you have some of the rare and fabulous 10" vinyl dub plates, too. :-)
    #15AuthorAMS10 Nov 05, 16:15
    Comment
    @Tim
    You should try to get a hand on King Size Dub Vol. III, or check out this link: http://www.intro.de/musik/magazin/880558139
    The King Size Dub compilations have been released by Echo Beach, the label of Nicolai Beverungen, who was the first importer of Adrian Sherwood/ON-U Sound stuff. There are many other fine Echo Beach releases.
    #16AuthorAMS10 Nov 05, 16:25
    Comment
    @tim: I like Die Fantastischen Vier, especially "4:99" and the one with Tag Am Meer on it..! Their lyrics are good, made me laugh and helped me with my German.
    Xavier Naidoo I think is very good in places - "Ich Kenne Nichts.." & others.

Most younger Germans don't seem to have heard of them, but Can are one of my favourites (words won't help much tho'!) Some great stuff too by Faust, Neu etc

Other rap / hip-hop: I'm no expert, but as a Tribe Called Quest /De La Soul / Jungle Bros fan I find a lot of it much more enjoyable than US Gangsta style stuff: Freundeskreis /Sabrina Setlur. Shoud point out that I'm 2 years behind the times: used to see a lot of VIVA / German MTV but don't have a TV at mo'

@AMS/Tim: no 10"dub-plates, but plenty of Tubby, Yabby You, Keith Hudson, Scratch, Congos, Burning Spear, LKJ and other such geniuses of reverb!
    #17AuthorRichard10 Nov 05, 16:36
    Comment
    @tim: This is a link to a recent discussion of German rap/hiphop:https://tdict.leo.org/cgi-bin/dict/forum.cgi?... Not the style of music I know best, I'm afraid, although I do like Die Fantastischen Vier and Fettes Brot - both with clever and funny lyrics. Richard has already mentioned Freundeskreis. Their singer Max Herre has now gone solo and has recorded some songs with his wife Joy Denalane (sp??). Seeed (yes, three e's) from Berlin might also appeal to you.
    Other German music with "good and meaningful" lyrics I can think of: Wir sind Helden, Die Ärzte, Herbert Grönemeyer. Die Ärzte are a punk band from Berlin ("Die beste Band der Welt"- I agree, try to see them in concert if you like their music), and Herbert Grönemeyer has some of the best lyrics in Germany, but his voice and music are not to everyone's liking.
    #18AuthorDragon10 Nov 05, 17:00
    Comment
    @Dragon/Tim: saw Seeed live in Rothenburg o. d. Tauber - they were great!
    Knew I'd forgotten somebody good - Fettes Brot!

And as for Grönemeyer, Dragon's quite right; his more recent stuff is easier to get into, I find.
    #19AuthorRichard10 Nov 05, 17:06
    Comment
    Thanks Richard n Dragon! Looks like i'll be heading down to Saturn then! Actually I saw an mtv show with Fanta 4 playing Tag am Meer live and it sounded pretty cool - so that's what they're like in general eh? Sounds interesting... I'm mainly into that kind of 'more conscious' hiphop like Common, Talib Kweli, Mos Def etc., so I think these sort of people like Fettes Brot etc. would be more my cup of tea than that eejit Bushido or the laughable Fler.

Oh yeah... and I know Seeed already. Actually I've even met half the band. I got to go to the launch party of their new album through my praktikum!!!
    #20Authortim10 Nov 05, 17:10
    Comment
    @Tim: happy shopping! Tag am Meer is a bit "trippier" than most of their other stuff, but don't let that put you off!

Gotta go - "If You Gotta Go, Go Now"

Richard has left the building.
    #21AuthorRichard10 Nov 05, 17:14
    Comment
    yeah me too
    adios!
    #22Authortim10 Nov 05, 17:17
    Comment
    ... getting back to the original topic:

""Oy" yiddish für "tsütsütsü"[auf die Finger spucken-und keinem Schlechtes wünschen]
    cheryl-ann"
    geht, so glaube ich, etwas am ursprünglichen Thema vorbei.
    Von der britischen Armee kenne ich den Ruf "Oi!", um die Aufmerksamkeit zu erwecken. Für mich bedeutet "Oi, mate!" - "Eh, Kumpel!" (im britischen und australischen Sprachgebrauch). Ich lasse mich gerne korrigieren.
    #23AuthorWolfman10 Nov 05, 22:52
    Comment

OI MATE!!!

im gonna blade you
    #24AuthorMatey15 Nov 05, 20:09
    Comment
    I don't really agree with Oi as RWE music, because most of the oi-listners point out, that Oi comes from this cockney thing (cockney rejects, Cock sparrer, to name a few famous oi-bands). And is only bound to working class, drinking and having fun, no politics involved. And that RWE just adopted the style (as they did with the skinhead movement).
    #25Authoranotherone15 Nov 05, 22:56

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt