Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

Kilt

Comment

In "A time to kill" von John Grisham sagt eine Zeugin: "Just a few seconds before he was kilt." Die Person stammt aus dem ländlichen Norden Mississippis. Ist das ein Druckfehler oder ist das eine Nebenform von killed?

AuthorSelima (107) 02 Jul 22, 16:27
    Comment

Looks to me like an attempt to get across their accent, rather like in the case of Hagrid in Harry Potter.

The OED also mentions it as being used as a past participle: "exceptionally the participle appears as kilt (compare spilt ), now regarded as an Irishism, and sometimes used jocularly".

#1AuthorCM2DD (236324) 02 Jul 22, 16:31
    Comment

Vielen Dank. Ich hatte ein bißchen im Netz gesucht, aber nichts dazu gefunden.

Grisham gibt in der Tat immer mal wieder den lokalen Sprachgebrauch wieder, v.a. wenn es um Rednecks und Schwarze geht. Insofern verwundert das bei dieser Frau nicht. Allerdings ist in diesem Dialog das "kilt" das einzige abweichende Wort. Drum war ich mir da nicht sicher.

#2AuthorSelima (107) 02 Jul 22, 17:03
    Comment

Google Books suggests that it was used by Black slaves. Putting that particular word in dialect could spark all sorts of associations.

#3AuthorCM2DD (236324) 02 Jul 22, 17:10
    Comment

Dann wundert mich das allerdings, weil besagte Frau die Mutter des von einem Schwarzen erschossenen weißen Rednecks ist.

#4AuthorSelima (107) 02 Jul 22, 17:40
    Comment

Victoria Roberts has written a bodice-ripper titled "Kill or Be Kilt." (A bodice-ripper is a description of a historical romance novel in which the sexy heroine rips off the bodice (the upper part of a woman's garment) prior to passionate sex.)

In standard English this would be "Kill or Be Killed," a generally familiar phrase. But this series takes place in the highlands of Scotland, so it's likely that "kilt" is a pun in this case, meaning both "killed" and the Scottish kilt.

https://www.amazon.com/Kill-Be-Kilt-Highland-...

#5Authoreric (new york) (63613) 03 Jul 22, 01:06
    Comment

in which the sexy heroine rips off the bodice 

I always thought it was the hero who does the ripping ;-)

#6AuthorGibson (418762) 03 Jul 22, 01:15
    Comment

There's a website named "Quartz – the great American word mapper." The website developer compiled a database, counting the frequency of words contained in tweets, by location. These are mapped on a map of the US, showing where these words are most used.

The website shows that the word KILT is most prevalent in the Deep South. Since there's no region of the US where kilts are worn, it seems very likely to me that these uses are slang or informal forms of "killed."

Here's the website. Enter KILT in the search box above either one of the maps.

https://qz.com/862325/the-great-american-word...

#7Authoreric (new york) (63613) 03 Jul 22, 01:17
    Comment

I always thought it was the hero who does the ripping ;- )

Of course you're right! I ought to proofread my posts before I press Absenden.

https://romancewiki.bham.ac.uk/index.php/Bodi...

#8Authoreric (new york) (63613)  03 Jul 22, 01:21
    Comment

Toll, das mit der Karte! Herzlichen Dank, Eric!

#9AuthorSelima (107) 03 Jul 22, 10:11
    Comment

"Why is it called 'kilt', anyway?"

"Because that's what will happen to you if you call it a skirt!"

Don't run with bagpipes. You put an "Aye" out, or worse yet, get kilt!

Sorry, aber das was ein 11-Meter 😉

#10AuthorB.L.Z. Bubb (601295) 03 Jul 22, 10:15
    Comment

Bei Interesse an weitere Karten dieser Art (Funktionstüchigkeit nicht en detail überprüft) :Siehe auch: Maps of American regional word usages and pro...

#11Authorno me bré (700807)  03 Jul 22, 10:26
    Comment

Re #8:Oh. Like you, my association was passion not rape. What an odd choice of genre title, in that case.

#12AuthorGibson (418762) 03 Jul 22, 10:46
    Comment

#8, 11: Das mit dem rape scheint mir eine Privatinterpretation des Autors des verlinkten Romancewiki zu sein. Normale Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romance_novel#B...):

The success of these novels prompted a new style of writing romance, concentrating primarily on historical fiction tracking the monogamous relationship between a helpless heroine and the hero who rescued her, even if he had been the one to place her in danger.[18] The covers of these novels tended to feature scantily clad women being grabbed by the hero, and caused the novels to be referred to as bodice rippers.[41] A Wall Street Journal article in 1980 referred to these bodice rippers as "publishing's answer to the Big Mac: They are juicy, cheap, predictable, and devoured in stupefying quantities by legions of loyal fans."[45] The term bodice ripper is now considered offensive to many in the romance industry.[41]

#13AuthorMattes (236368)  03 Jul 22, 15:28
    Comment

Danke - mangels persönlicher Erfahrung kann ich den Inhalt nicht beurteilen, aber rape hat mich schon sehr überrascht. Ich kann mir nicht vorstellen, dass romantische Geschichten, in den Frauen als fester Bestandteil des Plots vergewaltigt werden, eine große Fangemeinde unter Frauen gefunden hätten.

The term bodice ripper is now considered offensive to many in the romance industry

Da leidet offenbar die Künstlerseele.

#14AuthorGibson (418762)  03 Jul 22, 19:43

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt