Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Englisch gesucht

grope for an explanation (meaning)

Betreff

grope for an explanation (meaning)

Quellen

GEORGE: Emily, would you like an ice-cream soda, or something, before you go home?

EMILY: Well, thank you. ....I would.

(They come into the drugstore and seat themselves on the stools.)

STAGE MANAGER (as MR. MORGAN): Hello, George. Hello Emily. What'll you have? Why, Emily Webb, what've you been crying about?

GEORGE (He gropes for an explanation.): She ... she just got an awful scare, Mr. Morgan. She almost got run over by that hardware store wagon. Everybody always says that Tom Huckins drives like a crazy man.

(Thornton Wilder, Our Town)

Hello, there

Kommentar

Please, what does gropes for mean in this context? I think it means something like he looks for - but what is the distinction? Can I use look for instead in this context? Your help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  28 Nov. 22, 13:37
    Kommentar
    #1Verfasser buttermaker (826321) 28 Nov. 22, 13:39
    Kommentar

Or, easily found in Merriam-Webster, including an example sentence that uses it almost in the same way!

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grope

keeblerelf, do you even try to do your own research?

#2Verfasser hbberlin (420040) 28 Nov. 22, 13:47
    Kommentar
    #3Verfasser no me bré (700807) 28 Nov. 22, 13:59
    Kommentar

@ #2: keeblerelf, do you even try to do your own research?

Yes, hbberlin, I do so.

But you didn't answer the whole query. What's the distinction between between grope for and look for and can I use look for instead in this context without changing the meaning? What does grope for express in this context? Please help. Thank you.

#4Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  28 Nov. 22, 14:00
    Kommentar

grope

search uncertainly for (a word or answer) in one's mind.

"she was groping for the words which would express what she thought"

grope for something

to try hard to find the right words to say or the right solution to a problem but without any real idea of how to do this

She hesitated, seeming to grope for words.

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/grope-...

to look for something blindly or uncertainly

grope for the right words

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/grope

look for somebody/something

1 to try to find something that you have lost, or someone who is not where they should be

SYN search for

I’m looking for Steve – have you seen him?

Detectives are still looking for the escaped prisoner.

https://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/look-for

#5Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 28 Nov. 22, 14:06
    Kommentar

Verstehst du die englischen Definitionen?

Wenn ja, müsste es eigentlich klar sein.

#6Verfasser penguin (236245) 28 Nov. 22, 14:07
    Kommentar
    If you read the links supplied by others and are unable to work out what „to grope for“ means and whether it means exactly the same as „to look for“, I doubt any explanation given by us will be understood by you…
    #7Verfasser Dragon (238202) 28 Nov. 22, 14:08
    Kommentar

Dragon, es bringt wirklich nichts.

#8Verfasser penguin (236245) 28 Nov. 22, 14:09
    Kommentar
    Das wollte ich mit #7 zum Ausdruck bringen…
    #9Verfasser Dragon (238202) 28 Nov. 22, 14:11
    Kommentar

@ #5: Thank you very much.

In this context I'd go for....

grope for something

to try hard to find the right words to say or the right solution to a problem but without any real idea of how to do this

....or am I wrong ? In this case I would even think of try frantically to find the right words.

That's my problem, actually - there are many possibilities - but what meaning fits the context?!

#10Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  28 Nov. 22, 14:45
    Kommentar

what meaning fits the context?

The ones in #5 fit this context.

Do you know what "grope for something" means literally? Imagine someone doing that, but the thing they are trying to find is words. Here's a picture to help you visualise it.

#11Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 28 Nov. 22, 16:04
    Kommentar

@ #11 and #10/#5: 

#11:The ones in #5 fit this context.

#10: In this context I'd go for....

grope for something

to try hard to find the right words to say or the right solution to a problem but without any real idea of how to do this

....or am I wrong ? In this case I would even think of try frantically to find the right words.

That's my problem, actually - there are many possibilities - but what meaning fits the context?!

Thank you very much for your reply. (#5)There are several different meanings given in #5. Do you think all those meanings fit the context or do you think one of them fits best? I think you have to opt for one of them.

#12Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  28 Nov. 22, 18:56
    Kommentar

#12 The definitions of "grope for something" in #5 are all describing the same meaning. I selected them specially for you :)

So do you get what "grope for something" means literally? Can you see the connection to the figurative meaning?

#13Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 28 Nov. 22, 19:59
    Kommentar

@ #13: Once again, thank you very much for your post #5 and I also see the connection to the figurative meaning. But in my opinion and in my understanding and judgement there are different meanings of grope for in your post #5. Of course, as a non-native speaker have to accept your statement. Thank you very much indeed.

And thank you all for helping me.

#14Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  28 Nov. 22, 20:29
    Kommentar

I guess you'd have to say what you thought the difference was for me to understand what you meant.

#15Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 28 Nov. 22, 20:38
    Kommentar

All right then: I'd say that blindly and uncertainly are different from hard. Blindly and uncertainly express uncertainty and helplessness in my opinion. Hard expresses something that's difficult to do or the like. Therefore, I'd prefer try hard or, as I've said, try frantically in this context. But, for certain, this is a German feeling or impression I get reading this text.

Thank you.

#16Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  28 Nov. 22, 21:00
    Kommentar

Du hast bei "try hard" in #5 den hinteren, von CM2DD extra auch gefetteten Teil vergessen.

"try hard but without any real idea of how to do this" - da steckt die von dir vermisste Unsicherheit und Hilflosigkeit.

#17Verfasser Jalapeño (236154) 28 Nov. 22, 21:19
    Kommentar

Nevertheless, I'd say there is a distinction. Maybe, try desperately or frantically fits best here.

#18Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  29 Nov. 22, 00:09
    Kommentar

I give up.

#19Verfasser hbberlin (420040) 29 Nov. 22, 09:45
    Kommentar

The definitions in #5 are all definitions of the same meaning of "grope for something", as you can see from the fact that they use the same example phrase "grope for words".

Let's say I am trying to understand the term "idiotensicher" in German, in the phrase "eine idiotensichere Formulierung".

I look it up in various dictionaries and I find:

- leicht verständlich, sodass nichts falsch gemacht werden kann. https://de.wiktionary.org/wiki/idiotensicher

- so, dass nichts falsch gemacht werden kann, dass es jeder versteht https://www.dwds.de/wb/idiotensicher

- so beschaffen, dass bei der Handhabung o. Ä. kaum etwas falsch gemacht werden kann https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/idiotensicher

"Leicht verständlich" does not mean the same thing as "So, dass es jeder versteht". And the third definition doesn't mention people understanding it at all.

So can I rephrase "idiotensicher" as "hoffentlich gut zu verstehen"?

#20Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 29 Nov. 22, 10:26
    Kommentar

Thank you. Yes, I know what you mean. You want to say Hoffentlich ist es gut zu verstehen or ...gut verständlich? Idiotensicher is different from hoffentlich gut zu verstehen in this context. In some respect, it has a slightly derogatory meaning in this context here. Thank you once again: I'm a bit slow-witted, I'm afraid, but I understand it now - thank you.

#21Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  29 Nov. 22, 11:02
    Kommentar

You're welcome.

#22Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 29 Nov. 22, 11:14

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt