Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

etw. offenlassen

Comment
    Wie würde man dieses abstrakte deutsche Verb auf Englisch idiomatisch wiedergeben?

1) Sie haben offengelassen, ob der Transfer Montag oder Dienstag stattfindet.

"They have left it open whether the transfer will be Tuesday or Wednesday." googelt ganz schlecht, ebenso "left open whether".

Auch bei diesen Beispielen geht "to leave the precise ... open" wohl nicht:

2)Der Ausdruck 'sich etwas antun' lässt die Art der geplanten Handlung offen.

3)Der heute abgeschlossene Vertrag lässt die genaue Ausgestaltung offen.

AuthorIlldiko (763882) 17 Jun 12, 04:21
    Comment
    I don't think 'left open whether' is wrong grammatically, but there may be a logical contradiction between leaving something (completely) open and narrowing it down to one of two days. To me something like 'haven't yet decided/pinned down the exact day' would be more likely, though just 'left the exact day open' would probably also be okay. I would leave out 'it,' but including it probably wouldn't be wrong either.

The same might go for a specific point to be decided, like the particular way something is done; to me that would more typically be 'not yet decided/agreed on/ finalized/etc.' than 'left open,' but I also don't think 'left the precise X open' is necessarily wrong.

See what others say.
    #1Author hm -- us (236141) 17 Jun 12, 07:09
    Comment
    I recently came up with "had not given notice whether..."
    #2Author Alan (De/US) (236282) 27 Jul 16, 16:22
    Comment
    the day/date will be optionally Monday or Tuesday.
    ...might work.
    I think Transfer in German* is normally called (hotel OR airport) shuttle in English. Maybe that's why the google results were so low?

*This is about travel plans, right?
    #3Author wupper (354075) 27 Jul 16, 16:52
    Comment
    I think Transfer in German* is normally called (hotel OR airport) shuttle in English. Maybe that's why the google results were so low?

*This is about travel plans, right?

The original query is more than four years old, and I am not quite sure whether Illdiko is still around to answer your question. But since the original sentence was "...ob der Transfer...stattfindet" , I am not sure that this was about a shuttle. "The shuttle takes place on Monday or Tuesday" sounds strange.
    #4Author Dragon (238202) 27 Jul 16, 17:10
    Comment
    Illdiko = Rodos = M-A-Z
    #5Author penguin (236245) 27 Jul 16, 17:23
    Comment
    The original query is more than four years old
    I completely missed that this was a Lazarus thread, and you must be right about Transfer...stattfindet.
    #6Author wupper (354075) 27 Jul 16, 17:29
    Comment
    I completely missed that this was a Lazarus thread.

No problem, wupper. Jesus loved Lazarus.

And Lazarus continued to live and prosper.
    #7AuthorHappyWarrior (964133) 27 Jul 16, 18:20
    Comment
    Lazarus thread - wunderbar, Wupper!
    #8Author Dr. Dark (658186) 28 Jul 16, 10:11

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt