It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

  • Forum home

    German missing

    burr (vs. blade) coffee grinder


    burr (vs. blade) coffee grinder


    Most baristas swear by their burr grinders and would never consider a cheaper metal blades grinder. But, why is that?
    Unlike standard blade grinders, burr coffee grinders can grind coffee for pretty much any purpose. This is possible due to the ability to regulate the width between the burrs into which the coffee beans fall in order to be pulverized to a consistent size.
    Achieving even ground is particularly important for espresso. No matter how good your espresso machine is, uneven grounds will inevitably cause water to channel unevenly through the coffee packed into the portafilter. This will result in over-extracting and likely burn some grounds while under-extracting the remainder.
    If you think about it, all decent espresso brewers come with built-in burr grinders, not blade ones.

    How to clean your burr coffee grinder


    I had never even heard of such a thing; I still just use a drip coffee maker with a paper filter, which I suppose is now as antiquated as a percolator, or as boiling the coffee in a pan of water over the chuckwagon campfire.

    But apparently it's been around for 10 or 15 years already, so no doubt some of you connoisseurs have heard of it, or even tried to clean one.

    Authorhm -- us (236141) 11 Aug 22, 12:48

    Man sieht auf den Fotos hier den Unterschied ganz gut:

    Die altmodischen "blades" heißen auf Deutsch wohl "Schlagmahlwerk", bei den Mühlen mit "burrs" spricht man von "Kegelmahlwerk" oder "Scheibenmahlwerk", das kommt auf die genaue Art an.

    Hier eine deutsche Seite mit mehr Infos, als man je haben will:

    #1AuthorJalapeño (236154)  11 Aug 22, 13:03

    Das ist eine Kaffeemühle mit Kegelmahlwerk *edit* wie die Pfefferschote ja bereits sagte:

    #2Authorpenguin (236245)  11 Aug 22, 13:05
    percolator – one that percolates
    (specifically :) a coffeepot in which boiling water rising through a tube is repeatedly deflected downward through a perforated basket containing ground coffee beans to extract their essence

    Coffee percolators once enjoyed great popularity but were supplanted in the early 1970s by automatic drip coffee makers.
    Thanks to you both. (-:

    If I might ask a follow-up question:

    Is the entry for

    percolator – Kaffeemaschine

    really right?

    Kaffeemaschine I would just translate as '(drip) coffee maker,' but 'percolator' is several decades older, basically an electric coffeepot that was plugged in, with a metal filter atop a metal tube.

    #3Authorhm -- us (236141) 11 Aug 22, 13:16

    Isn't that something like a Bialetti? They come in stove-top and in electric variants.

    #4Authorpenguin (236245) 11 Aug 22, 13:19

    re #3 : die werden im Deutschen einfach Perkolator genannt ... hin und wieder hab' ich dafür auch schon (in einem privaten Umfeld) Kaffeebereiter gehört ... die sind aber mE. eher selten geworden ...

    ... Perkolator

    Die Perkolation ist auch heute noch eine häufig verwendete Methode zur Kaffeezubereitung. Das Wort leite sich vom lateinischen Verb percolare „durchseihen, durchsickern lassen“ ab.[1] ...

    #5Authorno me bré (700807)  11 Aug 22, 13:24
    Suggestionblade grinder --> Schlagmahlwerk; Conical burr grinder --> Kegelmahlwerk; Flat burr grinder --> Scheibenmahlwerk

    Welches Mahlwerk ist das Beste bei Kaffeemühlen? - Küchenfinder (

    1. Schlagmahlwerke

    Schlagmahlwerke oder Propellermahlwerke[...] Hacken ist ein gutes Stichwort: Genau das tut das Schlagmesser, das bei diesem Mahlwerk wie ein Propeller um die eigene Achse dreht, auch mit den Kaffeebohnen. 

    2. Scheibenmahlwerke

    Scheibenmahlwerke mahlen mit zwei aufeinander liegenden Scheiben, meist aus Stahl in lebensmittelechten Legierungen. Die Kaffeebohnen werden während des Mahlens immer weiter nach außen befördert und dabei immer stärker zerkleinert, bis das Kaffeemehl herausgeschleudert und im Auffangbehälter versammelt wird

    3. Kegelmahlwerke

    Kegelmahlwerke funktionieren ähnlich wie Scheibenmahlwerke, bestehen aber aus zwei ineinandergreifenden, senkrecht ausgerichteten Stahl-Kegeln. Da das Kaffeemehl nicht durch Zentrifugalkraft bewegt werden muss, sondern durch Bauart und Erdanziehungskraft nach unten fällt, wird zum Mahlen keine so hohe Motorleistung/Drehzahl benötigt wie beim Scheibenmahlwerk

    4. Walzenmahlwerke

    Walzenmahlwerke oder Langsammahlwerke arbeiten mit zwei langsam drehenden, gerillten Walzen, die den Kaffee eher zerdrücken als zerreiben. Der Kaffee wird beim Mahlen kaum erwärmt, das Aroma wird bei diesem Prinzip wohl am besten erhalten. Leider gibt es noch kaum Modelle mit diesen teuren Mahlwerken, die für den Endverbraucher geeignet sind.

    Roller grinders: should coffee roasters invest in them? (

    What is a roller grinder?

    Roller grinders are a specialist type of equipment which grind coffee beans by passing them through a series of rotating steel cylinders. 

    These cylinders work in pairs and rotate so their movement is directed at the centre of the machine.


    So wie ich das verstehe entspricht das Schlagmahlwerk dem blade grinder, Scheiben und und Kegelmahlwerk sind beides burr grinder. Walzmahlwerke sind eventuell roller grinder?

    #6AuthorChetara (616991) 11 Aug 22, 13:27
    Re pengu #4: Um ... I suppose it might be similar in some respects, but those designer models seem much fancier, and more oriented to espresso, as opposed to just what someone might have had in the kitchen for a pot of coffee, in, say, the late 60s or early 70s.

    Sorry if this is all too OT, but I was just curious.


    Thanks also for the additional examples and comments.

    Chetara, your wonderfully detailed overview may be so comprehensive that none of us can confirm or disprove it -- because who really has more than their own coffee method at home?

    But maybe there again, I'm just behind the times.

    #7Authorhm -- us (236141)  11 Aug 22, 13:33

    The Bialetti is the archetypal Italian coffeemaker, just as the Hoover is the archetypal floor cleaning device. Nothing designer about it. I had never come across a percolator before, not even in the USA in the 1970s.

    #8Authorpenguin (236245) 11 Aug 22, 13:56
    Re #8, interesting. Maybe your family moved in more exalted / European circles?

    If anyone wanted to see our family coffeepot of that era, I can only suggest

    CorningWare + coffeepot + percolator

    It was a white CorningWare ceramic (?) pot with a pale-blue snowflake, like the casseroles. Maybe it was even a little archetypal on this side of the pond?
    #9Authorhm -- us (236141)  11 Aug 22, 14:22

    Re #9: I remember those!

    It appears that the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Corning decided that they should all be taken out of use back in 1979 because the epoxy that holds the handle and metal band could dry out and break, leading to possible burns for the users. (I don't know if Corning re-engineered them and brought them back on the market after that.)

    It looks like there are still other brands of percolators sold. Target has a number of them on their site.

    There were also electric percolators in use. My family had an aluminum percolator that we used for coffee while camping that was heated on the Coleman stove.

    Re #8: Most everyone in my extended family had switched to drip coffeemakers by the '70s, so it's possible that you didn't come across a percolator, at least in people's homes.

    #10Authorhbberlin (420040) 11 Aug 22, 14:42

    still OT:

    a non-corningware percolator found on Etsy:

    I found an aluminum non-electric one (use on stove-top) when clearing out my mother's house. It makes really quite tasty coffee, with ground coffee.

    #11AuthorRES-can (330291) 11 Aug 22, 14:55
  • Pinyin
  • Keyboard
  • Special characters
  • Lautschrift
:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt