Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

allgemeinverständlicher englischer Ausdruck für Durchgang (trial)

Topic

allgemeinverständlicher englischer Ausdruck für Durchgang (trial)

Comment

Wir erstellen derzeit die Instruktionen für ein Experiment, das sich auch an Personen richtet, die nicht oft (oder vielleicht noch nie vorher) an so etwas teilgenommen haben. Normalerweise würden wir den Begriff trial (dt. Durchgang) in den Instruktionen verwenden. Ich bin aber nicht sicher, ob das allgemeinverständlich genug ist. Hier ein Beispiel:

"This part contains 30 trials. On each trial, you will see two images on the screen for 4 seconds."

Geht das oder sollten wir es besser ersetzen, z.B.

"This part contains 30 screens. On each screen, you will see two images for 4 seconds."

Falls wir es ersetzen sollen, wäre dann die obige Lösung ok oder gibt es noch andere Begriffe, die passen würden?

Author Nica (de) (236745) 14 Oct 20, 17:30
    Comment

"This part contains 30 screens" sounds slightly odd to me. Maybe "There are 30 screens in this part"?

Here's one from the University of Greenwich which uses "trials" in the instructions:

The following test takes about 5 minutes and is really just a bit of fun.There are 14 trials and you will receive your score at the end.

https://www.superrecognisers.com/

I would say that you can guess from the context what they mean.

#1Author CM2DD (236324)  14 Oct 20, 17:42
    Comment

Danke! Dann bleiben wir vielleicht doch bei "trials", wenn sonst niemand widerspricht ;)

#2Author Nica (de) (236745) 14 Oct 20, 18:32
    Comment

Ich muss gestehen, dass mich "14 trials" erst mal verwirrt hätte; aber ich bin natürlich auch kein Muttersprachler. Für die ganz Doofen wäre 'screens' aber vielleicht doch klarer ;-)

#3Author Gibson (418762) 14 Oct 20, 19:21
    Comment

Statt 'contains' fände ich, wie CM2DD, etwas anderes besser. Ich würde 'consists of ' schreiben.

Ich würde 'trials' lassen - oder ggfs. vorm Start erklären.

#4AuthorBraunbärin (757733) 14 Oct 20, 19:37
    Comment

Meines Erachtens geht auch "runs of the test" bzw. "runs of the experiment"!

#5AuthorRoland-DUES (1290252)  14 Oct 20, 19:41
    Comment

I really don't like 'trials,' because especially to people unfamiliar with the vocabulary of science experiments, it could sound like you're accusing the participants and making them defend themselves, as if they were in court.

I also agree that 'consists of' is better than 'contains,' but I wonder if you couldn't phrase the whole thing in simpler English, as a matter of principle. Even 'image' is not the most basic vocabulary.

This part has 30 rounds. In each round, you will see 2 pictures and have 4 seconds to respond.

#6Author hm -- us (236141) 15 Oct 20, 00:25
    Comment

#6 - What do you think about "runs" then?

#7AuthorRoland-DUES (1290252) 15 Oct 20, 01:37
    Comment
    To me that sounds like a different meaning, more like 'iterations,' 'repeats.' The experimenters might run the test once with the first group of subjects, then again and again with different groups.
    #8Author hm -- us (236141) 15 Oct 20, 02:24
    Comment

"Tests"?

#9Author RTH01 (932829) 15 Oct 20, 07:32
    Comment

Again, I don't think you would call a single screen or group of images a test, because the whole thing, the sequence of 30 or the entire effort with the group of subjects, is a test, an experiment (= Versuch).

'Screens' would be understandable, although it didn't seem all that idiomatic to me at first glance. Or maybe 'views'? (Harder though from the point of view of Simple English -- not easy to sound out.)
    #10Author hm -- us (236141) 15 Oct 20, 08:08
    Comment

I don't see why an experiment couldn't comprise a number of tests. And "tests" seems more immediately understandable to me than the other words suggested.

#11Author RTH01 (932829) 15 Oct 20, 10:06
    Comment

you will see two images for 4 seconds

Do you mean you will see two images for 4 seconds each ? Or do you mean two images next to each other?

If the latter, then I would say In this part, we are going to show you 30 pictures. Each one will be on the screen for four seconds.

I wouldn't use the word trial for the reason given by hm--us in #6, and test is only somewhat better. Some people may be put off and/or unduly stressed if they think they are being 'tested'.

#12Author amw (532814) 15 Oct 20, 10:26
    Comment

Ist das sowas wie ein "covert memory test" ohne explizite Aufgabe oder müssen die Probanden auch bei jedem Bild bzw. jedem Bildpaar etwas machen (z.B. die typische Frage indoor oder outdoor beantworten)? In letztgenanntem Fall könnte man vielleicht auch von 30 tasks sprechen.

#13Author harambee (91833) 15 Oct 20, 10:41
    Comment

Danke an alle!

Ich denke, "rounds" könnte am ehesten funktionieren (und werde auch "images" durch "pictures" ersetzen). "Runs", "tests" und "tasks" haben eine andere Bedeutung, deshalb kann ich diese Begriffe nicht verwenden. Es können ja auch Probanden dabei sein, die die Fachbegriffe kennen und völlig irritiert wären, wenn die plötzlich ganz anders verwendet werden.

#12 Zwei Bilder gleichzeitig. In einem anderen Teil des Experiments wird je ein Bild und ein Audioclip gleichzeitig präsentiert, deshalb kann ich nicht einfach "X pictures" schreiben.

#14Author Nica (de) (236745)  15 Oct 20, 10:47
    Comment

A "round" is when you go along a path or through a series of activities or stages until you get to the end, then you start again from the beginning, which is the second round. This sounds like a single round of 30 pairs of images.

You could say "30 sets/pairs of pictures". But, like the researchers at Greenwhich University, I'm more optimistic about people's ability to work out whether or not they are in court. "Trials" has multiple, commonly used other meanings, and this use would be in context.

#15Author CM2DD (236324)  15 Oct 20, 14:28
    Comment

Just tried one of these from Harvard (the site is also designed for the general public):

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/takeate...

They seem to use the word "task" for each individual thing you have to do (so not helpful if you're using that for something else!).

#16Author CM2DD (236324)  15 Oct 20, 14:55
    Comment

Nochmal danke an alle! Anscheinend ist jeder Begriff zumindest für Einzelne missverständlich. Wir sind jetzt bei "trials" geblieben und sind zuversichtlich, dass die Probanden das aus dem Kontext ableiten können.

#17Author Nica (de) (236745) 17 Oct 20, 21:01
    Comment
    Of course participants are likely to be able to figure out almost anything if the test as a whole is simple enough. But it seems strange to me to deliberately choose a word that's likely to be more confusing, and/or have more negative associations, than other options.
    #18Author hm -- us (236141) 18 Oct 20, 01:30
    Comment

#18.

Nur ist mW 'trials' ist doch völlig üblich in dieserart Experimente...

#19AuthorBraunbärin (757733) 18 Oct 20, 11:29

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt