Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

dash; pep; spunkiness; verve; vim; moxie

Topic

dash; pep; spunkiness; verve; vim; moxie

Comment
    Are these synonymous?
    AuthorIlldiko (763882) 27 Sep 12, 01:17
    Comment
    "dash" doesn't fit in for me, but maybe I don't know that meaning of "dash".

The others I would consider somewhat synonymous.

Did you use a German word that produced all of those results?
    #1Author Ffive (876338) 27 Sep 12, 02:19
    Comment
    a dash, to me, is a quick run/spurt, as in "a mad dash to catch the bus/train/etc."

The others could conceivably be synonymous, depending on context.

#2Author dude (253248) 27 Sep 12, 03:31
    Comment
    Merriam Webster online gives two definitions for dash that are similar to the others listed:
    dash:
    4 : flashy display
    5 : animation in style and action

It's not common, but it is more or less similar if not synonymous with pep, spunkiness, verve, vim and moxie.

We could haggle over the various shades of meaning that each might have that distinguish it from the other, but more or less, you are right.
    #3Author svaihingen (705121) 27 Sep 12, 03:43
    Comment
    In BE at least, dash is more or less synonymous, but additionally implies "with style" I'd say; "dashing" is marked "dated" in some dictionaries BTW
    #4Authormikefm (760309) 27 Sep 12, 09:46
    Comment
    The German words embracing all of them would be "Schwung" and "Elan" and pizzazz probably fits in, as well.
    #5AuthorIlldiko (763882) 28 Sep 12, 01:41
    Comment
    a) The actor has a lot of pizzazz. - Der Schauspieler hat viel Elan.
    b) The song has plenty of pizzazz. - Das Lied hat viel Schwung.

Kann man denn hier beliebig dash, pep, spunkiness, verve, vim, moxie an Stelle von pizzazz einsetzen?
    #6AuthorValery (329912) 29 Sep 12, 22:48
    Comment
    @#2
    The meaning you've given is for the countable noun "a dash". But there is also the uncountable noun "dash" which is defined in the Concise OED as "confidence and vigour; panache"
    #7Author kew_l_s (855544) 29 Sep 12, 23:32
    Comment
    @6: The short answer is no. They can all be applied to people, but they are not interchangeable, and most of them would not be used to characterize a song.

Just one example: Spunky contains the suggestion of spirit in the face of less than favorable circumstances; it implies an element of courage. Pep does not imply anything about the circumstances.
    #8Author SD3 (451227) 30 Sep 12, 00:47

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt