Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

I do say so

Sources
    “I thought I might take you to my home and tuck you into my bed after we leave,” Asher replied, then leaned in to kiss Zach lightly. “And I do say so. I’m proud of you, Zach. That’s why I wanted you to come with me tonight. You can’t embarrass me.”
    Comment
    Hallo!

Wie ist das "and I do say so" gemeint?

Vielen Dank!
    Author Just Be (1080068) 11 Jun 18, 21:08
    SuggestionUnd das sage ich auch.
    Comment
    ... das bezieht sich auf die Einleitung "I thought I might ...", die ja zunächst nur gedacht, aber nicht ausgesprochen wurde.
    #1Author weißnix (236288) 11 Jun 18, 21:11
    Comment
    Und das/eins will ich dir (noch) sagen, ich bin stolz auf dich ...

so würde ich es zumindest verstehen (as non-BE speaker)
    #2Author dude (253248) 11 Jun 18, 21:12
    Comment
    I think this must refer to and confirm a previous statement. Something like: [cheeky statement], even if I say so myself. (…) And I do say so.
    #3Authorlaalaa (238508) 11 Jun 18, 21:58
    Comment
    I sort of read this to mean, "And I do say, I'm proud ...

I wasn't quite sure where the "so" came from or what it's doing there. But then again, like I said, I'm not a BE speaker.
    #4Author dude (253248) 11 Jun 18, 22:25
    Comment
    Die normalerweise falsche Verwendung des Hilfsverbs "to do" bei einer positiven Aussage im simple present stellt eine besondere Art der Betonung dar, etwa im Sinne von: Ich meine es wirklich so, wenn ich sage, dass ich stolz auf dich bin.
    Ich sage mit vollem Nachdruck, dass ich stolz auf dich bin.
    #5Author Chrysalis66 (1189140) 11 Jun 18, 22:27
    SuggestionMehr Kontext
    Sources
    Asher touched Zach’s chin and guided Zach to look at him directly. “You could get drunk on spiked eggnog, set their Christmas tree on fire, and vomit on their designer rug, and all I’d want to do is take you home, tuck you in, and help you recover from your hangover in the morning,” he said, his blue eyes warm and sincere.
    Asher’s expression made Zach want to melt, and he smiled again, this time without the pensive edge. “If you say so,” he murmured. “Will you promise to take me home and tuck me in even if I don’t do all those other things?”
    Comment
    Das ist der Text darüber. Dann bezieht es sich ja wahrscheinlich auf das "if you say so", oder? Das hatte ich völlig ausgeblendet ;-)

Vielen Dank!
    #6Author Just Be (1080068) 12 Jun 18, 07:21
    Comment
    The 'more context' provides the answer (thus confirming what some of us had previously assumed, as well as emphasizing the need for context).

'And I do say so' is a fairly obvious response to 'If you say so'.
    #7Author escoville (237761) 12 Jun 18, 09:14

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt