Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

I'll run for something to get elected

Subject

I'll run for something to get elected

Sources

GEORGE: No, you stick to it, Emily. I'm glad you spoke to me like you did.

But you'll see: I'm going to change so quick - you bet I'm going to change.

And, Emily, I want to ask you a favour.

EMILY: What?

GEORGE: Emily, if I go away to State Agriculture College next year, will you write me a letter once in a while?

Emily: I certainly will. I certainly will, George. ...(Pause) It certainly seems like being away three years you'd get out of touch with things.

GEORGE: No, no. I mustn't do that. You see I'm not only going to be just a farmer. After a while maybe I'll run for something to get elected. So your letters'll be very important to me; you know, telling me what's going on here and everything ...

(Thornton Wilder, Our Town)

Comment

Hello,

What do you think George would run for to get elected? Do you think he want to become a senator or a member of the House of Representatives? I don't get any idea. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Authorkeeblerelf (908281)  28 Nov 22, 19:28
    Suggestion"ich werde mich zur Wahl stellen für irgendein Amt"
    Sources

As printed in both 1938 versions, the identity of the future “good Governor for New Hampshire” is left ambiguous, so that it could refer to the position that Emily dreams of filling herself. Talking to Emily in an earlier scene about his hopes for some type of election, George does not specify what office he might seek, saying, “You see I’m not only going to be farmer. After a while maybe I’ll run for something to get elected” (Our Town 1938a, 77). Whether the potential governor is George or Emily, Emily’s “trying to make another good Governor” fulfills in part Emily Webb’s wishes to make speeches, echoing Emily Dickinson’s desire for full participation in political conventions and the electoral process

Our tears: Thornton Wilder's reception and Americanization of the Latin and Greek classics

Rojcewicz, Stephen J.

 University of Maryland, College Park ProQuest Dissertations Publishing, 2017.

https://www.proquest.com/openview/2a353f0e54c...

Comment

In den USA gibt es alle möglichen Ämter, die gewählt werden, neben Governor, Representative, Senator, President auch die lokalen Mayors, Sheriffs usw. Eine unvollständige Liste z.B. dort:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._st...

https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

Ob hier an der zitierten Stelle bei Thornton Wilder ein ganz bestimmtes Amt gemeint ist (Governor?), weiß ich nicht, da ich den weiteren Kontext nicht kenne.

Falls das die Frage war.

#1Author mad (239053)  28 Nov 22, 19:48
    Comment

Woher sollen wir das wissen? Du liest das Stück und vielleicht löst Thonton Wilder das etliche Seiten später auf.

Aber wenn Du noch ein paar Möglichkeiten brauchst:

"President of the local riffle association" oder

"Chairman of the Farmers Club" oder

suche Dir etwas anderes aus. Beachte aber, dass es manches in Amerika der 1930er-Jahre noch nicht gab.

#2Author WH-BY (237148)  28 Nov 22, 19:53
    Comment

Es kann natürlich so sein, dass sein Wunsch eigentlich auf einen eher persönlichen Kontakt zu Emily zielt.

Aber falls das so ist, verbirgt er das gut.

"You see I'm not only going to be just a farmer" Das bedeutet wohl, dass er seinen Lebensmittelpunkt nach der Ausbildung wieder in der Kleinstadt sieht. Vielleicht ist er künfiger Hoferbe?

". I mustn't do that." / "ich darf den Kontakt nicht verlieren". Auch das spricht für eine dauerhafte Rückkehr.

In der Kleinstadt kämen als Ämter vielleicht Stadtrat und später Bürgermeister in Frage. Sheriff oder District Attorney passen wohl weniger.

#3Author Harald (dede) [de] (370386)  28 Nov 22, 20:00
    Comment

Variante zu #1 : ... ich lasse mich aufstellen und in irgendein Amt wählen ...

#4Author no me bré (700807) 28 Nov 22, 20:06

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt