Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

metastatic - metastasized

[med.]
    Sources

Hallo,

ich würde gerne wissen, ob es einen Bedeutungsunterschied zwischen metastatisch und metastasiert, also z. B. zwischen metastatischem und metastasiertem Lungenkrebs, gibt.

Schonmal vielen Dank!

Authorn-immermüd (237827) 16 Sep 22, 10:44
    Comment

Oxford Languages sagt mir:

me·ta·s·ta·tisch

(von Tumoren o. Ä.) durch Metastase entstanden

me·ta·s·ta·sie·rend

Metastasen bildend

Bestimmt weiß Marianne (BE) dazu noch mehr (oder gar Anderes, ich bin keine Ärztin). Die Frage wäre IMO besser für's Sprachlabor geeignet oder ganz allgemein für eine Suchmaschine deiner Wahl.

#1Author karla13 (1364913)  16 Sep 22, 11:13
    Comment

My 2p FWIW:

Metastatic cancer is cancer that has metastasised/metastasized (spread away from the original tumour).

Metastatic is an adjective. Metastasised/metastasized is the past participle of the verb (to metastasise/metastasize) that is sometimes also used as an adjective.

They basically mean the same thing but I would say there is a slight difference in usage.

As a general rule, I would use “metastatic” in technical scientific/medical texts, e.g. “metastatic bladder/breast/prostate/renal cancer” “metastatic sarcoma” or “metastatic cancer in the lungs”.

I might use “metastasised cancer” if I wanted to emphasise the metastases themselves rather than the type of cancer, or if I was aiming at a lay readership, e.g.: “If you have previously been diagnosed with breast cancer, the biology of the original breast cancer will be compared to the biology of the new metastasized cancer identified in the distant organ.”

https://www.uchealth.com/en/conditions/metast...

There are plenty of reputable sources where you can check out how “metastasized cancer” is used. As in the link above, many of them are intended for a lay readership:

"Understanding Metastasized Cancer"

https://news.cuanschutz.edu/cancer-center/und...

#2Author Marianne (BE) (237471)  16 Sep 22, 17:11
    Comment

Thank you very much for your help, karla13 and Marianne 🙂

#3Authorn-immermüd (237827) 25 Sep 22, 16:23
    Comment

As a cell biologist, I can see a difference but I am not sure if I can explain it. Metastatic means "related to metastasis". Metastasis is a mechanism, just like apoptosis (programmed cell death) or senescence (cell aging).

Something has metastasized when it has built metastases, which are distant tumors (the primary site of cancer development is called the primary tumor and metastasized tumors are called secondary tumors).

Sometimes, you can use both, typically a metastatic/metastasized cancer but other times you cannot. For example, one can investigate the metastatic potential of certain cells in culture, in this case you are analyzing an event at the cellular level, so we are not talking about distant tumors and using metastasized makes no sense here!

I guess the sense given to these words can be slightly different in medicine and in biology because we work at different levels (body/organ versus tissue/cell) and the process of metastasis can be observed at these different levels. I hope I could help give you a better view of their exact meanings.

Wenn es auf E nicht ganz klar ist, kann ich das auch auf D erklären, bei Bedarf 🙂

#4Author Grossbouff (465598)  26 Sep 22, 10:29

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt