Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

entfallen

Sources
    So gesehen entfällt Paglens Rechtfertigung, die er sonst gegenüber den „Bestohlenen Dieben“, den Geheimdiensten, die ihre eigenen Bürger ausforschen, für die Enttarnung, das Stehlen des Schutzes der Unbekanntheit hat.
    Comment
    I am having trouble with this sentence. I feel like a verb is missing... Can anyone please help with this translation?
    Thanks.
    Authorsweetblood (276718) 28 Jan 16, 21:39
    Ergebnisse aus dem Wörterbuch
    to be dispensed with entfallen  | entfiel, entfallen |
    to be omitted entfallen  | entfiel, entfallen |
    to be inapplicable entfallen  | entfiel, entfallen |
    not to apply entfallen  | entfiel, entfallen |
    His name escapes me.Sein Name ist mir gerade entfallen.
    the date slipped my minddas Datum ist mir entfallen
    The clause is not applicable.Die Klausel entfällt.
    Comment
    I don't think anything's missing. Take out the center part: So gesehen entfällt Paglens Rechtfertigung, die er sonst ... für die Enttarnung (oder) das Stehlen des Schutzes der Unbekanntheit hat.
    #1Author dude (253248) 28 Jan 16, 21:42
    Comment
    So gesehen entfällt Paglens Rechtfertigung, die er sonst.... hat.

There's your verb :)

I don't feel up to a translation but it roughly means:

Looking at it this way, the justification Paglen normally sees for the "robbed thieves", the secret services spying on their own population, for blowing [their?] cover, for stealing the protection of anonymity, is null and void.

I know that's an awful sentence, but I hope it helps you to understand it better.
    (Actually, the German sentence wouldn't win any prizes, either ;-)
    #2Author Gibson (418762) 28 Jan 16, 21:44
    Comment
    Nein, es fehlt kein Verb. Die relevanten Verben sind "entfallen" und "haben/hat".

Mein Versuch (non-native), unter Beibehaltung der Satzstruktur:

Thus, Paglen's justification, which he otherwise brings forward (*?) in regard to the "thiefs who have been victims of theft themselves" (**?), for the intelligence services who spy on their own citizens, for the exposure, the stealing of the cover provided by anonymity, becomes invalid.

*Bin mir beim passenden Verb zur vorgebrachten "justification" nicht sicher. Vielleicht: becomes moot?
    ** "bestohlene Diebe" - geht sicher noch besser. edit: # 2 scheint mir hier gut.

edit: andere waren schneller ;-)
    #3Author mad (239053) 28 Jan 16, 21:51
    Comment
    I love you guys! Thanks!!!
    #4Authorsweetblood (276718) 28 Jan 16, 22:05

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt