There's a difference between English and British, but on the topic of Britishness here's a useful survey from 2006: http://www.yougov.com/archives/pdf/TEL0501010...
Also, on national pride (compared with other countries) see:
In my view some important characteristics of Englishness include:
1. Placing a high value on humour (which doesn't mean that English people are always funny or that other cultures lack humour).
2. Rowdiness and drunkeness - contrary to what many people think this is not new but was remarked on by foreign visitors to England in the 18th and 19th centuries.
3. A strange mixture of insularity and Weltoffenheit.
4. A belief that England is the 'mother of democracy' (but also a willingness to let the State take liberties - e.g., more CCTV cameras per head of population than anywhere else in the world).
5. Her Majesty the Queen (God bless her) - and the Last Night of the Proms (catch excerpts on YouTube).
I am English (from London) but live in Scotland.