Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

German missing

meet 'em and plead 'em McJustice

Subject

meet 'em and plead 'em McJustice

Sources
    He had bought the handgun when he was a public defender and a client had accused him of "meet 'em and plead 'em McJustice".
    Comment
    Ich habe diesen Satz in einem Roman gelesen, bei dem es um einen Rechtsanwalt geht, der - ganz typisch - als netter Kerl angefangen hat und dann nur noch auf Profit aus war und jetzt allein in seinem großen Haus sitzt.
    Leider verstehe ich nicht, was der Klient ihm vorwirft. Könnt ihr mir helfen??? Schon im Voraus herzlichen Dank :-)
    Author J_u_l_i_a (922683) 25 Jan 16, 21:13
    Comment
    Er hat seine Klienten wie Massenware behandelt. McJustice ist natürlich eine Anspielung auf McDonald's.
    #1Author dude (253248) 25 Jan 16, 21:23
    Comment
    Danke für die schnelle Antwort! Jetzt hat es Klick gemacht :-)
    #2Author J_u_l_i_a (922683) 25 Jan 16, 21:50
    Comment
    Another note that might help: To plead a defendant, used as a transitive verb, is insider court jargon, meaning more or less have them plead, get them through the process of a plea.

Without a little more context I'm not sure whether it means merely (1) to enter a plea on their behalf before the court (i.e., plead guilty, no contest, or innocent), or (2) to strike a plea bargain on their behalf; essentially, to assume they're going to have to plead guilty and agree to a (hopefully lesser) charge in order to avoid trial.

To me (2) is possibly more likely because it's more cynical, but even (1) would express an assembly-line procedure for getting people into and out of court fast. Public defenders don't have a great reputation. Some sincerely try to help but often burn out from being underpaid and grossly overworked, and often unable to prevail against the entrenched system. Others are just not very good lawyers who work essentially as cogs in the system, just getting the paperwork done with the minimum required effort, not actually standing up for clients' rights at all.

The latter type seems to be what the accusation was about -- he was afraid that if a client thought he didn't work hard enough to defend him, the client might attack him or have someone else attack him, so he bought the gun.

Not sure how to put any of that into German -- I agree with dude's overall assessment, but it would help if someone could actually translate the other words.
    #3Author hm -- us (236141) 25 Jan 16, 21:56
    Comment
    Since the OP said, "Ich habe diesen Satz in einem Roman gelesen ...," I didn't think a translation was necessary. What was needed was an explanation or maybe an interpretation. I don't think it's possible to actually translate "meet 'em and plead 'em McJustice" without making it sound completely lame and wordy.
    #4Author dude (253248) 25 Jan 16, 22:10
    Sources
    Comment
    yes the 'Mc' prefix suggests contempt.
    #5Authorchristopher H (265481) 26 Jan 16, 09:27

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt