Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

das verb 'verbrechen'.

Sources
    Kann sein, dass es daran liegt, dass ich aus der Schweiz komme, aber bei uns gibt es das Verb 'verbrechen'. Nach meinem Verständnis bedeutet es klar 'ein Verbrechen begehn', wird jedoch heutzutage nur noch scherzhaft als halb-antiquierten Ausdruck eingesetzt.

http://de.thefreedictionary.com/verbrechen

Gibts sowas im Englischen nicht auch in einem Wort?
    AuthorEphraimSteinbach (791901) 03 May 11, 11:50
    Comment
    I don't think so - in English, we "commit a crime".
    #1Author the kat (387522) 03 May 11, 11:51
    Suggestionto offend
    Sources
    Verb

* S: (v) pique, offend (cause to feel resentment or indignation) "Her tactless remark offended me"
    * S: (v) transgress, offend, infract, violate, go against, breach, break (act in disregard of laws, rules, contracts, or promises) "offend all laws of humanity"; "violate the basic laws or human civilization"; "break a law"; "break a promise"
    * S: (v) shock, offend, scandalize, scandalise, appal, appall, outrage (strike with disgust or revulsion) "The scandalous behavior of this married woman shocked her friends"
    * S: (v) hurt, wound, injure, bruise, offend, spite (hurt the feelings of) "She hurt me when she did not include me among her guests"; "This remark really bruised my ego"
    Comment
    Du suchst ein Verb für "ein Verbrechen begehen"?
    #2Author penguin (236245) 03 May 11, 11:52
    Comment
    But all of those require an object, which "verbrechen" doesn't.

Often, the simple "to do" can be used in this context - "What have you done?" (in the correct tone of voice) is pretty much always understood to mean something like "Was hast du verbrochen?".
    #3Author the kat (387522) 03 May 11, 11:53
    Comment
    Or:
    What have you been (getting) up to?
    But you need the appropriate tone of voice for that, too.
    #4Author SD3 (451227) 03 May 11, 12:23
    Comment
    Another AE/BE difference, maybe?

This site uses "offend" without an object, also "re-offend"
    http://www.thesite.org/homelawandmoney/law/in...
    #5Author penguin (236245) 03 May 11, 12:49
    Comment
    That's interesting, I have never heard/read it used that way before.
    #6Author the kat (387522) 03 May 11, 13:11
    Comment
    Naja, auf der einen Seite suche ich eine ebenso wertende Übersetzung für "Wer hat das verbrochen?" .. bzw. "Wer hat das auf dem Gewissen?" usw.

Auf der anderen Seite hab ich mich eben gefragt, ob es wirklich kein Verb dafür gibt im Englischen, bzw. im Deutschen. Als Beispielsatz: "Als bekannt wurde, was er verbrochen hatte, verstiess ihn seine Familie."
    #7AuthorEphraimSteinbach (791901) 03 May 11, 16:09
    Comment
    When his crimes/offenses became known, his family threw him out.

That's the only way I know to say it. Fewer words than in Switzerland.
    #8Authormabr (598108) 03 May 11, 18:20
    Comment
    Gibt's doch nicht nur in der Schweiz.

Steht ganz normal im Duden:

etwas verbrechen
    "was hast du wieder verbrochen?"

- mabr, das bezieht sich nicht auf richtige Verbrechen, sondern z.B. darauf, eine Vase zerdeppert zu haben oder den Monatslohn versoffen zu haben
    #9Author ad.joe (236303) 03 May 11, 18:44
    Comment
    Crimes vx. offenses was meant to cover a range of contexts. There are other possible formulations, of course, such as: His family cut him off when they learned what he had done. And "offend" can be used intransitively, though it's very formal: When they learned how he had offended,...
    #11Authormabr (598108) 03 May 11, 23:22

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt