Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

Patriot Act

Comment
    " It appears the repressive nature of the USA Patriot Act, which was 2 years old on Sunday, has penetrated the American consciousness to such an extent that it now stands as shorthand parlance for any type of unfairness. Despite Attorney General John Ashcroft's barnstorming tour of the country, selling the act to friendly audiences of law enforcement, nearly 200 communities -- including three states -- have now passed resolutions objecting to its excesses. " -- St. Petersburg Times
    AuthorKim Dammers, Goettingen08 Nov 03, 11:37
    Comment
    Kim, you want "Patriot Act" translated, or just a discussion about the whole thing?
    If the former applies, I would go by Patriotengesetz, to get the flavor across; a German law with the same topic would probably be called Sicherheitsergänzungsausbaugesetz SiErAusG.
    #1AuthorJ.A.L.08 Nov 03, 18:08
    Comment
    Kim, you want "Patriot Act" translated, or just a discussion about the whole thing?
    If the former applies, I would go by Patriotengesetz, to get the flavor across; a German law with the same topic would probably be called Sicherheitsergänzungsausbaugesetz SiErAusG or something like that.
    #2AuthorJ.A.L.08 Nov 03, 18:13
    Comment
    Wenn die betreffenden Bestimmungen nicht gerade im "Zweiten Änderungsgesetz zur Berufsausbildung der Mausefallenhandeler" versteckt sind, that is. Wäre nicht das erste Mal, daß Gesetze in Form eine Trojanischen Pferds den Bundestag passieren sollen... ;-)
    #3AuthorData08 Nov 03, 19:10
    Comment
    USA PATRIOT Act = "Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism Act"

Also ein nicht ganz einsthafter Vorschlag: "Gesetz zur Einigung und Stärkung Amerikas mittels Einführung zur Terrorismusverhinderung-und bekämpfung geeigneter Maßnahmen" = "GEinStäAmEinTergMa"
    #4AuthorMark08 Nov 03, 20:24
    Comment
    J.A.L.: No, I wasn't looking for a translation: that's why I didn't post it there. It was more a tip for people who might run across the usage quoted.
    #5AuthorKim Dammers, Goettingen10 Nov 03, 09:44

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt