Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Topic

Das "o" in "o'clock"

Comment
    Guten morgen!

Ich frage mich nur gerade, woher das "o" in "o'clock" kommt. Kürzt das irgendwas ab? Ist es einfach nur so da? Einträge in den mir zur Verfügung stehenden Lexika bringen mich nicht weiter... Ich frage aus reiner Interesse!

Danke!
    AuthorJ05 May 10, 11:37
    Comment
    I always thought it stood for "on the"
    #1Authorbevalisch05 May 10, 11:39
    Comment
    That would make sense, anyone else? (:
    #2AuthorJ05 May 10, 11:41
    Comment
    #3Author CM2DD (236324) 05 May 10, 11:43
    Comment
    #4AuthorJohn05 May 10, 11:44
    Comment
    Almost...

My etymological dictionary says its from Middle English of the clokke , first attested 1389.
    #5AuthorEverytime05 May 10, 11:44
    Comment
    On the clock. Think so too..

___EDIT:
    OK, or of... :)

___EDIT again:
    Googleing ["o'clock" "of the clock"] and ["o'clock" "on the clock"], both return around 7m results..
    #6Author Sage N. Fer Get K.S.C. (382314) 05 May 10, 11:44
    Comment
    Thank you guys
    #7AuthorJ05 May 10, 11:49
    Comment
    But Sage, that includes pages that say "he had three thousand miles on the clock" or "the hands of the clock": I'd just trust the etymological dictionaries that have actually researched into this. Plus "of the clock" is what we learned in school :-)
    #8Author CM2DD (236324) 05 May 10, 11:50
    Comment
    Okay, you're the Briton :)
    To me personally 'on' just makes much more sense though, as you also often hear stuff like "They were two goals behind with only ten minutes left on the clock"..

But you're right, I didn't even really look at the Google results..
    #9Author Sage N. Fer Get K.S.C. (382314) 05 May 10, 11:55
    Comment
    ...that includes pages that say "he had three thousand miles on the clock" or "the hands of the clock"...

A nice illustration of the pitfalls of using a search engine! :-)
    #10AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 05 May 10, 11:56
    Comment
    They used to say "at ten of the clock" etc: http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&esrch=Be...
    #11Author CM2DD (236324) 05 May 10, 12:08
    Comment
    OK, I was wrong :-)

It makes sense though :-P
    #12Authorbevalisch05 May 10, 12:39
    Comment
    #11: They used to say "at ten of the clock" etc

Yes. Funnily enough, I recently bought a couple of bargain (:-))), original early 18th century books published in London. So far, I've only had time to browse through them. Some of the use of language is fascinating (and quite "Germanic" at times: e.g. lots of ", that" and at least one "informations" :-)). And, IIRC, they're also littered with "of the clock" (and I don't recall seeing "o'clock" in them so far). Am away from home now but will try to confirm this later. (And I don't think the books are on Google Books...)
    #13AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 05 May 10, 13:03

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt