Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

pull away/out - usage

Comment
    Is it possible to say the following in English?

1. to pull somebody away from you

2. to pull someone out of your life

The basic idea is that someone wants to express that he cannot live together with someone else. So, he goes: I guess I have to pull him/her out of my life.
    /I have to pull him/her away from me.

Thank you in advance.
    AuthorJacob01 Mar 06, 17:41
    Comment
    'Pull' implies a movement towards the puller. We might say 'I must pull back', but it isn't a common expression. Pulling someone away from you can be done only by someone else, not oneself. More likely would be 'I must get away from him/her'.

You might 'shut' someone out of your life, if they were bad enough.
    #1AuthorNorton01 Mar 06, 17:59
    Comment
    not like that, but you can

1. push somebody away (from you) (to do something to keep them at a distance -- He was inconsolable after the accident -- I tried to help him but he kept pushing me away.)

2. to put someone out of your life (It's obvious from her actions that she doesn't love me so I'll just have to put her out of my life.) Implies a implicit decision. Normally you would 'put someone out of your mind' (refuse to think about them anymore) rather than out of your life.

If I understood you correctly, he would say something like: I guess I'LL have to PUT him/her out of my life. But that's rather strong (it wouldn't be a pleasant situation) and would be a rather awkward wording. Even stronger would be to 'cut' (if they did something really terrible).

From this context, I can't find a good way to phrase it. Maybe 'break things off with him/her'?
    #2AuthorToni (US)01 Mar 06, 18:04

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt