Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

German missing

go laterally through space

Subject

go laterally through space

Sources
    Ecosystems can move linear through time or go laterally through space.

Comment
    Ich muss einen Artikel über Ökoysteme lesen ... und dummerweise auch verstehen. Kann mir jemand bei dem Satz oben helfen?

Dass Ökosysteme sich linear durch die Zeit bewegen, verstehe ich ja noch. Aber wie gehen sie quer durch den Raum?

Herzlichen Dank im Voraus :-)
    Author J_u_l_i_a (922683) 22 Dec 17, 20:11
    Comment
    I don't entirely understand the point either, but it should surely read 'linearly' if it's an adverb modifying the verb 'move.'

I'm not sure 'move' is even quite the right word; do ecosystems really move from one place or time to another?

It might make more sense if it said that ecosystems can be measured or described according to how they change, either with regard to space (growing or shrinking, or gradually changing location as when a climate region shifts), or with regard to passing time. But even that doesn't make a lot of sense, because if they move or change, surely it has to be over time as well.

See if the biologists have any better idea -- or maybe give another sentence or two of context. If there are other mistakes as glaring as 'move linear,' it may not be written by a native speaker.
    #1Author hm -- us (236141) 22 Dec 17, 20:57
    Comment
    Ja, ich denke auch, dass die zwei drei Sätze davor und vor allem danach hier erhellend für das Verständnis sein könnten ...
    #2Author no me bré (700807) 22 Dec 17, 21:34
    Comment
    More context might help.
    It might make more sense if the text is talking about (or thinking in terms of) graphs showing
    (1) changes over time
    (2) changes as a notional observer moves though two-dimensional or three-dimensional space.
    So you can talk about how the ecosystem changes over time or how it changes as you go from Capetown to Alexandria. The notional observer "you" (and to some physicists perhaps even the verb change) is really just a device for referring to differences at different co-ordinates in spacetime.

As regards "linear through time", I agree with hm that it should really be linearly.
    With some people, I think, there is a (stronger or weaker) tendency to use phrases like this as an adverbial (where the whole phrase functions like an adverb). The idea might be that the development is linear but there is nothing that develops in a linear manner.

You could call it, er, "alternative syntax".

For some reason, it reminds me of the London expression "I didn't know of it was Tuesday or Lewisham".
    #3AuthorMikeE (236602) 23 Dec 17, 01:07
    Comment
    Der Satz ist der Schlusssatz. Davor heißt es:

"We seek out systems and circuits. Whether it is the nitrogen in a body that came from fertilizer plants or it is the genes for coding specific proteins that evolved a billion years ago."

Hilft das irgendwie weiter, um mir sagen zu können, das "go laterally through space" auf deutsch heißen könnte?

Danke schon mal vorab für jede Hilfe...
    #4Author J_u_l_i_a (922683) 23 Dec 17, 17:07

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt