Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

mitkochen

[cook.]
    Sources
    "mitkochen" hat 2 Bedeutungen

a) eine Zutat mitkochen oder mitkochen lassen (= sie später zugeben und mit dem Rest gemeinsam kochen lassen), z.B. in der Suppe eine Sellerieknolle mitkochen (lassen)

b) für jdn. mitkochen = eine zusätzlche Person beim Essen berücksichtigen, z.B. in dem Satz "Für einen mehr mitzukochen ist kein Problem"
    AuthorIlldiko (763882) 16 Apr 12, 01:35
    Comment
    to add a celery root to the soup
    to cook for an/one additional person

e.g.
    #1Author dude (253248) 16 Apr 12, 01:47
    Comment
    Objection:

a) You can add a celery root to the soup just before serving it, without "mitkochen"

b) "kochen" in "mitkochen" does not refer to a dish or to the state of boiling, nor to the art of cooking, so I wonder if "to cook" is the proper verb here
    #2AuthorIlldiko (763882) 16 Apr 12, 02:11
    Comment
    Object all you want; since you didn't ask a question, I have no idea what your point or the reason for your post is.
    #3Author dude (253248) 16 Apr 12, 02:30
    Comment
    #3:You don't seem to have caught on to the purpose of the LEO section "English missing" after so many years. Be aware that people using this section are looking for English equivalents of the expressions indicated in the subject line!
    #4AuthorIlldiko (763882) 16 Apr 12, 02:43
    Comment
    You don't seem to have caught on the the fact that the OP (in this case you) is the one desiring an answer. Consequently it would behoove the OP to furnish as much context as possible or necessary, or at least a sentence in which the word or term for which a translation is sought is used. You've merely placed two different meanings for a German word, asked no question and are apparently expecting those wanting to help you to read your mind. AFAIK, no one here's a mind reader. If you don't say what you're looking for, you might not get the answer you're expecting. I still don't know what it is you want, but I'm sure someone else will drop by soon to help you, maybe even someone who reads minds.
    #5Author dude (253248) 16 Apr 12, 02:48
    Comment
    Some examples:

Haferflocken in die Suppe geben. Mitkochen lassen.
    Add rolled oats to the soup and simmer.

Alzheimer-Patienten öfter mitkochen lassen
    Letting Alzheimer patients join in with the cooking once in a while

Soll ich für jemanden was mitkochen?
    Anyone want me to cook something for them too?

I don't know what you mean by that part about boiling, dishes and the art of cooking.

If your native language is German, don't feel that you have to answer in English just because I'm writing in English; I speak German, but use my native tongue to reduce the potential for misunderstandings.
    #6Author CM2DD (236324) 16 Apr 12, 08:33
    Comment
    Hier köchelt es aber (über), mon Dieu.

a) cook it along with
    b) cook for an extra person

*hunger*
    #7Authorcryme (795004) 16 Apr 12, 08:46
    Comment
    just my 2 cts:
    Mitkochen (was kein besonders schönes Wort ist) im 1. Sinn:

add "ingredients" and continue cooking/simmering for "amount of time"/ until ... soft or whatever....

im 2. Sinn:
    expand the meal for another person (im Deutschen "kipp Wasser nach, es kommt Besuch!")

Ich habe auch gesehen, dass "mitkochen" offenbar auch dafür verwendet wird, wenn es darum geht, in Gruppen zu kochen.

Ich halte "mitkochen" für keine sehr gelungene Beschreibung, weil es den Vorgang (welcher auch immer es sein soll), nicht sehr exakt beschreibt.

Edit: Das wird auch in CM2DDs Beitrag deutlich. Ich habe zweimal hingucken müssen, um zu verstehen, was "Alzheimer-Patienten öfter mitkochen lassen" heißen sollte :-) SCNR
    #8Author waltherwithh (554696) 16 Apr 12, 09:08
    Comment
    @waltherwithh: Off topic ...
    Edit: Das wird auch in CM2DDs Beitrag deutlich. Ich habe zweimal hingucken müssen, um zu verstehen, was "Alzheimer-Patienten öfter mitkochen lassen" heißen sollte :-) SCNR
    Alzheimer-Patienten werden im fortgeschrittenen Stadium SEHR umgangssprachlich manchmal als Gemüse bezeichnet (wenn leider gar keine Reaktionen auf Ansprache usw. vorhanden sind). Ist also nicht GAAAAR so weit hergeholt.
    SCNR - either.
    #9Author rufus (de) (398798) 16 Apr 12, 09:14
    Sources
    cook

verb (used with object)
    1. to prepare (food) by the use of heat, as by boiling, baking, or roasting.
    2. to subject (anything) to the application of heat.
    3. Slang . to ruin; spoil.
    4. Informal . to falsify, as accounts: to cook the expense figures.

verb (used without object)
    5. to prepare food by the use of heat.
    6. (of food) to undergo cooking.
    7. Slang .
    a. to be full of activity and excitement: Las Vegas cooks around the clock.
    b. to perform, work, or do in just the right way and with energy and enthusiasm: That new drummer is really cooking tonight. Now you're cooking!
    c. to be in preparation; develop: Plans for the new factory have been cooking for several years.
    d. to take place; occur; happen: What's cooking at the club?
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cook

oder hier:
    cook
    1. Prepare (food, a dish, or a meal) by combining and heating the ingredients in various ways
    * - shall I cook dinner tonight?
    * - I told you I could cook
    * - a cooked breakfast

2. (of food) Be heated so that the condition required for eating is reached
    * - while the rice is cooking, add the saffron to the stock

3. Heat food and cause it to thicken and reduce in volume
    * - cooking down the chutney can take up to 45 minutes

4. (of food being cooked) Be reduced in volume in this way

5. Be happening or planned
    * - what's cooking on the alternative fuels front?

6. Alter dishonestly; falsify
    * - a narcotics team who cooked the evidence

7. Be in an inescapably bad situation
    * - if I can't talk to him, I'm cooked

8. Perform or proceed vigorously or well
    * - the band used to get up on the bandstand and really cook
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=cook&tbs=dfn:1...
    Comment

"expand the meal for another person" würde aber kein Mensch sagen.

Entweder: There's one more for dinner - have we got enough?
    oder: We have a guest for dinner - is there enough to eat?

und zu Illdikos Ursprungsfrage: "to cook" wäre in jedem Fall das passende Verb, siehe oben.
    #10Author penguin (236245) 16 Apr 12, 09:16
    Comment
    @#9: leider hatte ich auch die Assoziation mit "living vegetable"...

@#10: "cook" ist wieder mal ein schönes Beispiel dafür, dass offenbar im "allgemeinen" Sprachgebrauch viele verschiedene Tätigkeiten, für die es auch viele verschiedene Ausdrücke oder Beschreibungen gibt, nur noch mit einem Wort belegt werden, was leider unpräzise ist.
    Wenn man mal etwas intensiver mit "Küche" zu tun gehabt hat (habe ich), fällt das auch in Unterhaltungen (bei mir häufiger mit US-Amerikanern) auf, wenn ich da z.B. versuche, ein Rezept zu erläutern.
    Andererseits wird "cook" offensichtlich auch mit anderen Dingen verbunden, die man auf Anhieb nicht unbedingt mit der Küche verbindet.
    #11Author waltherwithh (554696) 16 Apr 12, 09:53
    Comment
    viele verschiedene Tätigkeiten, für die es auch viele verschiedene Ausdrücke oder Beschreibungen gibt, nur noch mit einem Wort belegt werden, was leider unpräzise ist.
    Well, 'cook' is the umbrella term for boiling, steaming, baking, roasting, etc. - it isn't a specific term. German uses the same word 'kochen' both as an umbrella term (heating using water) and as a specific term (bringing to boiling point). I don't see why one use of the word is better than another.
    #12Author CM2DD (236324) 16 Apr 12, 10:06
    Comment
    #8: Ich habe auch gesehen, dass "mitkochen" offenbar auch dafür verwendet wird, wenn es darum geht, in Gruppen zu kochen.

#11: Andererseits wird "cook" offensichtlich auch mit anderen Dingen verbunden, die man auf Anhieb nicht unbedingt mit der Küche verbindet.

Was kann ich mir unter diesen Aussagen konkret vorstellen?
    #13Author M-A-Z (306843) 16 Apr 12, 10:41
    Comment
    Schau Dir mal die in #10 verlinkten Bedeutungen an -
    z.B. "to cook the figures" = die Statistik schönen
    oder "to cook the books" = "kreative" Buchhaltung
    #14Author penguin (236245) 16 Apr 12, 10:43
    Comment
    ...die man auf Anhieb nicht unbedingt mit der Küche verbindet.

To explain the metaphors:

5. Be happening or planned
    * - what's cooking on the alternative fuels front?
    Imagine a pot on the stove, with something being prepared that is going to be ready later.

6. Alter dishonestly; falsify
    * - a narcotics team who cooked the evidence

When you cook something, you turn it into something different (hard carrots into soft carrot soup, etc.)

7. Be in an inescapably bad situation
    * - if I can't talk to him, I'm cooked

From the frying pan into the fire...

8. Perform or proceed vigorously or well
    * - the band used to get up on the bandstand and really cook

Imagine the pot from before, boiling and bubbling.
    #15Author CM2DD (236324) 16 Apr 12, 10:50
    Comment
    Das Übertragen von Bedeutungen ist allerdings ein Phänomen, das so alt ist wie die Sprache selbst. Das ist weder negativ, noch eine Besonderheit des Verbs "to cook".

Bedeutung 6. entspricht z.B. dem deutschen "etw. frisieren" - eine Bedeutung, die von der Haarpflege auf das Fälschen von Dingen übertragen wurde.
    #16Author M-A-Z (306843) 16 Apr 12, 10:55
    Comment
    related discussion: Stations of the Cross
    Illdikos Anfrage und Bemerkungen
    #17AuthorBraunbärin (757733) 16 Apr 12, 11:02
    Comment
    #17 verstehe ich nicht ganz.
    #18Author penguin (236245) 16 Apr 12, 11:12
    Comment
    Ich glaube, Braunbärin wollte weitere Kostproben von Illdikos Umgangston geben, damit wir uns ein besseres Bild machen können.
    #19Author Lady Grey (235863) 16 Apr 12, 11:28
    Comment
    pflichte #19 bei... Illdiko ist lt. Profil weder deutsch- noch englischsprachig.

Die Diskussion rutscht jetzt auch mehr ins Sprachlabor ab.

@#16: ist ja richtig, aber genau da wird es eben wichtig, präzise mit der jeweiligen Sprache umzugehen, weil eben in diesen Bereichen nicht immer eine 1:1-Übertragung richtig ist. Dazu gibt es aber schon alte Diskussionen.
    OT: Ich finde es schade, wenn die Vielfalt von Sprache verloren geht...
    #20Author waltherwithh (554696) 16 Apr 12, 11:36
    Comment
    genau da wird es eben wichtig, präzise mit der jeweiligen Sprache umzugehen
    So do you mean in #11 that your US friends in Germany have started using 'cook' when they really mean 'boil', for example?
    #21Author CM2DD (236324) 16 Apr 12, 11:37
    Comment
    Illdikos Ton war mir zwar auch aufgefallen, ich hatte aber schon allein aufgrund des Namens ebenfalls eine andere Muttersprache vermutet und daher den benefit of the doubt gelten lassen .... Außerdem fand ich die Frage gerechtfertigt und die anschließenden Reaktionen .... nun ja, weniger.
    #22Author penguin (236245) 16 Apr 12, 11:40
    Comment
    #20: Illdiko ist lt. Profil weder deutsch- noch englischsprachig

I just assume s/he is one of those users who haven't bothered to fill out their profile.
    #23AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 16 Apr 12, 11:44
    Comment
    Die Diskussion gleitet jetzt auch noch ins Persönliche ab. Offensichtlich hat niemand mehr zum angefragten Terminus etwas zu sagen.
    #24Author M-A-Z (306843) 16 Apr 12, 12:04
    Comment
    OT re #24: Die Diskussion gleitet jetzt auch noch ins Persönliche ab.

Touched a raw nerve, did I? Am I right in assuming that neither German nor English is your native language (cf. your profile as it currently stands)?
    #25AuthorKinkyAfro (587241) 16 Apr 12, 12:11
    Comment
    @#16: wobei dann seltsame "Rotationen" entstehen können. In heutigem "Werbe-Sprech" ist dann wieder von "tuning für die Haare" die Rede.

Vllt. suchen die Mitdiskutanden nach einer Erklärung/Hilfe, wie Illdiko besser unter die Arme zu greifen wäre? Z.B. wenn eben das Profil ausgefüllt wird.
    #26Author waltherwithh (554696) 16 Apr 12, 12:20

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt