Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

color season

Sources

A realtor discussing the Georgian row houses in New Jersey built in the 19th century that there were "... surgeons from Philadelphia who keep them as country places they can hie off to with their nurse-anesthetists during the color season".

Comment

What exactly does the color season refer to? Sports? Indian Summer? Or is it another one of Richard Ford's invented terms?

Author penguin (236245) 21 Jun 21, 22:17
    Comment

Könnte die farbenfrohe Saison (Frühjahr bis Herbst) gemeint sein? (Just a wild guess.)

#1Author WittGenStein (1323045) 21 Jun 21, 22:34
    Comment

Das glaube ich nicht (Stichwort 'fall foliage'). Aber vielleicht weiß es ja einer unserer Leftpondians.

#2Author penguin (236245)  21 Jun 21, 22:37
    Comment
    My assumption when reading the sentence was that it was referring to the (fall / autumn) color season. The phrase doesn't have any special meaning for me other than that.
    #3Author patman2 (527865) 21 Jun 21, 22:55
    Comment
    I too only thought of the season of colorful autumn leaves. Though I don't understand why row houses in New Jersey, presumably in a city, would have any more trees than similar houses in the city in Philadelphia.

But maybe the point is just that that time of year is when people in the northeast typically look for destinations they can drive to on the weekends, just to get out of the city and see the countryside, even if in this case they end up in another city.

Best I can think of, sorry.
    #4Author hm -- us (236141) 22 Jun 21, 03:33
    Sources

Frank sold real estate — made a bundle, in fact — in the prosperous, leafy town of Haddam, N.J., a fictional composite of Princeton, Hopewell and Pennington. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/25/books/25fo...

Comment

Yes, a fictional New Jersey town between NYC and Philadelphia - probably not quite the countryside, but better for watching the leaves change and fall. So he does seem to mean the colour of autumn leaves.

#5Author penguin (236245) 22 Jun 21, 07:47

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt