Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

deserting fable

Sources
    Wie versteht ihr in folgendem Satz "and, deserting fable"? Stehe ich auf der Leitung oder stimmt etwas nicht mit dem Satz?

Later, the prophet Ezekiel was to carry this wisdom a stage further, and, deserting fable, to make his passionate appeal to reason and justice:

"That hath not eaten upon the mountains, neither hath lifted up his eyes to the idols of the house of Israel ..."

Danke im Voraus.
    Authortina_1 (480293) 16 Mar 16, 11:20
    Comment
    Der sich hier einmal nicht der Fabel (die ja märchenhaft, gerade nicht rational, ist) bediente, sondern einen leidenschaftlichen Appell an Vernunft und Gerechtigkeit richtete.
    #1AuthorLady Grey (235863) 16 Mar 16, 11:30
    Comment
    The quoted verse seems to be in Ezekiel, chapter 18, where Ezekiel rejects the idea that the sins of the fathers should be visited upon the sons.

I notice that in the previous chapter he tells a parable about a great eagle. Perhaps there are other parables too -- I haven't got time to look.

Now, the writer says, he stops using stories as a vehicle for his teaching and speaks plainly.

Does this fit in with what precedes your sentence?
    #2AuthorHecuba - UK (250280) 16 Mar 16, 11:46
    Comment
    Vielen Dank, genau das ist es.
    #3Authortina_1 (480293) 16 Mar 16, 11:57
    Comment
    I think Hecuba has spotted the correct chapter (18), in which God tells Ezekiel to put a stop to the "proverb" that men will not be punished for their own sins. Ezekiel 18:1-4 (King James Version).

The OP's reference to "fable" corresponds to the KJV's "proverb."
    #4AuthorHappyWarrior (964133) 16 Mar 16, 12:02
    Comment
    #4 ... the "proverb" that men will not be punished for their own sins.
    I think you're misreading this.
    The proverb says that 'The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge'.
    And in the following verses, up to v. 20, Ezekiel contradicts this at great length, saying that the son will not be punished for the sins of the father (and vice versa).

I also doubt that the writer of tina_1's text would refer to a proverb as 'fable'. But she has the complete context, we haven't.
    #5AuthorHecuba - UK (250280) 16 Mar 16, 12:50
    Comment
    deserting fable - here perhaps von der Fabel (Gleichnis?) Abstand nehmen (zurücklassen/beiseite lassen) - oder bin ich auf dem Holzweg...
    #6Authornoli (489500) 16 Mar 16, 13:00
    Comment
    Re #5.

Hecuba, I don't know why the OP text uses the word "fable." But it does, and it's clear (to me) that it refers to the "proverb" mentioned in 18:2-3. God directs Ezekiel to stop using that proverb (verse 3).

The effect of stopping the use of that proverb is just as you said in the first paragraph of #2: Ezekiel rejects the idea that the sins of the fathers should be visited upon the sons.

If you'll reread #4, you'll see that that is exactly what I also said (using different words). From God's (and now Ezekiel's) perspective, that proverb is a fable.

Where the KJV uses proverb, Luther uses Sprichwort, which according to Cassell's means "proverb."
    #7AuthorHappyWarrior (964133) 16 Mar 16, 19:55

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt