Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

"theatre" in American English?

Topic

"theatre" in American English?

Comment
    Jemand hat gerade einen Link zum Trailer für den "Sex and the City"-Film gepostet: http://www.sexandthecitymovie.com/ , der mit der Ankündigung endet:
    MAY 2008
    ONLY IN THEATRES

Wird die Schreibweise "theatre" tatsächlich auch in AE verwendet?

Cambridge Dictionary of American English, AHD und M-W listen jeweils beiden Schreibweisen ohne regionale Differenzierung:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?ke...
    http://www.bartleby.com/61/54/T0145400.html
    http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Di...
    Authorpaleo (231992) 01 Jan 08, 18:11
    Comment
    It might be that with movies that are distributed all over the world, that BE may be used as the standard rather than AE in some cases.

I as an AE native always spell the word 'theater'.
    #1Authorx02 Jan 08, 00:37
    Comment
    I just looked through the listings in the Los Angeles Times. For movie houses, both spellings are used with theatre predominating slightly. For live venues theater predominates slightly, but both spellings are used. This probably represents the choices of the individual companies.

The headings, which represent the editorial policy of the newspaper, listed "theatre" for movies and "theater" for live.

Perhaps the spelling is now in flux for us Americans with the influence coming west across the Atlantic.
    #2AuthorRobert -- US (unplugged)02 Jan 08, 01:01
    Comment
    In my experience, both spellings are fairly common in AE, and always have been. Personally, I prefer "theater."
    #3Author Sharper (238296) 02 Jan 08, 02:08
    Comment
    It's true that both spellings are widespread among the general public, maybe even especially in contexts like advertising. My impression is that many of the people who use 'theatre' think it adds a touch of class, connoting drama rather than plays, films rather than movies. For my taste, that's a little too pretentious. It almost makes me think of 'theatah' in an exaggerated faux British accent, with a disdainful, nose-in-the-air expression. So, like the other AE speakers so far, I prefer 'theater' myself. I would even guess that AE style guides might too, though I'm not at home where I can check.
    #4Author hm -- us (236141) 02 Jan 08, 06:23
    Comment
    Agree with hm--us. Unless I had a specific reason not to, I would also write theater. Just thought it was interesting that the LA Times chooses to indicate movie houses with theatre and live performance with theater. (See #2) I would have expected it to be the other way around, if different at all.
    #5Author Robert -- US (328606) 02 Jan 08, 08:36
    Comment
    Beide Innenstadt-Kinos der Stadt im Mittleren Westen wo ich normalerweise wohne schreiben sich Theatre (eins ist ein historische Gebäude, nur mit Wochenend- oder Festival-Programm, das andere hat nur einen Saal und zeigt eine sehr gute Auswahl aktueller Filme). Das Multiplex am Stadtrand schreibt sich Theater.
    #6Authorholger (236115) 02 Jan 08, 08:45
    Comment
    Die Ritz Theatres (mindestens eines davon ist z.B. Philadelphia) schreiben sich auch mit -re:
    http://www.ritztheaters.com/ (URL mit -er aber auf dem Website mit -re)
    #7Authorholger (236115) 02 Jan 08, 08:57
    Comment
    @holger:
    (URL mit -er ...)
    not necessarily - http://www.ritztheatres.com/
    #8Authorlunatic02 Jan 08, 09:10
    Comment
    Die Erklärung von hm-us klingt mir plausibel.
    Genauso wie z.B. im AE, wo ja das Wort "store" weit üblicher ist als "shop", manche Läden sich "Ye Olde Shoppe" nennen. Soll dem ganzen wohl einen "Old World"-Anstrich mit antikem Touch geben.
    #9AuthorHillard7 (369669) 02 Jan 08, 09:25
    Comment
    Es gibt zwar in den USA viele Theater die sich ,,theatre´´ nennen, siehe GRAUMAN´S CHINESE THEATRE. Jedoch ist es üblich, bei Texten etc. ,,theater'' zu verwenden.
    #10AuthorUSAGER10 Feb 10, 01:40
    Comment
    It's quite common to find BE spelling used in the US. Contrary to what many Germans learn in English class, most Americans wouldn't bat an eyelid nor even take notice to words such as colour, honour,centre, theatre when used in such context. Many would however find spelling inconsistencies annoying. It's generally accepted to use "color" and "theatre" in the same sentence but not "colour" and "honor" or "theatre" and "theater".

OK: There is colourful glamorous theatre in the centre of town?
    OK There is colorful glamorous theatre in the centre of town? (consistent)
    Looks awful: There is a colourful glamorous theatre in the center of town?

#11AuthorNM10 Feb 10, 02:18
    Comment
    Shouldn't it read: There is a colourful glamourous theatre in the centre of town? Or is your first example OK in spite of not being consistent?
    #12Author Wachtelkönig (396690) 10 Feb 10, 03:08
    Comment
    This is an old thread. If people are going to write in it, I think they should have something correct and meaningful to add.

@NM: What are you basing your statements on? BE spellings are common in works of literature published in Great Britain, though not typically in American publications. Some BE spellings are also used in Canadian English, but that's not exactly the same thing as American English. Centre is chiefly a BE spelling, as are colour and honour. It's true that Americans would understand them readily (if that's what you mean by not bat an eyelash at or not take notice of them), but they do look odd or even wrong to us at first.

The most relevant and correct comments about the spelling theatre in the US were made back in 2008.

Note: According to the American Heritage Dictionary glamorous is the most common spelling in both BE and AE.
    #13Author Amy-MiMi (236989) 10 Feb 10, 04:22

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt