Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

Anrede von Herr in dritter Person Plural (arch.)

Subject

Anrede von Herr in dritter Person Plural (arch.)

Sources

Archaische Form der Anrede, die früher selbst gegenüber den Eltern und erwachsenen Verwandten benutzt wurde, z.B. "Was meinen Herr Vater?" "Haben Frau Mutter gut geschlafen?"

Ich suche eine gute Übersetzung für einen Satz aus der Freud/Jung-Korrespondenz:

Jung: Hier ist die Gebärmutter des Geistes, wie der Herr Urgroßvater richtig erkannt haben. (Jung hatte die Phantasie, dass Goethe sein Urgroßvater war.)

Comment

Die missglückte Übersetzung in der engl. Ausgabe (trans. Ralph Manheim und R. F. C. Hull) lautet:

"This is the matrix of the mind, as the little [sic!] great-grandfather correctly saw."

Ich schlage versuchsweise einmal vor:

"This is the womb of the spirit, as Monsieur great-grandfather correctly realized." (Oder: ... as my revered great-grandfather ...? Sir great-grandfather?)

Author Ferenczi (237228) 16 Aug 18, 11:43
    Comment

The honorific address of your father would have been “Father” (capitalised), as in: Would you join us in the library, Father?

If you were talking about him, you could have slipped in “my esteemed” or a “my dear” for good measure. “Revered”, to my ears, sounds as if he was deceased.

suggestion:

This is/Here is the matrix [as in “Mutterboden”] of the spirit, as (dear) Great-grandfather had duly recognised.

#1Authorlaalaa (238508) 16 Aug 18, 13:19
    Comment

Well, Goethe was definitely deceased when Jung wrote that.

#2Author Ferenczi (237228) 16 Aug 18, 13:26
    Comment

Point taken, but I am still unsure whether to introduce any adjective at all.

That would translate back as “der geschätze Herr Urgrossvater...”

#3Authorlaalaa (238508) 16 Aug 18, 13:52
    Comment

Simply capitalize "Great-grandfather"?

#4Author Ferenczi (237228) 16 Aug 18, 13:59

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt