Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

fillip als Verb

Comment

LEO hat Einträge für das Substantiv "fillip", aber keine für das Verb "to fillip". Gibt es "fillip" als Verb dennoch?

Author harambee (91833) 26 Sep 22, 07:30
    Comment

I wouldn't have thought so, but my dictionary says yes: a blow or gesture made by the sudden forcible straightening of a finger curled up against the thumb, and other related meanings.

#1Author Martin--cal (272273) 26 Sep 22, 08:03
    Comment

Danke sehr, Martin! Ich dachte mehr an den übertragenen Sinn. Ich konkretisiere meine Frage mal:

"to provide fillip to sth." und "to give fillip to sth." sind, so nehme ich an, idiomatische Ausdrücke für "etwas anstoßen" oder so ähnlich. Ist

to fillip something

eine ebenfalls idiomatische Alternative oder ist das in diesem Kontext einfach nur schlechtes Englisch?

#2Author harambee (91833) 26 Sep 22, 08:59
    Comment

FWIW, schon mal einen - hier AE - WB-Eintrag zum Verb hat :

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fillip

fillip verb

fil·​lip | \ ˈfi-ləp \ filliped; filliping; fillips

Definition of fillip

(Entry 1 of 2)

transitive verb

1a : to make a filliping motion with

b : to strike or tap with a fillip filliped him on the nose

2 : to project quickly by or as if by a fillip fillip crumbs off the table

3 : stimulate with this to fillip his spirits— Robert Westerby ...

#3Author no me bré (700807)  26 Sep 22, 09:39
    Comment

Wär das auf Deutsch im richtigen Kontext ggf. "schnipsen" oder "stubsen"?

#4Author B.L.Z. Bubb (601295)  26 Sep 22, 09:40
    Comment

#2: Note that "fillip" is a countable noun: "a fillip".

Collins gives it as a verb in the figurative sense. In its British section the definition is "to stimulate or excite", in the American "to stimulate or liven up" and also, rather oddly,

to drive[,] by or as by a fillip[comma added by me]

Anticipation filliped his passion.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/...

I personally have never heard it used in this way,

#5AuthorHecuba - UK (250280)  26 Sep 22, 09:53
    Comment

#5 Note that "fillip" is a countable noun: "a fillip".

Danke, das war mir ganz und gar nicht klar. Hältst Du also folgende Beispiele für falsch?

https://www.marketscreener.com/quote/index/FT...

UK's FTSE 100 was nearly flat on Friday, with healthcare stocks offsetting losses in oil majors, as investors awaited details of UK's mini-budget, which is expected to provide fillip to a slowing British economy.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-news/mam...

Mamata’s visit to Delhi is expected to provide fillip to regional opposition powers right before the parties rush into election mode for the upcoming assembly polls in five states.

https://www.orfonline.org/expert-speak/43734-...

The negotiation for the CECA between India and Australia, was started in 2011 to provide fillip to trade and investments between the countries.

#6Author harambee (91833) 26 Sep 22, 10:58
    Comment

Uncountable use of the noun “fillip” is neither listed nor are there any example sentences of it in OED or M-W.

As a countable noun it needn’t always take the indefinite article. The definite article is possible, also the plural:

THE Dublin commercial-property market has received a number of fillips in recent days, with strong prices and rents for prime properties.

05.05.2014 — Despite what Atlanticists argue, the Ukraine crisis has not given that bond the fillip it sorely needed. Americans and Europeans cannot even ...

#7AuthorBion (1092007) 26 Sep 22, 11:47
    Comment

Nur zur Sicherheit: Es bleibt also dabei, dass die drei Beispiele in #6 kein korrektes Englisch sind?!

#8Author harambee (91833) 26 Sep 22, 11:53
    Comment

If “incorrect” means it’s not listed in the standard descriptive dictionaries, then yes, it’s not correct. I don't think I've ever come across the noun used uncountably. I would not recommend it to learners and I'd avoid it myself. That said, though, the intended sense in your examples is perfectly clear.

#9AuthorBion (1092007) 26 Sep 22, 12:18
    Comment

Danke schön, Bion!

#10Author harambee (91833) 26 Sep 22, 12:19
    Comment

But be careful: it's a very uncommon word, at least in US). Most American readers would probably not recognize it, or know what it means. It might be OK in a literary article or story, where you intend to sound high-toned, but even so, most readers would have to look it up to understand what you mean.

#11Author eric (new york) (63613)  26 Sep 22, 16:50
    Comment

Ja, danke Eric! Ich werde das Wort sicherlich nicht selbst einsetzen, aber als es mir über den Weg lief, wollte ich doch wissen, wie es richtig benutzt wird.

#12Author harambee (91833) 26 Sep 22, 18:03
    Comment

"wollte ich doch wissen, wie es richtig benutzt wird."

Kann man ein Wort überhaupt richtig verwenden, wenn es niemand kennt?? :)

#13Author eric (new york) (63613) 26 Sep 22, 19:36
    Comment

Nur. Es kann einem keiner nachweisen, daß man es falsch verwendet!

#14Author mbshu (874725) 26 Sep 22, 19:50
    Comment

Nun, sooooo selten ist das Wort vielleicht doch nicht. Immerhin ist es mir über den Weg gelaufen und ich lese nun nicht unbedingt abstruse Texte.

#15Author harambee (91833) 26 Sep 22, 19:52

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt