Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

otherwise - alias?

[law][Brit.]
    Sources
    In a British birth certificate the name of the father is given, and then:
    ...otherwise The Marquis of ...
    After the name of the mother it reads
    ...otherwise The Marchioness of ...
    Comment
    One of the German translations is "alias", but I have only ever seen this when they refer to a criminal or in a slightly dubious context.
    Or would you say "auch bekannt als"?

Thank you for any suggestions.
    AuthorYogi12 (291210) 01 Nov 16, 16:08
    Comment
    Ich kann nicht sagen, ob Folgendes auch für Dein Problem passt, aber in Teilen Deutschlands (u.a. in Westfalen) gibt es Namen, die wie folgt lauten:

Peter Müller, genannt Schulte-Stein.
    Diese Person  ist dann allgemein  meist nur bekannt unter dem Namen Schulte-Stein

Ich vermute, dass man in Deinem Fall das "otherwise" im Deutschen weg lassen würde, weil der Zusatz ein Titel ist:
    Charles Miller, Marquis von ...
    #1Authorwienergriessler (925617) 01 Nov 16, 16:26
    Comment
    Vielen Dank für den Tipp mit der Website. Ich werde wahrscheinlich einfach
    ..., auch Marquis of ...
    schreiben.

#2AuthorYogi12 (291210) 01 Nov 16, 17:25
    Comment
    Ich würde "auch" ebenfalls weglassen und "otherwise" gar nicht übersetzen, denn "auch" ist sehr nahe an "alias", was ein Alternativname wäre, hier aber nicht ist.
    #3AuthorAlivo (1159675) 02 Nov 16, 00:37
    Comment
    Strictly speaking, this is OT (because you are seeking a German translation). However, for future reference, I'll mention that one of my friends has an "alias" on his bar admission certificate (to practice law).

His full name (which I won't give here) is John Paul Ringo, but he always went by, and was known as, Robert ("Rob") Paul Ringo. The certificate shows "John Paul Ringo, alias Robert Paul Ringo."

He has the certificate hanging on the wall of his office.

The upshot: "alias" is not used by or for criminals only. It simply means what it means--it's not necessarily either positive or negative.*

*That is not to say that I didn't laugh at Rob when I saw his certificate with the "alias" in it.
    #4AuthorHappyWarrior (964133) 02 Nov 16, 02:54
    Comment
    This is a matter of German usage, on which I won't comment. But I would point out that we are not dealing with an alternative name, but with a title, which is additional to the name, but by which the holder is also known.

An historical example would be 'George Gordon, Lord Byron'. You might ask yourself what you would do in German there. George Gordon was his name, Lord Byron his title.
    #5Authorescoville (237761) 02 Nov 16, 10:49

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt