It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

  • Subject



    Ich möchte einen guten Freund charakterisieren, den ich total gern habe, der mich aber immer wieder an meine Grenzen bringt bzw. sie austestet. Auf deutsch würde ich sagen: Freund und Reibefigur. Gibt's da was auf englisch?

    Author Ferenczi (237228) 10 Nov 19, 18:06

    a controversial friend

    ...mal so als erste Idee.

    Comments, please.

    #1Author Leonhard <de> (608265) 10 Nov 19, 22:47


    my very trying friend; a good friend but can be very trying

    From reiben it makes me think of an abrasive character, but that's probably too negative for Reibefigur.

    Reibefigur isn't in Duden or the DWDS or its corpus and I've never heard of it so I'm not too sure about its meaning. The nuances might be different.

    #2Author wupper (354075)  11 Nov 19, 00:12
    It might help if you first explained how you would define or paraphrase Reibefigur in German.

    I too am not sure if you mean someone with an abrasive or prickly personality, who rubs many people the wrong way, or perhaps just someone with whom you occasionally have heathy, constructive disagreements, butt heads, in which case you might try something like 'friend and occasional / frequent sparring partner.'
    #3Author hm -- us (236141) 11 Nov 19, 03:46

    "Reibefigur" ist mir jetzt auch nicht geläufig ... aber es geht wohl in diese Richtung :

     ...       sich an jdm reiben

    mit jdm immer wieder Streit suchen, bekommen

    to be at loggerheads with sb

          sich an etw. reiben [ dative ]

    sich immer wieder über etw. ärgern

    to get worked up about sth ...

    #4Author no me bré (700807) 11 Nov 19, 11:37

    Sparringpartner passt bestimmt, das sagt man auch auf Deutsch im übertragenen Sinne.

    #5Author tigger (236106) 11 Nov 19, 11:39
  automatisch zu   umgewandelt