Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

due to / thanks to / owing to

Topic

due to / thanks to / owing to

Comment
    Haben die obengenannten Ausdrücke eigentlich eine Konnotation im Sinne von:

"infolge" -> Etwas Negatives passierte aufgrund von (due to) etwas anderem Negativem

"dank" -> Etwas Positives passierte dank (thanks to) etwas Positivem

"durch" -> Etwas Neutrales passierte durch (owing to) irgendeinem Umstand.

???
    Ich weiß nicht, ob ich mich erkläre...

Danke !!
    AuthorDonMano (790364) 14 Mar 12, 15:48
    Comment
    "thanks to" kann auch für etwas Negatives verwendet werden; das passiert dann aber meistens als Sarkasmus.
    "due to" - im Sinne von ausgelöst durch etwas
    "owing to" - im Sinne von als Folge / infolge von etwas

IMO
    #1Author dude (253248) 14 Mar 12, 15:56
    Comment
    Zu meinem Erstaunen habe ich kürzlich erst gelernt (shame on me :-) , dass "due to" nie am Satzanfang stehen darf, im Gegensatz zu den anderen Ausdrücken.

Man lernt nie aus.

Herzliche Grüße

gnu
    #2Author gnu (577092) 14 Mar 12, 16:14
    Comment
    Wo hast du das denn gelernt? Ich habe damit eigentlich kein Problem (je nach Satz/Kontext natürlich).
    #3Author dude (253248) 14 Mar 12, 16:21
    Comment
    von einem Muttersprachler bei der Korrektur einer Übersetzung in die englische Sprache. Seither vermeide ich "due to" am Satzanfang, obwohl ich es vorher immer so verwendet habe.

Herzliche Grüße

gnu
    #4Author gnu (577092) 14 Mar 12, 16:22
    Comment
    Agree with all of #1.

#2: Zu meinem Erstaunen habe ich kürzlich erst gelernt (shame on me :-) , dass "due to" nie am Satzanfang stehen darf

AFAIK, more traditional/conservative writers do consider it bad style to start a sentence with "Due to".
    #5AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 14 Mar 12, 16:35
    Comment
    ... kann sein, es war die Übersetzung eines juristischen Fachtextes ins Englische und hier ist das Sprachregister doch eher konservativ.

Aber dennoch interessant, dass das Thema unter Muttersprachlern ebenfalls umstritten ist. Man kann also doch "due to" am Satzanfang verwenden?
    #6Author gnu (577092) 14 Mar 12, 16:47
    Comment
    gnu has learnt what I would have told him/her, namely 'due' is an adjective, and if you use it, you must say what is due to what. This makes it very difficult to imagine a context where 'due to' could come at the beginning of a sentence.

I.e. you can say 'The flooding was due to the heavy rain' but not 'Due to the heavy rain, the fields were flooded'.

Now that may seem pedantic, but quite honestly I've had enough editorial experience to be on my guard when I see 'Due to' at the start of a sentence. I wouldn't automatically change it (though I'd like to), but as often as not, the sentence turns out to be unclear. (A bit like sentences that start 'Based on', though they're usually worse.)
    #7Author escoville (237761) 14 Mar 12, 17:52
    Comment
    Agree with Gnu and KinkyAfro that it is not considered good style to begin a sentence with "due to." Here's part of what the Oxford Guide to English Usage says:

"the use of due to as a compound preposition is widely regarded as unacceptable."

You can avoid the problem by using "because of" instead. As in, "Because of staff shortages, there is no catering on this train."

"Owing to" has been used for a longer period than "due to" as a compound preposition and is regarded as acceptable style.

Despite the strictures of the purists, "due to" is widely used and even good writers use it these days.

EDIT I have now seen Escoville's contribution. The point is that in this usage "due to" has ceased to be used as an adjective and is being treated as a compound preposition. An example of the original correct usage of "due to" as an adjective would be: "I showed him the respect due to a doctor."

I agree that if you must use "due to", don't put it at the beginning of a sentence.

#8Author kew_l_s (855544) 14 Mar 12, 17:54
    Comment
    Like I said earlier, it depends on the context, IMO. For instance, I have no problems with a sentence like

http://www.csupomona.edu/~nova/scientists/art...
    Due to his illness, he never grew to full size and had a notably high voice.

But that's me, or maybe it's another AE/BE thing.
    #9Author dude (253248) 14 Mar 12, 18:18

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt