Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

Lebensschwäche (caution: this is sad)

Subject

Lebensschwäche (caution: this is sad)

Sources

Todesart: Lebensschwäche in folge Frühgeburt

Comment

From a registry of deaths from the 1870s, Austria.

This registry notes the death almost immediately after birth of two twin girls. What is the best way to translate "Lebensschwäche" as a consequence of premature birth?

AuthorLara@ (269134) 16 May 22, 01:40
    Sources

and eventually the child dies of weakness and inanition

But one can also suspect an additional 37 babies said to have died of weakness

These remedies were not effective, and the infant often became sicker or died of weakness or mercury poisoning.

Comment

Das sieht für mich so aus, als sei weakness der passende Begriff im Englischen.

#1AuthorSelima (107) 16 May 22, 07:36
    Sources

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC... - notes a regional variation weakness/debility in 19th c. Scotland.

https://www.bmj.com/content/s2-2/17/494 - translation of Stuttgart hospital report in a 19th c. British medical digest. Translates "Lebensschwäche" as "debility".

Comment

"Prematurity" was frequently listed as the cause of infant mortality in th 19th century.  "Debility" and the synonym provided by Selima , "weakness" (either of which is fine for Lebensschwäche, I think) were too. But you need a term that combines both of them.

I think I would write "debility following premature birth". Unless someone out there can come up with a more medical sounding phrase than "following"? "As sequala"? I don't know.

#2AuthorAE procrastinator (1268904) 16 May 22, 11:16

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt