Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

read / lesen (?) usage

Comment
    In addition to the standard meaning in English (I read a book), read also has several other uses. Here's one of them:

From the Oxford Dictionaty - http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definiti...

1.7 [NO OBJECT] (Of a piece of writing) convey a specified impression to the reader:
    the brief note read like a cry for help

1.8 [NO OBJECT, WITH COMPLEMENT] (Of a passage, text, or sign) contain or consist of specified words; have a certain wording:
    the placard read “We want justice.”

Does lesen have these meanings in German?
    Authoreric (new york) (63613) 07 Sep 14, 17:21
    Comment
    The first meaning you cited could be translated as sich lesen, at least some of the time. I'm not sure if it would work in your (Oxford) example, though.

I'm not a native German speaker. Wait for them to answer it. I was just looking for something to do... ;-)
    #1Authorwupper (354075) 07 Sep 14, 17:33
    Comment
    wupper you're right!

The second would be: Auf dem Plakat stand ...
    #2Authorbluesky (236159) 07 Sep 14, 17:47
    Comment
    wupper, das erste Beispiel kann man tatsächlich wörtlich übersetzen (und würde ich auch): Die kurze Nachricht liest sich wie ein Hilfeschrei.

bluesky, das zweite Beispiel könnte man ergänzen Auf dem Plakat stand ... zu lesen, wobei ... auch nachgestellt sein kann: Auf dem Plakat stand zu lesen: "..." Das ist aber beides leicht gehobene literarische Sprache, kein gesprochenes Deutsch.
    #3AuthorPottkieker (871812) 07 Sep 14, 18:26
    Comment
    "Gewöhnliche" Übersetzung:

Der Text auf dem Plakat lautete.
    #4Authorad.joe (236303) 07 Sep 14, 22:17

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard