Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

tweak - aufziehen

Comment
    Eine Freundin aus den USA schrieb gestern: I am just tweaking you two! Aus dem Kontext schließe ich, dass sie meinte "Ich ziehe Euch doch nur auf!". Kann das jemand bestätigen, und wo ist das gebräuchlich?
    AuthorLady Grey (235863) 13 Oct 14, 15:04
    Comment
    Oder vielleicht eine wildgewordene Autokorrektur von "tease"?
    #1Authorderkay (716468) 13 Oct 14, 15:06
    Comment
    Nein, sicher nicht, denn ich traf sie hinterher und sie wiederholte es. Und bitte jetzt kein "Warum fragst Du sie nicht selber?" - ich bin mir recht sicher, dass ich sie im Kontext richtig verstanden habe, es interessiert mich aber, wie verbreitet dieser Gebrauch ist.
    #2AuthorLady Grey (235863) 13 Oct 14, 16:52
    Comment
    Mir ist das bis jetzt noch nie untergelaufen. Wo kommt sie denn her?
    #3Authordude (253248) 13 Oct 14, 17:43
    Comment
    Sie kommt aus Wisconsin.
    #4AuthorLady Grey (235863) 13 Oct 14, 17:53
    Comment
    This may be a Mid-Western phrase. Googling it, I get hits that seem to all come from that area: Madison, WI; Chicago, etc.
    #5Authordude (253248) 13 Oct 14, 17:58
    Comment
    I've heard it somewhere like maybe on TV in that meaning; similar to 'pulling your chain.'

I wouldn't say it myself, but I don't know that it's as much regional as maybe just newer, younger slang.

I did come across one meaning of 'tweak' I had never heard of, sense 2 in Webster's:

Webster's 3rd unabridged:
    ¹tweak - 1: to pinch and pull with a sudden jerk or twist: JERK, JOG, SNATCH, TWIST ... 2: to pull the nose of: pull by the nose {political techniques of tweaking babies and shaking hands ...}

I don't recall ever seeing people pull the nose of a baby or small child, so maybe that's an archaic custom. I do have a vague memory that my grandfather used to pretend to do that to me and then show me the tip of his thumb between his fingers in a fist, trying to make me think that he had pulled off the tip of my nose. I didn't think it was that funny, and I don't think there was any word for it; it was just a joke of his.

Anyway, I didn't find any proof of the 'tease' or 'irritate' sense in my older dictionaries, but maybe a slang dictionary would have it.
    #6Authorhm -- us (236141) 13 Oct 14, 18:08
    Comment
    OT: Auch in Deutschland ist es üblich, Kindern auf diese Art Nasenspitzen "abzunehmen". Ein Wort dafür kenne ich aber auch nicht.
    #7Authorharambee (91833) 13 Oct 14, 18:14
    Comment
    pons sagt u.a. zupfen und das finde ich in diesem Zusammenhang gut. (sich bemerkbar machen)
    #8Authornoli (489500) 13 Oct 14, 18:22
    Comment
    "4
    chiefly US : to criticize or make fun of (someone or something)

His friends tweaked [=teased] him for gaining weight."

( http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/tweak )

"v. tweaked, tweak·ing, tweaks
    v.tr.
    1. To pinch, pluck, or twist sharply: tweaked her sister's ear.
    2. To adjust; fine-tune: tweaked her computer setup.
    3. To make fun of; tease.
    "

( https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html... )
    #9Authorframi_s (835229) 13 Oct 14, 19:20
    Comment
    I don't know or like the various AE definitions offered.
    I use tweak to mean something different than this.

Maybe she was poking you, as Facebook starting using the term about eight or ten years ago.
    #10AuthorMike - US (919790) 13 Oct 14, 19:57
    Comment
    As I said, I wouldn't use it myself like that either.

But thank you, frami, for the dictionary citations, which seem to confirm that it's just newish AE and not necessarily regional within AE.

OT

And harambee, thanks for that too. That grandfather was the one from the German side of the family -- wonder if that's relevant or just a coincidence.
    #11Authorhm -- us (236141) 13 Oct 14, 20:42
    Comment
    The nose thing is a very common 'joke' to play on children in the UK, as well.

http://static.nichtlustig.de/comics/full/0410...
    #12AuthorRrabbit (1029501) 14 Oct 14, 07:56
    Comment
    Ich habe vor Urzeiten mal ein Jahr in WI gewohnt und während ich es aktiv nicht so verwende, ist mir diese Bedeutung doch vertraut.
    #13Authorhelga_HH (247600) 14 Oct 14, 10:06

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt