Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

Crossover Chat #357

Comment

This is not just another chat room. We are here to improve our language skills, German or English, and to encourage a spirit of community. All who share those aims are welcome.

In the immortal words of our founder, odondon irl: «ein Faden, in dem Deutschsprechende auf Englisch und Englischsprechende auf Deutsch schreiben können, um zu üben, um Korrekturen zu ergattern, um des Spaßes Willen».

Our previous thread Crossover Chat #356 can be found here:

related discussion: Crossover Chat No 356

Participants were (in no particular order, other than alphabetical); Amy-MiMi, Dixie, Goldammer, He-le-na, hm—us, Jabonah, Jesse_Pinkman, martin—cal, mbshu, patman2, penguin, plidsi, Pottkieker, RenaRd, virus, Wachtelkönig, Wik (apologies to anybody I might have misspelled or even forgotten)

Average posts per day: 2.3 (slightly higher than the previous Fädle)

We had 12 posts in German from 4 different contributors, a recruitment drive is required!

Topics:

• Contrary to persistent rumours, Wik did not murder his neighbour E(a)rnest (or did he?)…
    • The Ladies’ soccer/football European championship has prompted a lot of “nerves” contributions
    • Snails are travelling again, we chatted about Belize, Andalucia, the West of Ireland, Mallorca, Berlin, Ulm, Lausanne and many other places. Paris appears to be a contentious topic, though.
    • Goldammer is counting plants.
    • RenaRd is busy with his magnum opus, i.e.; organizing his vast music collection. If only the pigeons wouldn’t interfere…
    • Virus is great at organizing work events ;)
    • Some snails went missing but re-appeared, others seem to be lost and are strongly encouraged to report about their whereabouts…
    • pizza toppings are a fun thing to talk about

Have fun in this new home!

AuthorWik (237414)  06 Aug 22, 18:17
    Comment

Thanks for moving us to our new shell.

#1AuthorPottkieker (871812) 06 Aug 22, 20:35
    Comment

Virus is great at organizing work events ;)

... and not so much about remembering having mentioned something like that... 😉 The bigger topic was to organise this family-together. How would you call the German "einen Sack Flöhe hüten" in English? That was exactly how it was. (My working group consists only of 5 persons. The *Surname* family could be at least around 20 people. See?) At last we were 9 out of 20.

Thanks a lot for the new shell! Dinner is simmering on the stove and so I've stolen some minutes for the forum.

#2Authorvirus (343741) 07 Aug 22, 20:09
    Comment

Thanks a lot for the new shell, WIK, and the list of topics. I’m lookimg forward to reading more exciting news about journeys and meetings and personal highlights. I hope many more snails will be gathering around the camp fire to tell their stories.

It must be great, virus, to be part of a huge family, though arduous sometimes. From my family no one is left, and Mrs RenaRd has only one sister-in-law with four children and a (to me) unknown amount of grand children. We hardly ever meet, except for a nephew who visits us regularly.

#3AuthorRenaRd (907225) 09 Aug 22, 11:06
    Comment

Don't let me open that can of worms, RenaRd. My family has so many branches... Due to several divorces from my side (father's and mother's) and due to the nice and big family of my husband's. To speak only of my part: I have 5 "half"-siblings, none of them being a "full" sister or brother (two brothers, three sisters - and I never use "half"). I grew up with the only son of my father's. I use to say that I don't have a family tree but a family scrub. At least I have 4 nieces and 2 nephews... (if I count my husband's nieces and nephews it's 9 nieces and 7 nephews.)

When it comes to the famliy of my husband's: I was introduced to them at the wedding party of his younger brother, having all (he has three) siblings and their children there, and including aunts and uncles. Then a lot of friends - it was a big party. This was 24 years ago.

#4Authorvirus (343741) 10 Aug 22, 07:32
    Comment

I'm back home, after a lovely week of sea and sunshine. We were in our favourite area, around Kenmare in County Kerry, and got the best of weather. Not a cloud in the sky, and up to 30 degrees.

Wikling discovered bodyboarding, which is essentially surfing the waves with the body on a small board. She loved it so much that we had to physically drag her out of the water after a few hours. And then she fell asleep in the car on the way back to the hotel.

We went dolphin watching, but dolphins, other whales and basking sharks didn't want to be watched, so it was just a very enjoyable and scenic boat trip.

One night we went to a fancy restaurant to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Mrs Wik chose the restaurant (she had been there before), and it was hands down the best meal I've ever had.

The weather turned yesterday, we are back at Irish summer temperatures of 20 degrees, and rain. It had been very dry, so a bit of rain will be good. I need to look at doing more seeding and planting in the garden, as most of my salad crops are very much at the end of their lifecycle, and start to taste a bit bitter. And I'm in with a good chance of harvesting tomatoes this year, the plants have survived the dry spell, and the first fruits are turning yellowish.

Edit: I’m feeling a bit lonely in this shell, is the new home not nice enough?

#5AuthorWik (237414)  15 Aug 22, 08:13
    Comment

*keeping Wik a little company*

We are having a rainy day for the first time in weeks and weeks. 31 l per sqm since last night, and it still goes on. I can practically see the joy and relief of the trees and plants in the garden.

Otherwise, I had a few lovely days with my two oldest girlfriends - one of them recently moved to Metzingen, a small city nearby, so we spent most of the time there, exploring her new "hood". Metzingen is a very interesting city in two very different parts...one is a typical Swabian Kleinstadt, beschaulich, picturesque, with cosy little shops, inns and restaurants. We had two lovely dinners sitting on the square in the evening, one with Swabian and one with Italian food, happily doing people-watching.

The other part is the world famous "Outlet City", a huge shopping city with I think more than one hundred shops - high end fashion shops like Boss etc (Boss was the first factory outlet there several decades ago, from which it all developed), sports shops, shoe shops, perfumes, bags whatever, but nowadays also sweet shops (Lindt, Haribo, Bahlsen etc), houseware, toys, etc. etc. The customers from China and Japan are still largely missing after Corona, but all the same, it's very international, and the locals are clearly a minority in that part. We walked around window-shopping and enjoying the atmosphere....and then went back happily to the cosy old city centre. My friend lives very close to the center, 5 minutes walk from "everything" which fits really well for her (she's nearing her seventies) as a place to stay for the rest of her life - she says, she won't move anywhere else any more. She moved so many times in her life, she's had enough of that.

#6AuthorGoldammer (428405)  19 Aug 22, 16:08
    Comment

Since I’m often the one trying to persuade rare visitors to stay I feel obliged to leave my project and keep the thread going by writing something.

++BREAKING News++

While I Wrote the above declaration of intent Goldammer forestalled me. Fine. So I can go back to work (and that’s what it is, listening to hundreds of songs each day that others may have liked but I still don’t).

#7AuthorRenaRd (907225) 19 Aug 22, 16:27
    Comment

I do admire your patience and stamina with your project, RenaRd!

#8AuthorGoldammer (428405) 19 Aug 22, 16:51
    Comment

Okay-okay-okay. After reading the recent postings I guess I’m going to stay for a while and utter something as well. :o)

@ virus: I see. And of course I’ve heard about scuffle between siblings, and I warched lots heartwarming of road movies about quarreling brothers trying to find together again. Didn’t you have a family meeting last year? I recall your were looking for accommodation but not how the party ended. It wasn’t that crowded, was it?

How lucky you’ve been, WIK, to spend a real hot summer in Kerry. I’ve told you already that I love the area. I stopped at “Wedding Anniversary” and couldn’t detect a date. It obviously was one that ought to be celebtated.

As my wife told me shortly before midnight on our way to bed, I had forgotten our’s a week ago. I’m not to blame, I told her, for I can’t read dates anymore.

Goldammer, you’re one of the true ones. Thanks for that. As to Metzingen I’ve got to admit that I’ve never been in the old village. In the early eighties I had to commute between the Heidelberg area and Biberach, and crossing Metzingen was not only a short cut, it also afforded the opportunity to visit BOSS®: Glorious times, then! Often enough you could find a parking lot right in front of the entrance. I only had to go inside, grab a nice (and affordable) suit or coat, and pay. No trying on, the size 52 always fit. Every client knew that it was cheap because it was last year’s design, but who cared?

OMG, it took ne almost an hour to write and correct these few lines That’s it for today.

#9AuthorRenaRd (907225)  19 Aug 22, 18:11
    Comment

Well, I live in the neighborhood of Metzingen and haven't taken the time to spend a little time in Metzingen, either, RenaRd! I think I briefly was at a Christmas Market some years ago, but didn't get an impression of the flair then.

I didn't spend time at the Outlet City before, either, ever. I went there once or twice to get something specific (a suit for Mr Goldammer before our silver wedding anniversary which we celebrated with family and friends, and a pair of Adidas shoes for myself). So, taking time in Metzingen was a first for me, too.

Your way of buying a Boss suit reminds me of a comedy program I saw on stage a few years ago, since the comedian (Klaus Birk, just in case anyone has come across him) was a schoolmate of myself. He asked how many words a Swabian customer needed to buy a pair of trousers - exactly two. He goes into the shop and says "Hos!", and then goes to the cash desk and says "Zahla!" (short for "bezahlen" - pay)and that's it.

#10AuthorGoldammer (428405)  19 Aug 22, 20:15
    Comment

Didn’t you have a family meeting last year? I recall your were looking for accommodation but not how the party ended. It wasn’t that crowded, was it?

RenaRd, no, the meeting this year was actually in planning for a long time (last time before we met was in October 2019 when my last uncle was - err - interred (his urn was buried). There we decided to have a meeting again, trying to continue a "tradition" of family-togethers (there was no regular timing) which the brothers, in particular my father, had started. And then, with the pandemic, my very busy cousin (who was in charge) etc. etc. it only took place this year.

Between us siblings there is no scuffle at all, fortunately. And he next family meeting might take place in Sardinia... (my sister and her husband have a house there)

#11Authorvirus (343741) 19 Aug 22, 23:23
    Comment

Why, there’s still life in here? Great!

virus: Sardinia ranks on my personal travel list well above Paris, I have heard and read do many nice things. Should be something to look forward to, whenever this family meeting is happening.

RenaRd: I admire your dedication to the grand project. I’ve been a bit uninspired lately (the snails following me on i******m can certainly vouch for that). But hey, I’m looking at a potential new job starting soon, so this will give me a new buzz and a bit of creative energy. One can get bogged down a bit…

County Kerry (and the neighbouring areas of West Cork) are my favourite part of the world. We are still dreaming of moving there, one day in the near future.

I’ve never been to Metzingen, but we have an outlet center down the motorway, about 25 km away. A great place to snap up discounted merchandise from global brands, including a great B**s store.

But since my weight loss program is on track, I hope to fit into my wedding suit (by B**s) again in about 6 weeks time, unless progress slows down.

Goldammer, the promised seeds are ready for dispatch, could you send me your address via pm?

#12AuthorWik (237414) 20 Aug 22, 08:07
    Comment

Well, I've been once to Sardinia but "only" by sailing boat so we didn't see a lot of the island except the bays and havens. We aslo sailed north to Korsika one day and climbed up to the old town of Bonifacio - very nice.

But since my weight loss program is on track, I hope to fit into my wedding suit (by B**s) again in about 6 weeks time, unless progress slows down.

I should run a program like this as well. Not to fit into my wedding dress (beware! I was pregnant, 9th month!) but into some of my favourite dresses / trousers (actually, I gave them away. The best treat after achieving a certain goal would be to by new clothes, no?).

#13Authorvirus (343741) 20 Aug 22, 10:35
    Comment

The best treat after achieving a certain goal would be to by new clothes, no?

Au contraire, dear virus, au contraire...

I am one of these man who hate to go clothes-shopping. A major driver for losing weight for me is (other than the health aspect) that I can actually wear older things again, so that I don't need to go shopping...

But hey, I'm cutting out my snacks in between meals, and have drastically reduced my alcohol intake, and it's starting to show. Also, going for long walks with The Dog (TM) is positive. A belt I bought in 2019 needs to get new holes, cause it's too wide now, and some of the recently bought pants are getting a bit... roomy? Still, some way to go, but it's a good path to be trotting on :)

#14AuthorWik (237414)  20 Aug 22, 12:04
    Comment

@Goldammer: RE RE I do admire your patience

No need to admire anything. I like challenges, but there are only little challengers left to be taken. More and more I feel time’s running away – the time my sight is good enough for PC-work and the time of my life itself. Hence I’m in a hurry, not willing to split my precious time. As soon as my review is done and the relevant parts (“Best of”) of my songs in store are copied on the mp2-players I may relax and look for another task. But there aren’t (I’m tempted to write “ain’t” but back off in memory of hm—hs’ scolding long ago) many tasks left I’d be able to fulfill. I’m no longer the man you got to know when you and Robert visited me in 2015. And when the times get worse and most probably disable me to leave my bed, I’ll hopefully still be able to listen to the music I loved my whole life.

On the other hand, who knows? I’ve already surpassed the lifespan the statistics had predicted for my kind of lung disease

@ WIK:RE I don't need to go shopping...                                                                                     

If I had had the choice I would have preferred a career as singer or writer. In fact I sang for a band a while and wrote short stories and poems, but I’ve been pushed towards a business career. So I had to wear suits practically from the first day on. Altogether I was a salesman, whether on my own or in a company. As such I had to wear a suit and a tie (tightly knot, of course). I still, like most men, hate shopping. But with the years I learned to love fine cloth and material. And silk neckties; I felt naked without a tie. Holding my weight (and size of clothes) for thirty years helped to go into a shop, look for size and colour, touch the fabric and come to a decision quickly. Well, more or less. :o)

#15AuthorRenaRd (907225)  20 Aug 22, 17:11
    Comment

Thank you for the new shell, Wik. It’s very comfy and most welcoming. However, I’ve been away for rather longer than planned due to an enforced holiday extension in Italy…without WiFi. So I’ve read along but couldn’t post.

And I don’t really have much to relate, either, as our sightseeing and visiting time was cut in half. We visited one lovely museum, dedicated to diaries. The founder thought that everyone who feels strongly enough about what happens to them to write about it, deserves to have their account preserved and cherished. And over the last several decades people have donated their own as well as other people’s diaries (and correspondences) a number of which have been published. And it was very well made, with images and readings, and we had a very interesting and engaged guide.

Virus, your family reunion sounds like a delightful occasion.

I think I mentioned my cousins have been having informal holidays together between Ascension and Whitsun for some years? We joined in for the first time this year, and it was so pleasant that we’re definitely hoping to go again next year. (Everybody arranges for themselves, and then all those who are there at any one time arrange get-togethers here and there; it was SO relaxed and utterly enjoyable.)

I’m with you, Wik, on the clothing question. I’ve got lots of nice clothes I would like to fit into again (sadly the ’rona only took a couple of pounds off me), and that’s one of my main motivations for counting the calories!

Having read several books on textile production and its social and environmental impact recently, I am now entirely opposed to buying more clothes unless absolutely necessary, although I do make an exception if they are second hand. Also I’ve got several cupboards full of a variety of fabrics – apologies if I’ve said this before – that I should turn into something wearable or otherwise usable, really. Hm, maybe when I retire…

#16AuthorJabonah (874310) 20 Aug 22, 21:48
    Comment

Obviously, there is a clear distinction between men and women (where are they? Please come and support this hypothesis!) here when it comes to buying clothes. I am far away from being a shopping queen (actually, I hate shopping if I have to look for something special), I usually "find" something I like when I'm not looking for it. 😉

#17Authorvirus (343741)  21 Aug 22, 09:00
    Comment

Well, I'm not particularly fond of clothes shopping. I didn't suffer a bit during Corona when I couldn't go for some time. In fact, I think it was some time in spring this year when I first bought something new to wear, since March 2020 when Corona began.

My mother was extremely practical about buying clothes. Her main preferences were: is it practical? Can it be washed easily? Easy to iron, i.e. not a "Bügelmonster"? Will it keep for a few years? Then...long time nothing, and then maybe: is it nice? Does it look well on me? (Well, maybe this is slightly exaggerated, if I think about it...of course she would try to buy nice things that looked well - but never ever when they didn't meet the above criteria, too)

It took me a long time to distance myself a bit from this approach and allow myself a bit more freedom and fun with buying clothes. Among other things, like virus, I allow myself nowadays to "find" somethingn when I don't look for it - recently I found a lovely linen dress and bought it spontaneously - althouth 100 Euro is above what I usually spend spontaneously. It was certainly the right decision: although I'm usually more a jeans/trousers wearing person, I practically lived in that dress during the recent heat period.

I have two close friends with whom I enjoy shopping - we meet about once or twice a year, they are the ones with whom I was in the Outlet Center in Metzingen recently - but then, as I said, we didn't find anything we liked enough to buy it.

I have some things I have been wearing for years and years and still like them. They aren't too "special" in their style, so, although they may not be the latest trend (which often enough I'm not up to date with, anyway), they are still wearable.

RenaRd, thanks for explaining the background of your project - it helped me to understand your dedication to it. I think this is a very essential "skill" with getting old: finding the things that one is still dedicated to, still able to do them - and then going ahead doing them. (And I can hardly believe that it should be seven years since my visit to Biberach with Robert--US....)

#18AuthorGoldammer (428405)  21 Aug 22, 11:15
    Comment

Vielen Dank für das neue Häusle, Wik. Das hast du sehr gut eingerichtet.

Für mich hat das neue Schuljahr schon angefangen. Ich wohne in einem anderen Schulbezirk, und in meiner Kleinstadt wurde der Anfang des Schuljahrs um gut zwei Wochen verschoben, denn eine Grundschule bekommt eine neue Anbau (die Hälfte der Schule, eigentlich die ursprüngliche Schule wurde zuerst abgerissen, nachdem Asbest entfernt wurde), und die Bauausführung hinkt etwas. Besagte Schule liegt fast direkt hinter unserem Haus, d.h. wir durften den ganzen Sommer hindurch den Lärm, Staub und Bauverkehr genießen. Im Juli wurde jeden Tag gearbeitet (auch sonntags!) und die Arbeit hat um 7 Uhr angefangen und im August durften wir sogar bis 21 Uhr alles miterleben. Am Abend bevor ich in die Schule musste, wurde um 20.40 das Haus durch das Stampfen der Erde noch gerüttelt.

Was gibt's noch zu erzählen? Das neue Schuljahr ist etwa 500% besser als im vorigen Jahr angefangen. Ich weiß, dass wir noch den sogenannten Honigmond genießen, aber letztes Jahr haben wir gar keinen gemerkt und das ganze Jahr war extrem chaotisch und stressig. Viele erfahrene Lehrkräfte haben mehrmals gesagt, das Jahr war das schwierigste der beruflichen Laufbahn, eine größere Herausforderung als das erste Jahr der Pandemie. Für mich als "neue" Lehrerin in der Schule war das Jahr vielleicht drei mal so schlimm.

Was gibt's neues im Garten? Die Blumen gedeihen. Die Sonnenblumen locken viele Bienen und Goldzeisige an. Das Gemüse ist nicht so toll, da ich die Beete spät bepflanzten. Der größte Erfolg hatte ich mit den Bohnen, bis ein böses Murmeltier das Gemüsebuffet entdeckte, und sich satt an die Bohnenblätter gefressen hat. Süßkartoffel- und Rote-Beteblätter mag es auch. Zum Glück aber weder Paprika noch Petersilie (!) noch Auberginen findet das Tier so lecker.

Bonnie hat das Murmeltier ein paar mal hinterhergejagt, aber sie ist so klein, dass ich sie einmal weg vom Murmeltierbau tragen musste. Sie weiß, dass sie den Garten vor Enten, Kaninchen und Murmeltieren schützen muss, also muss ich sie manchmal ablenken (d.h. mit ihr eine Spazierfahrt machen), sonst bellt sie zum Verzweifeln.

Tja, unsere Tochter macht Fortschritte, aber das Projekt verlangt viel Geduld und Ausdauer. Ich weiß, so ist es mit allen Kindern, aber wenn jemand siebzehnjahrelang so viele schlechte Erfahrungen gemacht hat, sind die Herausforderungen halt anders. Mit ihr haben wir zum ersten mal Blaubeeren gepflückt und anschließend beim Italiener gegessen. Das ist nur das zweite mal seit März 2020, dass wir im Restaurant gegessen haben. Das letzte mal war im Juli 2020. Wir hatten eigentlich vor, das Essen zu bestellen und dann mitnehmen, aber um 14.30 waren wir die einzigen Kunden, also haben wir es gewagt. Ich trage noch eine Maske in der Schule. Nur wenige Lehrer und Schüler machen das. Ich wollte eigentlich ohne Maske erscheinen, traue mich aber nicht dazu.

@virus: #3 einen Sack Flöhe hüten = herd cats (ein toles Bild, nicht wahr?) / #4: a family shrub (womöglich nur ein Tippfehler)

@RenaRd: #9 road movies about quarreling brothers trying to find together again klingt sehr nach Denglisch. Vielleicht sollte man eher trying to reconcile oder to make peace with one another nehmen. hm--us oder SD3 könnten bestimmt Besseres vorschlagen.

@virus: #13: The best treat after achieving a certain goal would be to buy new clothes, no? *Daumen hoch zeig*

@Wik: #14: I am one of these man who hate to go clothes-shopping. Im AE würden wir eher, "one of those men"..., aber keine Ahnung, was man in Irland oder England sagt.

RE "going for long walks with The Dog (TM) is positive" Herr MiMi nennt das "mutually beneficial", obwohl seine Spaziergänge sind eher kurz. Gestern sind sie aber ein Stück durch den Wald gelaufen, was mich überrascht hat.

@RenaRd: #15: (I’m tempted to write “ain’t” but back off in memory of hm—hs’ scolding long ago)  *gg*

@Jabonah: Das Tagebuch-Museum klingt sehr interessant.

Wie Goldammer (#18) habe ich (eher eine hosetragende Frau) neulich ein neues Kleid gekauft. Jetzt brauche ich neue Sandalen oder Schule, da ich hauptsächlich Sportschuhe oder Schuhe, die ich als "good to run in" bezeichnen. Wir hatten diese Diskussion etwa 2008, glaube ich. bluesky *vermiss* war damals eine interessierte Teilnehmerin.

Da gibt es bestimmt mehr Korrekturen, die ich schreiben könnte, aber ich muss mich beeilen. In etwa 20 Minuten trifft sich Bonnie mit einer Freundin. Sie spielen jeden Sonntagmorgen im Park, und die zwei Hundebesitzerinnen schnacken ein bisschen.

#19AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 21 Aug 22, 15:41
    Comment

The Pareto principle states that for many outcomes, roughly 80% of consequences come from 20% of causes (the "vital few" .. It is an adage of business management that "80% of sales come from 20% of clients".

(Wikipedia)

I’m so used to thinking in terms of this principle that I’d like to make clear that each time I seen to generalize (“women” e.g.) I don’t mean “all women” in the following, but “most women”, i.e. 75%-80%. Not necessarily YOU. 😛

In Germany (imo) “shopping” is a term that is used by women when it comes to looking for nice clothes, shoes, accessories, and buy things they like. Shopping is an event, , chiefly not celebrated alone but with friends. “Einkaufen”, in English oddly enough called “shopping” as well, makes no fun at all. One buys convenience goods to survive, women buys stylish things to be admired.

Men buy clothes or shoes when they are needed for a special occasion (a wedding ceremony e.g.), or when the old ones are rotten. There’s no fun at all in trying something on, it’s business.

While there seems to be a magic relation between shoes and women, as everybody knows. When a man and a woman are strolling through a city HE may stop at a building lot to watch the heavy machines, or at a toy store, to watch a Caerrera™ car racing track, while SHE spell bound stares at sandals in a shoe shop window. That’s magic. My daughter once said (in other words, though) that a attentive man, when his wife is sighing “Isn’t that shoe gorgeous?” should preferably answer “Yes, Darling. Shall we go inside?” instead of “Cone on, let’s go.”

I thought of such examples and more when virus was asking for support in #17. Men and women are different, no matter what the gender main stream profs in their ivory towers say. Though there seems to be a tendency that (some) men are getting more “womanly” and (some) girls are getting tougher and stronger. That’s fine for me. “I don’t need no gender discussion.”

And I hope someone smiled benignly about my (slightly) satiric contribution.

#20AuthorRenaRd (907225)  21 Aug 22, 17:14
    Comment

Hi, RenaRd: Ich lächele gar nicht freundlich, obwohl du natürlich denken darfst, wie du willst.

"..each time I seem to generalize (“women” e.g.) I don’t mean “all women” in the following, but “most women”, i.e. 75%-80%. Not necessarily YOU." Na ja, okay, aber ich finde es trotzdem nicht schön (vielleicht faul?), wenn man verallgemeinert so stark. Ich finde es einfach nicht gut, wenn Kinder und Jugendliche den Eindruck bekommen, dass sie anders sein sollten, um richtig, echt oder wertvoll zu werden. Beim Thema zu bleiben, sage ich nur, um ein

richtiger Mann oder eine echte Frau zu werden.

Als Mädchen wurde es mir explizit gesagt, dass ich vieles nicht machen durfte und anderes machen musste, nur weil ich weiblich bin. Dieses Spielzeug (diese Kleider, diese Sportart, dieses Instrument, dieses Fach, dieser Beruf) ist nichts für dich. Hinzu kommen die vielen Andeutungen. Und die Schilderungen von Frauen in den Medien und Politik. Als Mann hast du wohl keine Ahnung wie lästig und bedrückend das sein kann.

Selbstkorrekturen: nachdem Asbest entfernt worden war)...den Lärm, Staub und das Bauverkehr genießen... besser als das vorige Schuljahr...das Gemüsebüffet...Im AE würden wir eher, "one of those men" sagen...neue Sandalen oder Schuhe, da ich hauptsächlich Sportschuhe oder Schuhe trage, die ich als "good to run in" bezeichne.

So, und jetzt wird gearbeitet.

#21AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 21 Aug 22, 17:56
    Comment

Hello Any--MiMi. It’s good to read you again. May I start with a Korrektürchen as well?:  eine Grundschule bekommt einen neue Anbau

-> wir durften den ganzen Sommer hindurch den Lärm, Staub und Bauverkehr genießen – I didn’t know you’re able to be so sarcastic. It remeinds me of my granddaughter, who likes to use it as kind of style. She visited us for 10 days and gave me the opportunity to speak English again (she speaks AE) and worked on her C2-Test.

She had the same impression about the last year being the worst.  To her knowledge didn’t really learn a thing because the drank too much (so they claim) and slept long, working on their laptops in their underwear. She’s going to enter the last class now and knows, this year’s courses will be even harder.

Oh, it’s 6pm, time for diner! See you tomorrow.

#22AuthorRenaRd (907225) 21 Aug 22, 18:13
    Comment

Amy-MiMi (hi again!), "scrub" was what I found in Leo for "Gestrüpp". The German word doesn't only mean "shrub" but something which is more chaotic (especially, if you happen to be tangled into a (?) scrub you'll have a hard time to get out of it. Like from blackberries!).

#23Authorvirus (343741) 22 Aug 22, 09:33
    Comment

@ Any—MiMi: Follow-up of #22

-> Als Mädchen wurde es mir explizit gesagt, dass ich vieles nicht machen durfte und anderes machen musste, nur weil ich weiblich bin .. . Als Mann hast du wohl keine Ahnung wie lästig und bedrückend das sein kann.

Maybe I dom’t know exactly, but I recall to be exhorted “Boys don’t cry” or “Defend yourself, you’ve eaten bread as well”. I guess those antiquated educational methods are things of the past. My daughter grew up in the 70s, and we humoured her. She didn’t like skirts or playing with puppets. When the class was divided into a knitting course for the girls and a craftsmen course for the boys she decided to join the latter (she still handy with tools). We even gave her the possibility to decide which God to believe in by not baptizing he, though (influenced by our role model?) made up for it at the age of fourteen.

You see, I wasn’t talking about “wrong parental education”, I hate how the gender discussion influences the German language: Duplication of professions (Lehrer und Lehrerinnen). Gender-asterisk in order to include GLIQ (Lehrer*innen). Omitment of male-related prefixes (Mannshcaft is a Sportgruppe now).

As I write this: Did we discuss this before? ;o)

#24AuthorRenaRd (907225)  22 Aug 22, 11:06
    Comment

As an elderly person, RenaRd, you are entitled to bemoan normal changes in language use....Mr Goldammer does that a lot, too, if about different things....I also find some changes a bit strange, and when my sons and their partners speak about certain topics, I find it difficult to follow, among other reasons because I don't know some of the vocabulary they use...

But still I try to see it as a age-typical problem which all generations have with one another, ever. Today, the changes happen a bit quicker than in former times, that makes the process a bit more distinct...

And I do appreciate some things, like that it has become rather normal to use both genders when speaking about mixed groups of people.

And: I don't think that you are getting Amy-MiMi's point completely, RenaRd. It's about transporting generalizations and stereotypes - what WOMEN usually do - at least 80% of them - i.e. staring at sandals in shops. And yes, there are stereotypes about MEN as well, of course. As someone who may have suffered from messages like "boys don't cry", you could maybe think a bit about transporting stereotypes in what you communicate....I do appreciate that as a parent you worked on not making those old mistakes with your own daughter, please note that - but communicating in a thoughtful way, e.g. trying to not transport stereotypes, is another important area where we still have to do a lot in order to change our thinking and approach to the world.

(* patiently awaiting RenaRd's reaction about being hyper-sensitive and lacking humor....*)

Hi Amy-Mimi, how lovely to read you again! Good to hear that the new school year seems to go better....

#25AuthorGoldammer (428405)  22 Aug 22, 16:45
    Comment

I spotted hm--us in another thread and just hope that she will pop in here at some point!

*freu*

#26AuthorGoldammer (428405) 22 Aug 22, 17:08
    Comment

@ Goldammer

RE you are entitled to bemoan normal changes in language use

Well, I accepted the “Rechtschreibreform” (Stange>Stängel, Muße vs. müssen, Schifffahrt, etc.) twenty years ago rather quickly,  because most of the rules were comprehensible. They followed proposals of linguists and other kindred professionals, to start at a certain time for a defined language area.                                                                                                                          

But gender speak is “the reign of a minority (those who feel repressed, unnoticed or relegated to the fringe) over a majority of the rest of the population by yelling “Take care of my sensitivities”. The discussion is often mixed with feminism and the me-too debate. Not to forget the term of “The Old White Man”. You see, I’m sensitive, too.

https://share-your-photo.com/3595d2204c

Bill Maher once said “Political correctness is the elevation of sensitivity over truth”.  Find an interview with Dr Peterson here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wLCmDtCDAM

Now I’ve covered much ground without having had the opportunity to talk about this issue. I understand everyone who feels oppressed or diminished, may they be gay or lesbian or queer, whatever. Fight for your rights.  But don’t rape a whole language.

RE not transport stereotypes, is another important area where we still have to do a lot in order to change our thinking and approach to the world

An interesting aspect. I’ve got to think about it and may ask for more input. The stereotypic “Old White Man” is obsolete, then? ;o)

#27AuthorRenaRd (907225) 23 Aug 22, 16:30
    Comment

It's about transporting generalizations and stereotypes - what WOMEN usually do - at least 80% of them - i.e. staring at sandals in shops. And yes, there are stereotypes about MEN as well, of course.(Goldammer, #25)

This immediately reminded me of this (terrible) advertisement about a woman who shows her friends her huge walk-in shoe closet while their husbands are getting crazy about the walk-in fridge filled with (the most disgusting) beer in contrary... (for those who can stand it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DOc17BtpI4)

#28Authorvirus (343741) 23 Aug 22, 18:21
    Comment

My wife has gone to visit her mom for a week, so today I‘ve been doing things I don‘t do frequently enough. Like, cutting the hedge, getting fried chicken from an ex-Wienerwald place (which wasn‘t as good as it used to be), having three Halbe of Bavarian beer and watching The Big Lebowski for the umpteenth time.

Later this evening I‘ll explain important aspects of life, the universe and everything else to Reisegeyer, and then he and I will drift off to slumber. And tomorrow another day of special things to do is awaiting us. Will I got to Tübingen by bicycle? Will I prepare a dish of roasted onions like our son taught me to? With fried Leberkäs and mirror eggs, of course? Or will I continue to work on Reisegeyer‘s website, which I‘m building while working my way through the Wordpress tutorial?

Stay tuned to find out, dear snails!

#29AuthorJesse_Pinkman (991550)  23 Aug 22, 20:55
    Comment

Jesse, looks like you’re having a blast… I, for one badly need a bit of time on my own, but it’s another week or so before I can grab a few hours. I admit, it’s moaning on a high level.

At the moment, we have a visitor, one of Wikling’s cousins, and the girls are having a great time, with regular fallouts and tears. They’ll both be back to school next week, so a bit of fun is ok for now. At least, school will give me a few hours in the mornings to get things done (cutting the hedge, …, maybe not having beers).

I’m in the progress of signing up for a new permanent job, which will be a nice change from doing family work and picking up the odd contract job here and there. It will be very much computer work in the home office, and a good online dictionary might be required here and there.

Going back to my comment about shopping for clothes: I like wearing nice clothes which are appropriate to the situation. This might be a suit, tie, shirts … or else the oldest jeans, the grubbiest hoodie, or anything in between.

And my sense of fashion doesn’t really follow the fashion world. What I like I like, but whatever doesn’t fit this is just not for me.

In addition, my measurements are not quite average, and never were. Even at the best of times (I used to run 30 min as a warm up before a 2h volleyball practice session, and could run 12km the next day without batting an eyelid) the average jeans were tight in some places and loose in others. So going shopping always has been rather difficult and frustrating for me.

We still have summer, temperatures above 20 degrees in the afternoon, and rain still is way below average this year. It’s not necessarily negative, at least the tomatoes and salad leafy bits are happy, I’m looking at the planting for the coming weeks to maximise crops for October onwards. Did I mention I need a bigger garden?

#30AuthorWik (237414)  23 Aug 22, 22:12
    Comment

I love the plan of cutting hedges while someone's wife is not around. In my case it could not only be cutting hedges (or bushes or mowing the no-longer-lawn: husband) but also, with much more desire, finishing the pergola (son). He didn't even dig the holes for the poles (I'm a poet!) deep enough so far.

We are planning a garden party for Saturday. Guess what: Today 26°C, sunny, tomorrow 28°C, sunny, Friday 26°C, cloudy in the evening, Saturday 22°C, cloudy with the chance of rain. Hmph.

#31Authorvirus (343741) 24 Aug 22, 07:29
    Comment

Well, virus, how was the garden party? Heavy heads today? 😉

Today must have been a record number of vacuum cleanings in this house. It’s still very dry, and the dog is walking in and out of the garden, and all the dry stuff gets stuck in his fur until it falls off in the house. At least, vacuuming is quick and easy. If it had rained, I’d be busy mopping all the mucky paw prints.

I had to get my tools out today, we discovered a leak under the kitchen sink. Fortunately I was able to fix it and clean up before lasting damage was done. And I didn’t need to call the plumber again who was only here a couple of days ago for the annual heating maintenance.

I was in the garden center as well, but not really with much success. A few shrubs, some flowers, but very few seeds for autumn/winter growing. I need to go to a different shop to get some spinach seeds, and chard wasn’t available either.

#32AuthorWik (237414) 28 Aug 22, 17:22
    Comment

Oh, hi Wik (not so much online activity yesterday...)

The party was great. Weather was okeish, some drops of rain but most of the time it was dry. Thanks to our big tent it was no problem to survive a little rain. Cleaning up the place when everyone has left is my husband's and my attitude at all parties so for the next day it isn't too discouraging. Everyone enjoyed it a lot, so we are quite happy. Will have another one next year, not like this one only after 3 or 4 years. (Even our oldest neighbour (80++) was happy to attend, another neighbour brought her in her wheelchair and took her back home. It was quite different from always sitting in her own kitchen, alone. I am happy that we could please her.)

And our PhD student brought her big surprise: our master student from France from the first semester of this year. Great! And the new generation of PhDs and Ex-PhDs have kids on their own now: kids' handprints on all windows, toys that have been found (we are still cleaning up - where was this ball again?) and a little mess all around - I love it.

And then, this weekend (to be precise, Sunday and Monday) we had "Chilbi" here in our Gemeinde. (Chilbi = Kirchweih = country fair = Kirmes...). So we didn't have to cook (or grill) yesterday but went there to have a Bratwurst and a beer, to talk to all the neighbours etc. etc. It is nice to live on the countryside.

#33Authorvirus (343741)  29 Aug 22, 23:16
    Comment

I made a strange experience just now, which I feel the urge to share.

My parents used to have a weekend home in the "Welzheimer Wald" about 70km from Stuttgart. That was until 2009 when they sold it. Unfortunately, at that time they "verbummeled" to cancel the GEZ subscription (radio & TV fee). As I have taken over all administrative tasks for my mother (my father passed away in 2010) as of a year ago, I started to wonder why she pays twice the GEZ fee, which is usually €55 per quarter, but she paid €110.

It took me some time to realize that this was not due to some specific paiment scheme, but, as mentioned above, because they had failed to notify GEZ about giving up their second home. So, as a matter of fact, they paid doubly for as long as 13 years (!!).

A call to GEZ (not easy to get through to them) revealed that they needed a "Erweiterte Meldebescheinigung" (welcome to German bureaucracy) for my mother, which would show her current residence in Stuttgart to be the only one.

Now, I don't know about other cities, but whenever I pass by one of the "Bürgerbüros" in Stuttgart, usually the queue extends out onto the sidewalk. So I loaded a new podcast onto my phone, armed myself with all the patience I could muster and set out to the "Bürgerbüro" in my neighbourhood.

On arrival, there was no queue on the sidewalk. Fearing a trap, I cautiously walked inside - the hallways: empty. The waiting room: empty. However, the Bürgerbüro WAS open. So I took a number (which was indeed the next one), was called in 3-4 minutes later - and walked out with a beautiful "Erweiterte Meldebescheinigung" for my mother to the amount of €12.

I'm pretty sure I was awake when that happened.

So I submitted that document to GEZ (which, after all, was possible online). Only the year for leaving that residence could only be set until back to 2013..

Now let's see what happens.

#34AuthorJesse_Pinkman (991550) 31 Aug 22, 11:24
    Comment

In Reutlingen, you can book a number and time frame online for an appointment in the Bürgerbüro. This minimizes the waiting time. But even before that (it started during the Corona lockdown), I never had to wait very long there - it may happen that you have 10 or 20 or even 30 numbers before you when you walk in (I don't know, to be honest, if that is already possible again after the Corona regulations), but they have about 10 counters or more, so, the numbers are called in very quickly.

How are the chances that you get refunded at least some of the money?

#35AuthorGoldammer (428405) 31 Aug 22, 11:48
    Comment

I've no idea. I asked the guy from GEZ that question, and he said "they'll have to investigate after I submitted the cancellation".

#36AuthorJesse_Pinkman (991550) 31 Aug 22, 11:59
    Comment

No. 34: Even with a second residency in Germany, one can nowadays get an exemption from GEZ dues for the Zweitwohnsitz. This is not retroactive, though.

https://www.vzhh.de/themen/rundfunkbeitrag/ke...

#37Authormbshu (874725) 31 Aug 22, 12:58
    Comment

@ WIK and virus and all the others

Thanks for sharing your adventures. They’ve been more detailed and interesting than most of the tales that the “girls” at my wife’s daily “Kaffeekränzchen”  are telling. Mrs RenaRd takes me with her at least once a week, chiefly to make me walk a bit. It’s not that I could contribute a lot. Women among other women tend to ignore a male voice. As if it were too deep, below female radar. (I’ve been asked not to generalize, but this phenomenon happened to often to be denied. I describe this without bitterness but with a tiny smile.)

I first recognized this phenomenon in 2007, standing at the train station opposite Friedrichshafen Airport with six women, my wife’s tennis group. We came back from Turkey, the flight was delayed, and the train to Biberach was gone. While the woman discussed whether to wait or take another route I spotted a big Taxi and said, pointing at it “Look, there’s a 7-seat Taxi. If we shared the costs it wouldn’t be too expensive.” No reply. Instead the group fetched their luggage and, like a flock of birds, went chatting back to the Airport entry. I followed and asked loudly “What about the Taxi?”, but they went on chatting. I walked to a bench nearby the taxi rank to have a cigarette-of frustration. Eventually E. saw me sitting all alone and came over. I told her about the taxi and she went “Why, that’s a good idea. Go and tell it to the others.” After objecting that they wouldn’t listen, she told them herself. A minute later everybody grabbed the luggage again, and when they were passing my bench someone said “Come on, we’re going to take a taxi that E.’s detected fortunately.”

😉

#38AuthorRenaRd (907225)  31 Aug 22, 14:41
    Comment

Great story, RenaRd! 😂

#39AuthorGoldammer (428405) 31 Aug 22, 16:23
    Comment

Ach, RenaRd, I don't think this is a gender related issue, but it's a group-dynamic phenomenon.

In both cases, it appears that you are, or were, not really part of the group, but somebody who was brought along by your wife. It's quite often the case that the group is polite and looks accepting initially, but in a stress situation (such as the missed bus), the usual group dynamic kicks in. In this situation, the outsider is easily overlooked/overheard. For the Kaffeekränzchen, you likely don't have interesting things to tell?

virus well, that sounds like a good party, and doing at least the bulk of the clean-up just after everybody left is my approach as well.

I have to admit, going through all those bureaucratic things in Germany is one of the points that make it unlikely that I'll ever move to Germany again.

Wikling has settled in well in school after the holidays, so I have a few hours in the morning to do some cleaning, shopping, organising etc.

My new employer is checking references at the moment, this always costs a bit of time, but it should be a formality. I won't start any more of the projects on my personal to-do-list before I start the new job, maybe wit the exception of doing up our home-office, once Mrs Wik decides on colours/curtains, and the usual gardening things.

#40AuthorWik (237414) 31 Aug 22, 16:27
    Comment

RE #40: At first sight, WIK your argument sounds quite comprehensible if I hadn’t known the women for years and if we hadn’t had a good time at the hotel prior to this. I claim to possess a comparably huge general knowledge (music is not my single hobby) and friends like to ask me for opinions or facts. I’d been a well accepted interlocutor in smaller groups but suddenly felt invisible and un-hearable.

As to not being “a gender related issue“: I was a long-time member of a wine-tasting regular table, consisting of four to eight male members. Each time a woman known to one of us dropped in we asked her to stay and invited her (which includied paying for her, even if they came more often) and listened to her, glad about new topics or rumors. You may object it was simply machismo. I tend to old fashioned courtesy and curiosity. NOM.

At my wife’s get-together I leaned to change my tactic: I address my words to a single person, and often others join in. :o)

#41AuthorRenaRd (907225)  02 Sep 22, 09:52
    Comment

#41 RenaRd, I had to laugh here, because:

At my wife’s get-together I leaned to change my tactic: I address my words to a single person, and often others join in.

is just the text book approach to break through the group dynamic I mentioned.

Now, I don't know the specific situation and dynamic you are describing, but a lot of this resonates with hypotheses and approaches I have rejected initially (these "communication workshops one is signed up in big companies), but did accept later, as I have noticed that a lot of the ideas behind them are actually very helpful.

Nevertheless, we might agree to disagree, in a friendly atmosphere.

We are expecting a lot of rain in the coming 48 hours, with flood warnings (not applicable to us, thankfully), and fairly miserable conditions forecast. The rain is welcome, it's been very dry, as longs as we get a bit more sunshine afterwards, since the majority of my precious tomato crop is still in the process of ripening.

I'm sorry for the festival fans, the iconic Electric Picnic festival in Ireland is on this weekend, after a long break due to Covid. It looks like most of it might in jeopardy due to the rain.

Mrs Wik bought some books a while ago, and I got to reading “The Twyford Code” by Janice Hallett. The writing style is very unusual, and a bit challenging in the beginning, but it’s a rather enjoyable read. If you have a spare few hours, this is a good brain teaser. Note: I’m not sure how well this translate into German, and one wants to be familiar with some British slang in the original version, but I found it rather captivating, after the first pages of ???

#42AuthorWik (237414) 02 Sep 22, 18:20
    Comment

Just read this on LinkedIn: "Every time I have a programming question an I really need help, I post it on Reddit an d then log into another account and reply with an obscenely incorrect answer. People often don't care about helping others, but they LOVE correcting others. Works 100% of the time."

Maybe it's worth trying this for LEO, as well. Having said that, it needs to be pointed out that LEO users in general are very helpful without such strategies being used on them.

#43AuthorJesse_Pinkman (991550) 11 Sep 22, 14:57
    Comment
    Reminds me of that old joke:
    “Oh, why don’t you come to bed darling, it’s 2am!”
    “I can’t. Somebody wrote something wrong… on the internet!!!”

I’m sitting at home, incapacitated, due to injury. I twisted my ankle while walking the dog on Saturday morning, and in the beginning it didn’t seem too bad. But it’s gotten a good deal worse, probably due to me not taking it easy initially.
    Ah well, it’s raining cats and dogs, so staying inside is probably not a bad idea.
    #44AuthorWik (237414) 11 Sep 22, 15:30
    Comment

Wik, maybe you should have rode the dog instead... 😉

Get well soon!

#45Authorvirus (343741) 13 Sep 22, 13:02
    Comment
    Well, it got worse, and yesterday Mrs Wik insisted I see a doctor. An x-ray revealed that there is a fracture, but according to the doctor a rather unusual one, and I was referred to a specialist (the appointment is for next week, the earliest I could get).
    So I’m sitting here on the couch, with a protective boot on my leg, crutches next to me.
    Not sure how I will be able to start my new job in 3 weeks, as I doubt I’ll be able to drive.
    #46AuthorWik (237414) 13 Sep 22, 13:22
    Comment

Oh well Wik, that sounds really frustrating!! I keep my fingers crossed....somehow, I think there must or at least might be solutions for you to be brought into a state where you can drive a car within three weeks from now, don't you?

#47AuthorGoldammer (428405) 14 Sep 22, 07:51
    Comment

Ouch - all the best for you ankle, Wik!

#48AuthorJesse_Pinkman (991550) 14 Sep 22, 08:42
    Comment

I just talked to my future boss, and she wants me to start asap, even if that means that they need to send a laptop by post. It seems there is a lot of stuff they want me to do before the year is over.

Sure, that's what I have signed up for.

With regards to driving, Goldammer, the company building is about 2 hours away by car. Unless I get another cast for my foot, it is nearly impossible to hit accelerator or break without getting into trouble. I might have to risk it for a short drive at low speed in a few weeks' time, but not for two hours on the motorway. It will be interesting to see what the final verdict by the doctors on this fracture is.

I have the feeling a broken arm would be less impeding, but there is absolutely no desire to confirm this feeling in a real life experiment.

I need to go on the hunt for some "classy" books (something like a Vatican conspiracy thriller, or similar drivel) to keep me entertained now. Any suggestions would be willingly taken into consideration.

#49AuthorWik (237414) 14 Sep 22, 13:54
    Comment

I wouldn't risk driving with a cast on my right foot even for a short distance. If you have an accident, even if it's not your fault, you'll be in big trouble with your insurance.

But it DID have to be the right foot, on top of everyhing else? You wouldn't settle for breaking the left one?

As for books, I don't know if you're into SF and, if so, if you know the Amazon Prime series "The Expanse". I never watched it, but a friend lent me the first volume of the book (out of nine volumes), and after 60 pages I'm already hooked.

#50AuthorJesse_Pinkman (991550)  14 Sep 22, 14:30
    Comment

Obviously driving only with doctor's permission and with a different type of cast. But even if I had that, I wouldn't go for a longer trip at high speed. It's not worth the risk.

But it DID have to be the right foot, on top of everyhing else? You wouldn't settle for breaking the left one?

I'm known for doing things properly, no half-baked things. The timing is point on as well, Mrs Wik was supposed to be on-site for the whole week to deal with some important people, but obviously had to stay home to keep things going here with Wikling (and the dog).

SF, not a fan, but I might look into it. Thank you!

#51AuthorWik (237414) 14 Sep 22, 16:57
    Comment

Okay, I didn't think it was such a long drive. That won't be an option then...starting a job via home office isn't what one wishes for, but better than nothing anyway.

Re reading matter: Do you read crime stories? One of my all-time-favorite series are the Canadian crime stories by Louise Penny with inspector Gamache. You would have to read them in the right order, because besides the story in each one, there's a kind of background plot which develops over the whole series.

#52AuthorGoldammer (428405) 14 Sep 22, 21:52
    Comment

Wik, if you can cope with countless popes called alternately by their German, Italian and Latin Name, you could give "Sixtinische Verschwörung" by Philipp Vandenberg a try.

#53AuthorPottkieker (871812) 15 Sep 22, 08:01
    Comment

One of my all-time-favorite series are the Canadian crime stories by Louise Penny with inspector Gamache. You would have to read them in the right order, because besides the story in each one, there's a kind of background plot which develops over the whole series.

Love it! I've read nearly all of them, so far which have been translated into German. What puzzled me in the beginning was that there are two different titles in German for the same volume, it was one or two of the first ones. People are so nice, weird, individual etc. etc., most appreciated the always polite, charming and wise character* of Inspector Gamache.

*Do both meanings apply here? Character = German Charakter and character = German Romanfigur (can't think of another German word besides Protagonist...)

#54Authorvirus (343741)  15 Sep 22, 12:00
    Comment

Oh, how nice to find someone who knows and likes the series, virus! Why don't you read them in the English original version? I usually devour any newcoming sequel in a day or two...

#55AuthorGoldammer (428405) 15 Sep 22, 14:07
    Comment

I will probably start to read the English original - especially as not all of them have been translated yet. I would love to visit Three Pines, have a nice coffee or tea or something "stronger" in Oliviers bistro, sitting in front of the fireplace and watching Ruth with her duck...

#56Authorvirus (343741)  15 Sep 22, 14:44
    Comment

....and eating crunchy, flaky croissants.....

#57AuthorGoldammer (428405) 15 Sep 22, 18:35
    Comment

I just read about your misfortune, WIK, as I’m still distracted by my project. How could you break your ankle by walking the dog? I can’t imagine your dog plled so hard you stumbled and fell.  Unless it felt that you are about to leave him for something you love more (Do dogs know jealousy?). Well I understood that you’ve been offered to work on a home-office basis.  Besides the pain you’re handicapped in many ways momentarily, so I hope there’s someone to comfort you and care for you. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

#58AuthorRenaRd (907225) 17 Sep 22, 16:42
    Comment

RenaRd, the dog just needs to smell something interesting in the wrong moment and he''ll send you straight to the floor. A neighbour of mine is still struggeling with the remainders of the injuries she suffered more than a year later.

#59AuthorPottkieker (871812) 17 Sep 22, 16:57
    Comment

Well, Pottkieker, to be honest – I was joking.  If I remember it right the doggy is just a few months old, mot yet in his awkward age, and is too small, anyway, to pull a man down. 😛

#60AuthorRenaRd (907225) 17 Sep 22, 17:15
    Comment
    Oh RenaRd, even a small dog can pull quite a bit if it wants to get somewhere. But no, Toby (btw, he is named after the dog used by Sherlock Homes in “The Sign of the Four”) wouldn’t be strong enough to pull me down. I must have misjudged the curb (it was wet and there were some fallen leaves), and maybe the dog pulled at an unexpected moment, I don’t know. Anyway, my foot landed awkwardly and slipped off the curb onto the road. That must have done the damage.

Thank you for the book recommendations, I’ll look into them.

BTW, “crunchy” usually is not a good quality parameter for a croissant. Crunchy entails a degree of hardness, e.g., like a piece of stale bread. Crispy is a better description for a nice fresh croissant, and flakey is good as well. Or maybe that’s just food science speak…

It was rather cold during the night, down to 3 degrees. The sun is shining now, it’s a bright day, and a shame I can’t do any gardening or even go for a walk.
    Well, I hope you all enjoy your Sunday
    #61AuthorWik (237414) 18 Sep 22, 11:47
    Comment

I had a feeling about crunchy in relation to a croissant...but crispy wouldn't come to me. Thanks!

When those croissants will be mentioned next time (I'm too lazy to look them up in the books I've already read - I read them as e-books which makes scrolling through a book a bit awquard, one of the very few disadvantages of e-books...) I will see what Penny herself says about them.

Night temperatures are still around 10° here - so we are still sleeping outdoors with our deep-winter-duvets. But I've got a feeling that moving back indoors won't be too long....although as every year, we will miss the fresh air around our noses very much....

(can one say "deep winter" ?)

#62AuthorGoldammer (428405)  18 Sep 22, 16:28
    Comment

Wow, einige Zeit war wenig los, und plötzlich halte ich nicht mehr mit.

Korrektürchen für virus (#45): maybe you should have ridden the dog instead... 😉

Bonnie hat mich ein paar mal vor einem Fall gerettet, indem ich rutschte aus, auf der Leine zog und sie genug Gewicht hatte, dass ich nicht hingefallen bin. Ja, aber leider geht es manchmal auch umgekehrt. Ich wünsche dir eine schnelle Genesung, Wik.

Gerade lese ich Radium Girls von Kate Moore. Ich hatte den Film schon gesehen, sah aber neulich das Buch in unserem kleinen nicht so dangerösen Buchhandlung und blätterte es durch. Nicht mitbekommen hatte ich, dass auch Mädchen und Frauen in Ottawa, Illinois durch Radium vergiftet worden sind. Ottawa kenne ich, da diese Kleinstadt auf dem Fahrtweg nach Iowa liegt, wusste aber nicht, dass diese Stadt eine Superfund Site ist https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/cs... und viele Frauen der Stadt an einer Radiumvergiftung gestorben sind. Demnächst möchte ich den Dokumentarfilm Radium City sehen: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0284691/ Das nächste Mal, wenn ich in Ottawa eine Pause einlege, schaue ich mir das Radium Girls Denkmal an.

Hier ein interessanter Bericht, der die Geschichte von Radium Dial in Ottawa handelt. https://www.nprillinois.org/equity-justice/20... Ich wusste auch nicht, dass die Firma Westclox, deren Uhren die Fabrikarbeiterinnen bemalten, in Peru, Illinois ihren Sitz hatte.

Hier haben wir noch Sommertemperaturen: um 20 Uhr noch 26 Grad, Tageshöchsttemperatur 30 Grad, Tiefsttemperatur heute in der Nacht 19,5 Grad. Am Wochenende laufe noch in kurzen Hosen rum.

Tut mir leid, dass ich nicht alles gelesen habe.

RE deep winter: Im Prinzip geht das ja, aber ich weiß nicht ganz. Im Internet scheint das hauptsächlich irgendwas mit Farben zu tun zu haben. Keine Ahnung wie das heißt im Deutschen, es geht darum, dass Frauen Kleidung und Schminke in bestimmten Farben tragen sollen.

#63AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989)  19 Sep 22, 02:03
    Comment

I will respond to some things in your post later, Amy-MiMi!

On my way to bed, I wanted to share a little thing I realized today: I'm re-reading "Watership Down" at the moment - after decades; I read it once in my twenties, I think. Besides the story itself, I really enjoy the botanical details (so many plants and flowers are described - I often have to look up their names so I know what they are) and the landscape descriptions a lot. And what I realized: the German title of the book "Unten am Fluss", is clearly a false-friend-type of literal translation - only that "down" in the book doesn't mean low, but on the contrary, a landscape of hills!

This was my Contribution of the Day. Sleep well, everybody, in your Bettgestell.

(First night indoors for us today, I transferred our beds because it's really getting chilly and Mr Goldammer has caught a cold)

#64AuthorGoldammer (428405)  21 Sep 22, 22:57
    Comment

@Goldammer: Als Jugendliche habe ich das Buch angefangen, aber ich habe es nicht ausgelesen. Womöglich war das zum damaligen Zeitpunkt nicht der richtige Lesestoff für mich. Außerdem dachte ich vom Titel her, dass das Buch mit der Versenkung eines Schiffes zu tun hatte.

#65AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 22 Sep 22, 14:47
    Comment

It seems that all the well-wishing has worked. I had my appointment with the consultant yesterday, who threw the initial diagnosis out of the window, assured me there is nothing broken, and I'll be fully recovered middle of next week. I had my suspicions about the broken leg, but I had learned at home to not argue with medical doctors.

I read Watership Down ages ago. I don't remember much, it clearly didn't make a big impression.

All the other book recommendations are on hold. Mrs Wik went to a book shop and brought back some books she thought might be entertaining. Amongst them the third part of Richard Osman's The Thursday Murder Club. Jabonah, if you peek in here, I wouldn't really recommend it, the story is rather odd.

Amy-MiMi, I hope the new school year is going easier than the previous one?

#66AuthorWik (237414) 23 Sep 22, 11:51
    Comment

I must say, Wik, I'm wondering a bit how it can happen with all the modern diagnostic tools to say a leg is broken (or an ankle, or what it was supposed to be) and then two weeks later find out that it isn't broken after all...I mean, I'm really happy for you, it makes things a lot easier in every respect, but come on! Seriously!!!

Amy-MiMi, maybe you should give Watership Down another try! I really enjoy it (despite the fact that it of course transports the old pattern that only the male characters are doing something to keep the story going....)

re#63:

Bonnie hat mich ein paar mal vor einem Fall gerettet, indem ich rutschte aus, auf der Leine zog und sie genug Gewicht hatte, dass ich nicht hingefallen bin. - is understandable but somehow twisted. I think I'd put the whole thing a bit differently:

Bonnie hat mich ein paarmal (written together, says "Duden - Richtiges und gutes Deutsch" - I had a feeling but couldn't tell you why) vor einem Sturz *) gerettet, als ich ausgerutscht bin, die Leine sich dabei straffte und Bonnie genug Gegengewicht hatte, dass ich nicht hingefallen bin. Something like that.

*) The noun is definitely Sturz although the verb is hinfallen - mean, I know.

Deep winter: what I wanted to express is "in the middle of winter when the temperatures are really low". How would you say that, then? "mid-winter-duvet"?

#67AuthorGoldammer (428405)  24 Sep 22, 17:20
    Comment

I am indeed still here and reading along from time to time...this year just doesn’t let up, and I’m not able to write as much as I would like.

I haven’t read Watership Down, but saw parts of the film once (and was surprised to find it was about rabbits), and it seemed very sad and didn’t really inspire me to read the book...

Louise Penny sounds interesting, and I saw that the local library has book 1...this was last Friday afternoon, but when I went in on Saturday morning, it had gone. I have now reserved it and will let you know what I think! And Wik, I have already read the third volume of the Thursday Murder Club and totally agree with you. While it is still a good book (certainly better than all the mysteries I’ve read since the second volume), it has rather lost the almost Wodehousean spark of unhurried genius that distinguishes the first volume. I see that Mr Osman is planning three more books in this series, and then another series after that, and I am tempted to comment on each of the announcements that he should please take his time and see if he can come up with something as spectacular as his first offering!

#68AuthorJabonah (874310) 24 Sep 22, 17:41
    Comment

Goldammer, it's rather baffling, alright. Maybe the doctor seeing me first had a bad day, or just didn't want to make an effort after the x-rays. But I have already mentioned that the Irish health system (very different from the German one) leaves much to be desired, even if you have premium private health insurance.

Anyway, I'm getting things back in order now, and so far so good.

#69AuthorWik (237414) 26 Sep 22, 09:49
    Comment

Korrektürchen für virus (#45): maybe you should have ridden the dog instead... 😉 (Amy.MiMi, #63)

My irregular verbs! I should know better... We had an English teacher who asked this kind of vocabulary list every Tuesday morning. This was the procedure: The week before he gave a new list to us to learn until next week (like 15-20 verbs). In the morning, before starting the "normal" lesson, he picked one pupil to be examined. The worst was: If ihe picked YOU last week you couldn't be sure to be spared this week... So, we all were quite good at it! (Loong ago....)

#70Authorvirus (343741) 26 Sep 22, 19:27
    Comment

@ WIK: I’m glad to read that everything's moving along as usual, as far as your ankle is concerned. I’m still Curies regarding your new job. You mentioned above, that “the company building is about 2 hours away by car”, so I don’t assume you’re going to commute there day by day. Are you willing to talk about it, or am I too nosy?

You’re quarreling with irregular verbs, virus? Well, I’ve made a list, anExcel™ sheet, during the last fifteen years or so of each English word I read not being part of my active vocabulary. The list still contains over 500 words, (most of them verbs and adjectives) I still don’t use. Once in a while I open the file, but I hardly learned 10% of them.

I imagine our brain has a kind of spill-over – as we learn something new, something old has to make room-. :D

#71AuthorRenaRd (907225) 27 Sep 22, 17:25
    Comment

Oh, no, I don't see this as being nosy, since I already shared a good bit.

I will be working for a non-for-profit company, set up to promote small scale food production and food culture in the West of Ireland.

My primary job is to make funding available, by means of EU (and, less so, national) grants to the company, and to manage the projects, so that all deliverables are achieved and appropriately documented. Some research, some application, and also some passing-on knowledge.

Obviously that makes me a (6-gearish) writing-table-offender (/6-gearisch), but in today's world this is very important role.

There will be a lot of writing (project proposals, reports; great to have LEO as a tool for that), communications with project partners from all over Europe and associated countries (and necessary travel ;)). And of course, with a small establishment, there's the likelihood of being called in to troubleshoot practical issues for small food companies associated with us, and maybe even doing some little bits of hands-on work here and there.

I'm expecting things to be busy, unorganised (initially), and maybe a little bit naive, but full of enthusiasm.

But obviously, it's a role that can easily (and most of the time more efficiently) be done remotely. Hence, my expected presence at headquarters is one day per week, unless there is a good reason for my presence (which might be seminars, workshops or project meetings we are hosting).

virus, if it helps... Wikling is a NES, but some irregular verbs present difficulties (ironically, more to her than me), typically the ones she doesn’t use very much (just hearing them doesn’t seem to get it into the brain). I would assume mainstream schools here put more focus on that early on. Put hey, it's all about the practice, and if little NES are butchering irregular verbs repeatedly, you shouldn't feel bad about it.

#72AuthorWik (237414)  28 Sep 22, 15:04

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt