Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betreff

sich miteinander arrangieren

Quellen

Hallo,

Wie könnte man diesen Satz am besten ins Englische übersetzen?

"Anfangs gab es immer wieder Konflikte innerhalb der WG (Wohngemeinschaft), aber schließlich hatte man sich irgendwie miteinander arrangiert."

Der Google-Übersetzer schlägt vor:

"At first there were always conflicts within the flat share, but then they somehow managed to come to terms with each other."

Wäre das so richtig, würde man das im Englischen so sagen?

Vielen Dank im Voraus für Antworten.

Verfasser Malso (1145746) 06 Dez. 22, 16:44
    Kommentar

Kommt mir brauchbar vor.

Andere Möglichkeit: they found a modus operandi.

Siehe auch: zusammenraufen.

#1Verfasser mbshu (874725)  06 Dez. 22, 17:03
    Quellen

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/e...

to gradually accept a sad situation, often the death of someone you love:

think he's still coming to terms with the death of his wife.

decision or arrangement that has been made and accepted by two or more peoplegroupsorganizations, etc.:

arrive at/come to/reach an agreement Despite recent discussions between the two companies, they failed to reach an agreement on the terms of a possible merger.

to become more familiar with a new situation:

I can't adjust to living on my own.

Her eyes slowly adjusted to the dark.

The lifestyle is so very different - it takes a while to adjust.

Kommentar

For sich arrangieren, Leo gives Siehe Wörterbuch: sich arrangieren:

1 to adjust

2 to come to an agreement with someone, or

3 to come to terms with something

To adjust means 'to get used to a situation'. 'I struggled with the time difference to begin with, but now my body clock has adjusted'.

To come to an agreement with someone means you've made a (semi-)formal agreement with someone about something in particular. In a flatshare/shared house situation, you might say 'Linda wasn't doing her fair share of the housework, but we've come to an agreement and she's going to clean the bathrooms every week'.

To come to terms with something means 'to learn to accept some sad situation' ('she still hasn't come to terms with the breakup', 'he's slowly coming to terms with her death')

#2Verfasser papousek (343122)  06 Dez. 22, 17:11
    Kommentar

...hit send by accident (and it was already quite long, so I'll start a new post)

I'm not entirely happy with Google's 'come to terms with SOMEONE', because ordinarily you 'come to terms with SOMETHING' (= sad situation).

It is possible to 'come to terms with someone', but it suggests a VERY formal discussion and agreement: 'we sat down and came to terms'. You 'come to terms' in a board meeting or a courtroom, not a simple flatshare!

Here are some suggestions:

...they learned to get on/along with one another

...they learned to live alongside one another

...they managed to adjust to living with one another/with other people

...they managed to adjust to living in a flatshare

...they began to get used to living with one another

#3Verfasser papousek (343122) 06 Dez. 22, 17:19
    Kommentar

--or maybe take it from a different angle: "to iron out differences"

"At first there was continual conflict ..., but in the end they somehow ironed out their differences."

(I'm not keen on the machine translation in the OP, either. And even if people can come to terms with each other, it doesn't read very idiomatically in this context, I would say.)

#4VerfasserBion (1092007)  06 Dez. 22, 18:19
    Kommentar

I like #4's "ironed out their differences". "They came to terms with the new situation" or "they adjusted to the new situation" also work for me.

#5Verfasser FernSchreiber (1341928) 07 Dez. 22, 09:02
    Kommentar

Danke an alle für die Antworten. Thank you everybody.

#6Verfasser Malso (1145746) 11 Dez. 22, 03:30
    Kommentar

Collinsdict. schlägt vor:

sich arrangieren

sich mit jdm arrangieren - to come to an arrangement with sb

sich mit etw arrangieren - to come to terms with sth

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/...

#7Verfasser MiMo (236780)  11 Dez. 22, 03:49
    Kommentar

#7: siehe #4:

And even if people can come to terms with each other, it doesn't read very idiomatically in this context, I would say.

Und siehe auch papouseks ##2+3

#8Verfasser penguin (236245)  11 Dez. 22, 09:32
    Kommentar

I note re: #3 that 'come to terms with' is formal only when it refers to someone, and not something. To 'agree upon terms' is formal, and there is an archaic sense in which 'I have come to terms with him' is formal, but 'he managed to come to terms with it' is quite casual in contemporary AE. But 'flatshare' is extremely BE.

Plural "conflicts" in this situation sounds a bit Global English or stilted, though; the more idiomatic tendency in an informal context like this would be to use it as a non-count: "At first, there was a lot of conflict."

"At first things were pretty tense in the apartment, but eventually they all found a way to make it work/ eventually they all managed to make it work" is a pretty idiomatic rendering, although it leaves out that it's a WG and presumably that the conflict is among roommates (and because they're roommates).

#9Verfasser Lonelobo (595126)  12 Dez. 22, 10:30
    Kommentar

I note re: #3 that 'come to terms with' is formal only when it refers to someone, and not something. To 'agree upon terms' is formal, and there is an archaic sense in which 'I have come to terms with him' is formal, but 'he managed to come to terms with it' is quite casual in contemporary AE. But 'flatshare' is extremely BE.

I don't disagree with a word you say there, even for BE -- and I don't think my #2 or #3 said otherwise. To come to terms with SOMETHING is extremely common; to come to terms with SOMEONE on the other hand is much less common, and very formal. Which is why I don't like Google's translation in #0.

Found a way to make it work is another good suggestion.

#10Verfasser papousek (343122) 12 Dez. 22, 11:51
    Kommentar

My problem with many of the suggestions is that they sound quite positive: in the end, it was fine. But "sich irgendwie arrangieren" is not; it means - at least in my understanding - they stopped fighting all the time, but nobody is really that happy with the situation. It's peace through lack of choice (because otherwise they'd have to leave and find something else), not because they agreed with each other and found a way that's great for everybody.

To me, "...they learned to live alongside one another" sounds the least happy end-ish, so I'd probably go for that, or a variation of it. Would you agree, or am I misreading the English nuances?

#11Verfasser Gibson (418762) 12 Dez. 22, 14:22
    Quellen

to accept a difficult or unpleasant situation:

I can't change the situation so I'm going to have to learn to live with it.

Kommentar

Maybe that's where Google (#0) and Collins (#7) are getting their 'coming to terms with someone' from: taking the essence of the meaning of 'coming to terms with something' (= learning to accept and live with a bad situation) and applying it to personal relationships.

To make the best of a bad situation is probably still too positive, although it does at least imply that while things have been resolved, they've been resolved somewhat unsatisfactorily. Perhaps something with to live with/to learn to live with or even to learn to co-exist.

...in the end they learned to live with one another

...in the end they learned to co-exist

...eventually they adjusted to living with one another

#12Verfasser papousek (343122) 12 Dez. 22, 15:13

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt