Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

German missing

an indictment of annual grains, of agriculture itself

Subject

an indictment of annual grains, of agriculture itself

Sources

"With my spine problems, there could be no digging, no lifting, not much physical labor at all. But that was okay. I immediately researche permaculture. ...There would be no tilling, no bare soil, no double digging. The realization that the rationale behind these techniques was really an indictment of annual grains--of agriculture itself--I left for another day"

Kann jemand mir erklären, was gemeint ist damit, dass pflügen und umgraben (tilling and double digging) "eine Anklage gegen jährliches Getreides und die Landwirtschaft selbst" sind?

Authorvnoetsjka (398946) 03 Sep 22, 14:28
    Comment

Your author realizes later that the rationale behind those techniques, which are at best only with difficulty sustainable [the rationale: boosting production without due care for soils / environment], amounts to a condemnation of annual grains agriculture as such (apparently 70% of worldwide grain production today). "indictment" here in the sense of "condemnation" (Armutszeugnis in this context maybe), not "accusation."

(I confess I had to go to your source to understand this—followed by a little research on "annual grains" as against, e.g., "perennial grains". The material in your OP, on its own, wasn't enough.)

#1AuthorBion (1092007)  03 Sep 22, 16:09
    Comment

Danke, Bion. Im weiteren Verlauf des Buchs geht die Autorin darauf ein, wie destruktiv die menschliche Landwirtschaft für Ökosysteme ist. Dieser Auszug am Anfang ergibt beim Weiterlesen mehr Sinn.

As the book progresses, the author explains in detail how destructive human agriculture is to ecosystems. The excerpt at the beginning makes more sense to me re-reading it now armed with the knowledge given later on in the book.

#2Authorvnoetsjka (398946) 06 Sep 22, 23:11

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt