Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

distinction or difference

Topic

distinction or difference

Comment

Hello, there,

Here are two sentences, the one using distinction, the other using difference:

1) I don't see any distinction between What is meant by 'even voice'? and What is meant by 'batch processing'?regarding the meaning of What is meant by.

2) I don't see any difference between What is meant by 'even voice'? and What is meant by 'batch processing'? regarding the meaning of What is meant by.

Please, what sentence is correct, respectively, what sentence would you prefer in this context?

Thank you.

(Please post in English)

Authorkeeblerelf (908281)  03 Dec 22, 17:56
    Comment

As written in your examples I don't see any difference between "distinction" and "difference" but, as you can see in this sentence, my preference would be for "difference".

"Distinction" does have an element of "specialness" about it. A "distinction" is a top class of examination result. Someone might be a person (doctor, politician, lawyer etc.) "of distinction".

Also, not "what sentence is correct, respectively, what sentence would you prefer in this context" but "which sentence is correct or which sentence would you prefer in this context".

#1Author FernSchreiber (1341928) 03 Dec 22, 18:16
    Comment

Yes, normally one sees, or doesn't see, a difference between two things.

One often makes a distinction between things, i.e. one takes care to distinguish between them, not confusing them or treating them as if they were the same.

(The association with "specialness" isn't directly relevant here.)

I agree with the last part of #1.

In the suggested version I would just put in a comma before "or", and not necessarily repeat "sentence".

#2AuthorHecuba - UK (250280) 03 Dec 22, 20:27
    Comment

Great help! Thank you very much, both of you 🙂

#3Authorkeeblerelf (908281) 03 Dec 22, 20:43

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt