Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

Can't find previous thread

Topic

Can't find previous thread

Comment
    Several weeks ago I posted a query in this forum under the title "Die Stadt der Bewegung". There were several messages in the discussion, and I found out the information I was looking for.

Today I tried to find that thread again using the Search Forum button, using the same title. But there were no hits. I looked at my notes and found that I had saved the exact URL, which is   related discussion no longer available  ", so I was able to jump directly to the thread.

I also tried to find using the vocabulary search, with the search term Stadt Der BEwegung, but got only a bunch of vocabulary entries, as expected (many pages). Sometimes after listing vocabulary entries LEO will go to find search terms in titles of forums, but not this time.

Any ideas why I couldn't find the thread using the standard LEO search features?

Thanks.
    Authoreric (new york)26 Jul 06, 10:03
    Comment
    "Any ideas why I couldn't find the thread using the standard LEO search features?"

Probably because LEO has been on the fritz for a while now. Some sort of technical problem that has to do with the fact that LEO was moved to new servers. But don't despair, the LEO team are already on it and I'm sure everything will be back to normal in a few weeks.

In the meantime, you can use Google to find LEO threads if you know their title: "Stadt der Bewegung" site:leo.org

HTH
    #1AuthorJalapeno26 Jul 06, 10:10
    Comment
      related discussion no longer available  
    #2Authorminu26 Jul 06, 10:15
    Comment
    eric,

I did the following:
    google search for 'dictforum "Stadt der Bewegung"'
    click on 'Im Cache' of the very first entry
    click on the link (4th entry)
    here it goes
    Topic:
    Die Stadt der Bewegung

Comment:
    A friend has written me a note in which he said that Nürnberg has recently been referred to as "die Stadt der Bewegung". I'm not sure he's right, since I can't find any reference to this phrase through Google. Does anyone know?

Also, what does Bewegung refer to in this case? I've checked LEO and I know the variety of meanings, but I don't know which is likely to be meant in this case. Possibly this refers to the Nazi political movement (=Bewegung)?

Thanks.
    eric (new york) Wed Jul 12 01:42:38 2006
    ---
    Comment:
    As far as I know "Hauptstadt der Bewegung" referred to Munich, not Nuremberg. And yes, the movement in question was the Nazi party. Nuremberg was called "Stadt der Reichsparteitage".
    Norbert Juffa juffa@acm.org Wed Jul 12 02:58:31 2006
    ---
    Comment:
    @ Norbert Juffa

Does "Stadt der Reichsparteitage" mean "City of the days of the Ruling Government Party" ?
    minu Wed Jul 12 06:14:03 2006
    ---
    Comment:
    @minu: not exactly.
    Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N[...] ) übersetzt "Reichsparteitag" mit "Nuremberg Rally", oder "literally: national party congress"

"Stadt der Reichsparteitage" wird dann entweder recht hölzern zu
    "[Nuremberg, ] City of the Nuremberg Rallies"
    oder
    "[Nuremberg, ] City of the national party congresses"

Harald S Wed Jul 12 06:39:52 2006
    ---
    Comment:
    @ Harald S

Oh! Thanks!
    :)

That's an interesting translation, and information about the city of Nuremberg, where I have been, roaming through the magnificiant collections of the Germanische Museum, inside the city palace walls, through saint Martha and Clara's churches, oblivious to this fact!
    minu

I'm pasting the URL here, but don't know for sure if it's going to work:
      related discussion no longer available  
    #3AuthorPeter <de>26 Jul 06, 10:16
    Comment
    current forum --> go to page 7 (seven) --> entry on 12th july --> 07:02 hrs

#4Authorminu26 Jul 06, 10:18
    Comment
    The same problem has ocurred to me several times but all concerning entries in the last two weeks.
    #5AuthorAndreas26 Jul 06, 10:29
    Comment
    @HM: You suggestion works perfectly.

@Peter <de>: I can't get your suggestions to work, although you obviously did. I apparently am misunderstanding your directions. In any case, I do now have one way and that works for me.

I notice that when I have the full URL of the original discussion, it works, but when I try to paste it into a LEO message, it's replaced by "earlier discussion no longer available" (though it is available on a direct jump).

Thanks to you both.
    #6Authoreric (new yor)26 Jul 06, 10:32
    Comment
    Dear eric (new york)

I can see the related discussion now right in the current form page 1!
    Can you see it?
    #7Authorminu26 Jul 06, 10:34
    Comment
    I can re-read the thread.
    Its re-posted at 11:21 today, 26th july!
    #8Authorminu26 Jul 06, 10:47
    Comment
    eric,

sorry to hear you couldn't get my directions to work for you. Have I been to short-lipped (is this a word, for succinct?)?

The way I was describing usually gets me to retrieve old discussions from the net, that is:
    I add the keyword 'dictforum' to my search string (the latter one often enclosed in double quotes to ensure a restricted search).
    More often than not, I have to use the cached version of the hit, not the URL itself, for reasons I'm totally unaware of, as was the case here.
    The cached page showed your query as the fourth entry, I clicked on it, there I was.
    #9AuthorPeter &lt;de&gt;26 Jul 06, 10:51
    Comment
    @ Peter <de>

But in this particular case, I knew the origin date of this discussion.
    So I simply went through the forum pages, found it out, and gave a follow-up reaction! There it was then, right on the start page one, as a new follow-up entry for the 26th of July!
    What say?
    But it seems that eric(New York) is finding it hard to locate and read it EVEN now!
    :(
    #10Authorminu26 Jul 06, 11:08
    Comment
    Don't be too impatient, minu, each one of us has their affairs which keep them from constantly looking into LEO's.
    Lucky you and your steadfast memory, my way to search is suited more for elder people like me ;-)
    #11AuthorPeter &lt;de&gt;26 Jul 06, 11:14
    Comment
    Thank God!
    I thought I had become transparent!
    ;)

Thanks Peter <de>!
    #12Authorminu26 Jul 06, 11:16
    Comment
    #13Authorunknown_spirit26 Jul 06, 11:19

•  
  •