Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

to look forward to immer +-ing?

Topic

to look forward to immer +-ing?

Comment
    Terry Pratchett, Snuff:
    “I'll look forward with interest to see“ etc.
    Poor copy-editing or correct?
    Author Ferenczi (237228) 03 Sep 20, 01:29
    Comment
    The former, probably, but hard to tell without at least a complete sentence or two.

look forward to see ... - voraus- / vorwärtssehen, um ... zu sehen
    look forward to seeing ... - sich auf ... freuen
    #1Author hm -- us (236141) 03 Sep 20, 01:50
    Comment
    “'Anyway, well done! I'll look forward with interest to see what young Jane writes.' Next day, Vimes took his little boy fishing“ etc.
    #2Author Ferenczi (237228) 03 Sep 20, 03:30
    Comment

It’s not so much the grammar, but the logic that’s rather strange here. Strictly speaking, what he’s saying is that he’s not looking forward to seeing Jane’s writings yet, but expects to some time in the future.

#3Author Stravinsky (637051) 03 Sep 20, 07:41
    Comment

Context: Young Jane hasn't written anything yet, but aspires to become a writer.

But the whole phrase sounds funny. Shouldn't it rather be: "I'll look forward with interest to seeing what young Janes is going to/will write"?

#4Author Ferenczi (237228) 03 Sep 20, 16:02
    Comment

Das ist von T.P. ... dessen Wesen sprechen nicht alle "schönes" Englisch ...

:-)

#5Author no me bré (700807) 03 Sep 20, 17:26
    Comment

Just careless, I think -- hovering between "I'll look forward to seeing" and "I'll be interested to see". I suspect the author got thrown off course by the "with interest".

#4: The present tense "she writes" is not unusual, in my opinion.

E.g. "So she's going to be a writer! I'll be interested to see what kind of thing she writes."

I think that, having had the future tense once, we don't feel we need to have it a second time.

And re #3: "I'll look forward to ...": no, it's not logical, but we do say it. (Or perhaps the logic of it is that I will continue to look forward to it until such time as it happens.)

#6AuthorHecuba - UK (250280)  03 Sep 20, 18:11
    Comment

Regarding what's usual and what's not, I agree with Hecuba -- who in fact could be said to know more than I about it because both Hecuba and Terry Pratchett are "UK" -- and I just wanted to add that the seeming carelessness, the hovering between expressions, might be attributable to that fact that Sam Vimes had not always been in the habit of expressing himself in such formal or polite terms.

If memory serves.

#7Author Janette B. (1227601) 03 Sep 20, 21:44
    Comment

Nach meinem nichtmuttersprachlichen Verständnis der englischen Grammatik kann sich "to see" hier nur auf "interest" beziehen, aber keinesfalls auf "look forward". Also: I [do whatever] with interest to see what young Jane writes. Dann hab ich auch kein Problem mit dem Präsens, denn das Interesse tritt zu derselben Zeit auf wie das Schreiben. Etwas seltsam scheint mir dabei nur das Fehlen der Präposition "to" bei "look forward". Muttersprachler mögen beurteilen, ob "look forward" auch ohne Objekt funktioniert, etwa im Sinne eines allgemeinen "vorwärts schauen" oder "der Zukunft entgegensehen". LEO kennt das nicht.

#8Author dirk (236321) 04 Sep 20, 07:14
    Comment

In my view, the sentence simply isn't correct*, however one tries to explain it. And "interest" is usually followed by "in --ing".

*though I think one might not notice that when reading at normal speed.

#9AuthorHecuba - UK (250280)  04 Sep 20, 10:52

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt