Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

etw. über die Ohren gestülpt bekommen

Subject

etw. über die Ohren gestülpt bekommen

Sources

Wörtliches Zitat aus einer Vorlesung von C. G. Jung (1935):

“Sie wissen ja, dass diese erste Geschichte vom Paradies unseren Voreltern auch unangenehm über die Ohren gestülpt wurde.”

Comment

Mir ist dieser Ausdruck in dieser Form noch nicht "zu Ohren" gekommen. Ich kenne, dass einem etwas "um die Ohren" gehauen wird, oder dass einem etwas noch unangenehm "auf den Kopf fallen" wird. Vielleicht können da Deutschschweizer helfen? Und dann natürlich die Übersetzung. Da stehe ich im Moment an, wie man auf Österreichisch sagt. Danke für Eure Hilfe.

Author Ferenczi (237228) 25 Aug 20, 13:01
    Comment

To me, the picture is similar to a cap that is too tight and that is be forced over s.o.’s ears.

Perhaps s.th. with “to be foisted on them”

or, stronger,

”rammed down their throats”.

#1Authorlaalaa (238508)  25 Aug 20, 13:20
    Comment

I’ve never heard the expression either but second laalaa’s guess.

My own - very tentative, very provisional! – first stab:

“As you know, this first story of Paradise has been unpleasantly forced down our forebears’ throats as well.”

I’m not quite happy with it myself (always assuming the expression does mean what we think it means) because it doesn’t retain the aspect of getting blinded or blinkered. In any case, I thought I’d throw it in for discussion.

#2Authorredcranes (766941) 25 Aug 20, 13:34
    Comment

Ich kenne es nocht. Nach meinem Dafürhalten ist es nicht so stark gemeint wie in „forced down our throats“ rüberkommt.

Gibt es etwas mit „this/it was drilled into people’s heads..“

oder „they had this lesson/story drilled into their heads (until they believed it was true)“?

#3Author waltelf (1172501) 25 Aug 20, 14:53
    Comment

Wie waltelf glaube ich nicht, dass es so stark ausgedrückt werden muss wie in #1 und #2. Und auch den Vorschlag mit dem 'drill into ....' in #3 finde ich zu stark.

Für mich geht es in Richtung "etwas über sich ergehen lassen" - was ja an sich nach etwas eher Unangenehmen klingt.

Irgendwas mit 'endure'? Ist leider nicht so schön bildlich wie das Original.

#4AuthorBraunbärin (757733)  25 Aug 20, 16:43
    Comment

Just a thought out of left field:

There’s the expression “to pull the wool over somebody’s eyes,” but in this context it would only work if whoever had forced the story of … etc. on our forebears had done so with the deliberate intention to deceive.

On second thought, I also tend to agree with Waltelf on “having sth. forced down our throats” being too strong, and yes, "to have sth. drilled into your head" does exist, but to my mind, it's even stronger. (Would you rather have something stuck in your throat or a hole in your head? :-)

#5Authorredcranes (766941)  25 Aug 20, 16:45
    Comment

And another thought:

If the original expression is not a fixed phrase – and it may well not be – why try to find one in English? Why not invent something out of whole cloth? I’m thinking, e.g.:

“As you know, this first story of Paradise has been unpleasantly pulled down over our forebears’ ears as well.”

Image retained, association of tightness and coercion retained, voilà :-).

#6Authorredcranes (766941) 25 Aug 20, 16:57
    Comment

First of all, thanks to all. Second, special thanks to redcranes for #6, for the reasoning (I can well imagine Jung inventing that phrase out of whole cloth on the spur of the moment), and for the exempli gratia.

I'm thinking, "voilà."

#7Author Ferenczi (237228) 25 Aug 20, 19:20
    Comment

.. for the exempli gratia.

Das geht nun gar nicht! gratia heißt "um .. willen" bzw. "wegen", also "um eines Beispiels willen" od. "wegen eines Beispiels". Da passt kein for mehr in den Satz.

#8Author Reinhard W. (237443) 26 Aug 20, 16:27

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt