Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

Language lab

"You've got" oder " you got" ?

Topic

"You've got" oder " you got" ?

Comment
    Hallo zusammen,

kann mir jemand sagen, wann man "you've got" oder " you got" schreibt? Beispiel: You('ve) got no idea about...
    Eine Sache die zurzeit noch immer so ist. (Falls das relevant ist?)
    Vielen Dank!
    Authormmkk03 Mar 08, 22:09
    Comment
    "You've got" is correct, but the 've is often dropped in spoken English.
    #1AuthorGibson (418762) 03 Mar 08, 22:38
    Comment
    Das mit dem "have" is so 'ne Sache. Im Deutschen ist es üblich z.B. "Ich habe gewonnen" zu sagen, während es im Englischen eher umgekehrt ist. "I have won" funktioniert zwar, klingt aber genau wie "Ich gewann" eher merkwürdig. An deiner Stelle würde ich "have" nicht so oft verwenden und stattdessen auf die einfache Vergangenheitform der Verben zugreifen.

Beispiel:
    Ich habe das nicht getan.
    I haven't done that. <- schräg<br/>I didn't do that. <- besser
    #2Authordie fette schwuchtel von nebenan03 Mar 08, 23:12
    Comment
    I've got means "Ich habe" : I've got a dog = Ich habe einen Hund. It's not present perfect, so your comment doesn't quite fit, and also there are rather clear rules when to use which tense. "I have won" is not merkwürdig at all, it just depends on the context.
    #3AuthorGibson (418762) 03 Mar 08, 23:36
    Comment
    Gibson is right. When writing, "you've got" (or even "you have got") is preferred. In spoken American English many people say simply "you got".
    If I'm not mistaken, this is also a BE/AE difference, but I'm not up on it enough to say. There are some versions of English that prefer simple "I have" in place of "I have got".

You've got no idea. = You have no idea.
    #4AuthorAmy-MiMi (236989) 03 Mar 08, 23:54
    Comment
    simply put:

I've got a dog = Ich habe einen Hund (this may be a dog that's been in your backyard for a long time)
    I got a dog = Ich habe einen Hund bekommen (this may be a dog you just got for Christmas or your birthday)
    #5Authordude (unplugged)04 Mar 08, 00:10
    Comment
    dude, How do you always manage to beat me on the draw :-))
    #6AuthorCarly-AE (237428) 04 Mar 08, 00:11
    Comment
    @Carly: :-D You know what they say about great minds; I just seem to have the quicker fingers.
    #7Authordude (unplugged)04 Mar 08, 00:45
    Comment
    Hey, dude and Carly. What about that Glenn Miller standard, "I got a gal in Kalamazoo". He's not saying, I don't think, that a girl was given to him as a present in Kalamazoo. He means "I have got a gal in Kalamazoo = I have a girl in Kalamazoo", but that's not what he sings. It's "I got." Don't you think the 've get's dropped in colloquial speech?

What did you get?
    I got a B on that paper. or I received a B on that paper.

What do you have, a car or a motorcycle?
    Oh, I've got a car, but grifter's got a motorcycle. or I have a car, but grifter has a motorcycle.

Are you married?
    No, but I got a gal in Kalamazoo.

#8AuthorAmy-MiMi04 Mar 08, 03:49
    Comment
    Add Gibson's first answer to dude's answer and you('ve) got all you need to know. I think this dropping of the "'ve" in spoken English could be an American thing. Glenn Miller was just singing like many Americans speak: instead of saying "I've got", he said, "I got".

#9AuthorRupe04 Mar 08, 10:42
    Comment
    Thanks!
    Vielen Dank!

#10Authormmkk04 Mar 08, 12:19
    Comment
    Lots of songs use the "I got" form because it works well with the rhythm.

I got music, I got rhythm, I got my gal, who could ask for anything more?

Ain't got nobody

And I think lots of native speakers in the US also often leave it off when talking, but would always write it.
    #11AuthorSelkie (236097) 04 Mar 08, 12:29

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt