•  
  • Betrifft

live vs. living

Kommentar
    Hallo,

ich möchte fragen, ob ich auch sagen kann: "I am living in Germany" anstatt "I live in Germany".
    Und wenn ja, ob dann die entsprechende Frage "Where are you living?" auch noch richtig ist.
    VerfasserDanD (383344) 02 Aug. 08, 08:48
    Kommentar
    "I am living" klingt nach einem vorübergehenden Zustand: "I'm living in Germany right now, but I'm moving to Portugal next year."
    #1VerfasserMr Chekov (DE)02 Aug. 08, 09:21
    Kommentar
    Ja, Danke, Mr. Chekov; aber meine Frage bezieht sich gerade auf den dauerhaften Wohnsitz. Ich las in einem anderen Forum, dass es nur weniger gebräuchlich wäre, die Verlaufsform zu verwenden, dass es aber nicht grundsätzlich falsch sein soll. Es widerspricht allerdings auch dem, was ich gelernt habe und ich wollte mich deshalb nochmal hier vergewissern.
    Was meinen denn die Muttersprachler?
    #2VerfasserDanD (383344) 02 Aug. 08, 17:38
    Kommentar
    This native speaker agrees with Mr Chekov -- it's not right unless it's a temporary situation.
    #3Verfasserhm -- us (236141) 02 Aug. 08, 18:06
    Kommentar
    "Was meinen denn die Muttersprachler?"
    Well, I could go into all the (very confusing) grammatical rules here, but let's just stick with what I tell my students:
    Do/Can you see the "end"?
    I'm living under a bridge (when the weather gets colder I'll move into a tunnel)
    I'm working at Joe Blow's market (but not for much longer)
    She's living on life support (I don't need to explain this one do I?)
    Here's another trick (?), does the sentence convey what you want it to if you add "at the moment" to the end?
    I'm living with my boyfriend, at the moment. (the guy is surely on his out, no? )
    Please be particularly careful when talking to clients / customers and the like - it sounds very flighty to say "I'm working in the sales department."
    The customer is likely to think "oh my, where will she be working tomorrow - perhaps I should speak with someone who will be around for a while.
    that's my (native speaker) 2 cents!
    #4Verfassermags22 (423223) 02 Aug. 08, 18:16
    Kommentar
    Ich danke euch allen. Das Leo-Forum ist eben doch das beste!
    #5VerfasserDanD (383344) 03 Aug. 08, 01:29
    Kommentar
    ahhh, it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling when people say thanks!
    #6Verfassermags22 (423223) 03 Aug. 08, 01:31
    Kommentar
    ach schön, ist das nett, mags22!
    #7VerfasserDanD (383344) 03 Aug. 08, 01:47

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Tastatur

• Sonderzeichen