Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Übersicht

Englisch gesucht

Partial (Italicized) Differential Equations (meaning)

Betreff

Partial (Italicized) Differential Equations (meaning)

Quellen

She can barely answer, she feels such gratitude. Also a disastrous pressure of tears. Weeping in public is something he finds despicable. (He does not think he should have to put up with it in private either.)

She manages to reabsorb her tears, and as if to reward her when they reach Cannes, he folds her into his capacious well-cut garments with their smell of manliness - some mixture of fur-bearing animals and expensive tobacco. He kisses her with decorum but with a small flick of his tongue along her lips, a reminder of private appetites.

She has not, of course, reminded him that her work was on the Theory of Partial Differential Equations, and that it was completed some time ago. she spends the first hour or so of her solitary journey as she usually spends some time after parting from him -balancing signs of affection against those of impatience, and indifference against a certain qualified passion.

(From Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro)

Kommentar

Hello everyone,

I know what's meant by Partial Differential Equations (certainly don't know how to solve them I'm afraid :)). But I don't know why the word Partial is italicized in this context. What does that italicized word mean here? Is it a hint of how difficult it is to solve those Partial Differential Equations? Thank you very much for helping.

(Please post in English)

Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  05 Dez. 22, 13:53
    Quellen

The weather is warmer at Nice, a few days later, when he takes her to board her train.

“How can I go, how can I leave this soft air?”

“Ah, but your desk and your differential equations will be waiting. In the spring you won’t be able to tear yourself away.”

“Do you think not?”

Kommentar

This is the paragraph before. He calls them "differential equations". He's got it wrong. She does not correct him out loud,

#1Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 05 Dez. 22, 14:20
    Kommentar

@keeblerelf: Please use the forum "Sprachlabor / Language lab" below for your enquiries relating to the meaning of English expressions. This is the forum for the English translation of German terms.

#2VerfasserRominara (1294573) 05 Dez. 22, 14:29
    Kommentar

@ #2: OK; yes, I see. I've clicked the info-button now for more information. You are right. Thank you very much.

#3Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  05 Dez. 22, 14:46
    Kommentar

To say it explicitly: "Partial" is italicized to show emphasis here.

#4Verfasser hbberlin (420040) 05 Dez. 22, 16:17
    Kommentar

@ #1 and #4

Thank you very much to both of you.

@ #1: Hello CM2DD, it seems to me you know the story - that's fine :). When reading the first seven pages I have got the impression that the relationship between Sophia and Maxsim Kovalevski is clouded by uncertainty and doubting. So I suspect emphasizing the word Partial by the authoress not only expresses the correction of 'differential equations' mentioned earlier but also the fact that Sophia on no account wants to touch words like partial, partly, part - in the end. She avoids those words deliberately. Maybe the following text will clarify things.

#5Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281)  05 Dez. 22, 23:09
    Kommentar

OT:

There's really no need to use the term "authoress" to describe a female author. It can easily be considered both outdated and negative (see LEO's entry for "authoress". "Author" suffices in almost all cases. If it is deemed necessary to emphasize the gender of the author, "female (or woman) author" can be used.

On a related matter, while "actress" is still used at times and doesn't have the negative tone of "actress," "actor" is commonly used for both males and females.

#6Verfasser hbberlin (420040) 06 Dez. 22, 10:30
    Quellen

When reading the first seven pages, I got the impression...

From reading the first seven pages I have got the impression...

Kommentar

I don't know the story. I just used Google to find out what the emphasis on "partial" meant. Context was required.

Agree with #6 on "authoress" - "woman/female author" is better, and then only if you would also say "man/male author" in a similar context.

#7Verfasser CM2DD (236324) 06 Dez. 22, 10:40
    Kommentar

Thank you very much to all who answered. I appreciate the information 🙂.

#8Verfasserkeeblerelf (908281) 06 Dez. 22, 23:52

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt