Hola. I've said what I have to say (#12, #61) about
• the emotional need for community and solidarity, especially during unprecedented global social and political crises like those in recent years;
• the intellectual value of exchanging ideas, fact-checking sources, and comparing journalism from different countries and cultures; and
• the unique capabilities of this forum, including our long record of largely successful self-moderation, despite the occasional conflict which we usually ask the LEO team to resolve.
I still stand by all that, and I appreciate all those who have spoken out with similar thoughts, including surprisingly many otherwise quiet readers.
It seems to me that we have been very patiently waiting to hear something, ever since NRdW 7 came to an end on March 11. Siehe auch: Neuigkeiten vom Rest der Welt 7
That's been nearly a week.
We've so far managed to keep NRdW 8 free of any hint of the terrible war now raging in Europe, because it matters to us too to have a place where people don't have to read disturbing details of war if they don't choose to. So far, that safe place is now NRdW 8.Siehe auch: Neuigkeiten vom Rest der Welt 8
However, the longer this goes on without resolution, the longer there appears to be de facto censorship of the entire topic of Ukraine, not just in the NRdW thread but in the entire forum.
Surely that can't be the intention of the LEO team, to simply acquiesce or even collaborate in Putin's attempt to repress all factual reporting and genuine discussion.
In fact, it would be almost Orwellian to go on with the ostrich method, as if the war were not even happening, as if it were possible to keep on writing only about minor linguistic quips and squabbles, when the democratic world as we know it is under growing existential threat.
It seems to me that there are still a few options, any of which would be better than the current limbo.
1) There could be a separate parallel NRdW track for the war, within L&L, on a temporary or indefinite basis
, with the plan to recombine the two strands eventually, after the immediate crisis is past. The track or subthread with more disturbing content would not need to explicitly have the word 'Ukraine' or 'war' in its title. It could have a less direct subtitle, such as 'May include reports of conflict and violence.' Or it could even just be called NRdW (b) as opposed to (a),
with a brief description in the introduction inside the thread, where it would be clear to participants but not distracting or upsetting to other forum users.
2) The content about the war could be spun off in a separate thread to the chatroom,
where it would be less visible on the homepage and more clearly peripheral to the main purpose of the forum, but still accessible to those of us to whom it is important and meaningful.
3) There could continue to be no separation into two threads, but a new courtesy flagging within the one thread,
*** Ukraine ***
*** other ***
at the top of each post. That would not be my personal preference, but it would address the LEO team's preference against establishing yet another new ongoing thread.
I would personally vote for (1) or (2), but I think we could manage any of the options. Or any other suggestion, for that matter, if anyone has a better idea.
We could even try something on a trial basis, and change if it didn't work.
I just don't think going on with de facto censorship indefinitely is a good option.
If we can't get a verdict before the weekend, would it be okay to just assume option (2) and continue NRdW 7 in the chatroom? That would be my suggestion, to resolve the limbo at least in the short term.