Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Englisch gesucht

die beleidigte Leberwurst spielen - to be butthurt?

Betreff

die beleidigte Leberwurst spielen - to be butthurt?

[ugs.]
    Quellen
    "Spiel nicht die beleidigte Leberwurst!"
    Kommentar
    I am looking for an English equivalent of the German expression "beleidigte Leberwurst." You call somebody a "beleidigte Leberwurst" if he or she is unnecessarily offended by something somebody else has said. The translation given by LEO - to act like a prima donna - is not entirely suitable. One can be overly offended by something without acting like a drama queen.

I have frequently encountered the expression "to be butthurt" in online discussions on websites like facebook and youtube. Although I believe this comes very close to the German expression in meaning, it is a different register or level of language. "Die beleidigte Leberwurst spielen" is, although colloquial, not vulgar
    and can be used in polite conversation. Anybody can help?
    Verfasserjakob.d.huewer (726981) 29 Sep. 16, 17:23
    Kommentar
    To be a sorehead
    To be/get (all) bent out of shape

e.g.
    #1Verfasser dude (253248) 29 Sep. 16, 17:33
    Kommentar
    Hier findest Du einige Vorschläge: http://www.dict.cc/?s=beleidigte
    #2Verfasser macpet (304707) 29 Sep. 16, 17:34
    Kommentar
    He's a sorehead.[dated]
    Er  spielt  die beleidigte Leberwurst

She  gets in a huff.

She is  in a huff.

s. dict.c.c.

Für mich ist das etwa gleichbedeutend mit "schmollen" (to sulk, to pout).

#3Verfasser Reinhard W. (237443) 29 Sep. 16, 17:36
    Kommentar
    Probably not quite what you're looking for, but perhaps interesting to you nonetheless:

The offended party is sometimes told to "take it with a pinch of salt".
    Which means not to take it all too seriously.

But not too much salt because somebody who is having a sulk is also sometimes told "Don't be so salty".

If others think your being offended is a bit overexaggerated you might also be told you are "making a mountain out of a molehill" or raising "a storm in a teacup".

In some contexts you might even say to the offended party "Don't be such a sourpuss" (which is translated into Griesgram, Muffel, Miesepeter by Leo).
    #4VerfasserVulthoom (1105457) 29 Sep. 16, 18:09
    Kommentar
    FWIW I've never heard "sorehead" or "butthurt" - AE?

Something with "huff" comes nearest IMO.
    #5Verfassermikefm (760309) 29 Sep. 16, 19:06
    Kommentar
    Jakob, I just saw that you have also opened up a new thread in the "New Entry" section of Leo. (Siehe auch: to be butthurt - die beleidigte Leberwurst spielen)

Quote from the "New Entry" form in Leo:
    "Please indicate definitions and/or context examples for both sides and quote the relevant source references to back up your suggestion. Suggestions which are not backed up by sufficient references will be deleted. We do not have enough staff to do the required research ourselves."

Just FYI.
    #6VerfasserVulthoom (1105457) 29 Sep. 16, 19:53
    Kommentar
    I doubt many other adults have heard of the supposed English expression, which looks like it belongs in Urban Dictionary, not in LEO. (And surely not in New Entry, unless someone could find dictionary citations and published examples.)
    #7Verfasser hm -- us (236141) 29 Sep. 16, 21:13
    Kommentar
    FWIW : Die bisherigen Einträge, die Leo hat :

to act like a prima donna | acted, acted |             die beleidigte Leberwurst spielen
    Beispiele
    She is acting like a prima donna.             Sie spielt die beleidigte Leberwurst.
    Phrasen
    to be in a huff             die beleidigte Leberwurst spielen [fig.]
    he's a sorehead             er spielt die beleidigte Leberwurst   veraltend

#8Verfasser no me bré (700807) 29 Sep. 16, 21:42
    Kommentar
    I agree with hm--us's #7.
    #9VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 29 Sep. 16, 21:50
    Kommentar
    The offended party is sometimes told to "take it with a pinch of salt".
    Which means not to take it all too seriously.

Verstehen das Andere auch so? Ich kenne das nur im Sinne von 'mit Vorsicht zu genießen', was hier ja nicht passt.
    #10Verfasser Gibson (418762) 29 Sep. 16, 21:58
    Kommentar
    Gibson, it can have either meaning.

In AE: Take it with a grain of salt.
    #11VerfasserHappyWarrior (964133) 29 Sep. 16, 22:01
    Kommentar
    My reaction to 'take it with a pinch/grain of salt' is the same as Gibson's in #10 (and neither Oxford nor Cambridge online gives the meaning under discussion in this thread).
    I have also never heard 'don't be so salty' (#4).

Nor, for the record, have I ever heard
    to be butthurt (OP),
    to be a sorehead,
    or (in this sense) to be/get (all) bent out of shape (both #1).

At least some of these expressions or usages are presumably American.
    #12VerfasserHecuba - UK (250280) 29 Sep. 16, 22:45
    Kommentar
    'Bent out of shape' meaning annoyed or offended is very common in colloquial AE; it would be okay here, at least, a lot better than the guess in the original post.

'Sorehead' isn't totally unfamiliar, but I would guess it might be more dated. I wouldn't use it myself.

There are probably several threads in the forum archive (Suche in allen Foren) on 'beleidigte Leberwurst.' The closest thing that comes to my mind at the moment is just 'to pout.'
    #13Verfasser hm -- us (236141) 29 Sep. 16, 23:29
    Kommentar
    Fwiw, google's ngram viewer shows "sorehead" was popular throughout the 20th century. There's a huge spike in the early eighties, whatever that means. Maybe it was/is more popular in California?
    #14Verfasser dude (253248) 30 Sep. 16, 00:51
    Kommentar
    I'd say something with "in a huff"...

The pinch of salt is something completely different... and sorehead might be AE - if anything
    #15Verfasser jamqueen (1129860) 30 Sep. 16, 02:52
    Kommentar
    Don't be so sensitive.
    #16Verfasser Martin--cal (272273) 30 Sep. 16, 07:50
    Kommentar
    Don't be so thin-skinned/huffy/touchy!
    or, upon display of Leberwurst-dom: "ooooo, touchy!"
    possibly: "oooo, did we step on your itsy-bitsy ego?"

IMHO, in BE you would be less inclined to describe that behaviour than to offer advice, like: "oh for pity's sake, snap out of it", "grow a pair".

both "sorehead" and "butt-hurt" sound AE to me.
    #17Verfasserlaalaa (238508) 30 Sep. 16, 08:34
    Kommentar
    I'm an adult and I've heard (and even used) "butthurt", but maybe that's because I have 20-something kids and am familiar with the lingo...

Another expression that can sometimes fit and is at least slightly less vulgar is "to get your knickers in a twist" about something, although this is generally more about getting unnecessarily upset/outraged about something trivial.
    #18Verfasser the kat (387522) 30 Sep. 16, 08:54
    Kommentar
    Beleidigte Leberwürste in BE are people who can't take a joke/are in a huff.

Other ways I've heard this in German:

Er ist ein Mimöschen.
    Sie kann nicht einstecken.

As for "butthurt" - I don't even know where to begin, so I won't.
    #19Verfasser Pipper (917363) 30 Sep. 16, 09:23
    Kommentar
    evtl. auch "to have one's nose out of joint"

#20VerfasserSchreibsler (1021303) 30 Sep. 16, 09:39
    Kommentar
    For the record (for whatever that is worth here): I have heard every single utterance that I mentioned in #4 and I also realise that not everything in #4 will be directly relevant to the query in #0. I did begin with the preamble of "Probably not quite what you're looking for, but perhaps interesting to you nonetheless" to make sure everybody knows that the things I mention in #4 are only loosely related to the query on a conceptual level.

I agree that having a source to back up a claim will always be preferable to just stating something and asking others to give me the benefit of the doubt. But with these types of colloquial utterances I find it difficult to back up my claims, so let me at least backpeddle somewhat and say: Not every colloquial utterance will be so widely known that everybody is familiar with them, some colloquial utterances are born on the internet and do not make the transition into colloquial speech, and dictionaries are often slow on the uptake of colloquial utterances (as they should be, since a lot of fads are over as soon as they've begun).

I would just like to apologise for mentioning colloquial usages that I cannot back up with a source (besides the weak claim that I've heard the things I listed and did not create or fabricate them) and also, more generally, to advise non-native speakers to be careful with colloquial utternaces. If in doubt use something that is in a modern dictionary or adopt the utternaces and phrases of your peers and by appropriately wary if you decide to introduce new-fangled words, terms or phrases into your group.

I should have mentioned that I know "To take something with a pinch of salt" with two meanings, depending on context. But let's agree to disagree on "the pinch of salt" with the meaning I explained in #4. I can only reiterate that I have heard it used to mean "don't take what XY said to heart/don't sulk", but if so many others disagree, then forum users should avoid using it in the way that I mentioned.

"Don't be so salty" (and creative variants like "that guy is one salty saltine") in colloquial usage in more than one instance, uttered by unrelated people. For context: It is something that will often be heard in the context of competitive multiplayer video games, mostly by people around the age of 20-30 (if I may take an eduacated guess). Said to people who are sore losers or people who "ragequit".

"To be butthurt" is fairly well known on the internet, you should even be able to find a "butthurt form" to print and fill out along with many instances of usage.
    (On a personal note: I also do not find the concept that funny, but "the internet" generally behaves like a 12 year old, so it should not be that surprising that this particular phrase has become fairly widespread.
    I think everybody using this forum should be able to discern all by themselves whether they want to incorporate this type of lingo into their daily lives.)

I've also never heard or seen any utternace of "sorehead" before. But that only means I haven't heard it before, that doesn't mean I would advise against using it.

I think with any colloquial utterance, you have to be prepared that somebody might not understand what you are going on about.
    #21VerfasserVulthoom (1105457) 01 Okt. 16, 13:01
    Quellen
    Here are some (hopefully somewhat) related colloquial utterances that mean "calm down!" first seen on 9GAG.com and I recently spotted some sporadic usages on Facebook
    Kommentar
    The fairly well-known phrase "calm your tits" (meaning "calm down!") has a few humourous variations that are making their rounds on the internet.

Disclaimer: I realise that utterances that mean "calm down" are not what the original query is looking for. I apologise pro forma if nobody finds it interesting, relevant or funny.
    These following utterances are to be seen as rare, used on the internet more than in colloquial speech and these utterances are directly linked to their parent phrase "calm your tits", meaning that they may not be understood if the person hearing them does not have prior knowledge of the phrase "calm your tits". Also, there will always be people who find one or the other offensive, so for goodness sake - always be careful with slang if you are not a native speaker.

Use at your own risk:

Sooth your boobs
    De-stress your breasts
    Adjust your bust before it combusts
    Hakuna your tatas
    Your honkers need to stop going bonkers
    Undo the calamity that is your mammaries
    Give that chest a rest
    Don't have a rack attack
    Mellow your melons...

Maybe some of this can at least induce a chuckle or two to make amends on all the seemingly non-relevant and/or highly debatable claims I made in #4 - I wasn't expecting so much disagreement, I really thought the colloquailisms I mentioned were all fairly well-known.
    #22VerfasserVulthoom (1105457) 01 Okt. 16, 13:57
    Kommentar
    Vulthoom, #21: I would just like to apologise for mentioning colloquial usages that I cannot back up with a source (besides the weak claim that I've heard the things I listed and did not create or fabricate them)

Speaking for myself, if I say that I have never heard something I'm not suggesting that nobody says it, and I'm certainly not implying that you are imagining it or making it up. I'm just saying that I personally have never heard it.

My nick indicates that I live in the UK, and perhaps I should add that I can only speak with regard to conventional, mainstream English. (Maybe I should have called myself 'Hecuba -- Brit of mature years'.)

Regular users of Leo have probably deduced this about me, and I think it's often helpful to see the reactions of familiar contributors, as it can help to narrow down where and in what kind of circles or age groups an expression is known. [I realise, though, that the opener of this thread is not a frequent user.]
    I would also hope that it's potentially helpful, rather than an example of negative criticism, to speculate that some expressions may represent American usage.

I don't think anyone expects everything you say to be fully documented - life's too short.
    #23VerfasserHecuba - UK (250280) 01 Okt. 16, 14:04
    Kommentar
    I'm no spring chicken either and have no interest in "internet speak".

I'm sure most people will agree that it is the sum of comments that is key. Naturally, there will be differing opinions but this is what makes this forum more helpful than others.
    #24Verfasser jamqueen (1129860) 01 Okt. 16, 18:19

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt