Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

Funktions-

[textil.]
    Context/ examples
    Funktionssporthose / Funktionssportjacke / Funktionssportshirt / Funktionssocken / Funktionslaufsocken / ...
    Comment
    Tchibo in particular seem to have this obsession with every item that you can wear being a "Funktions-XXXX". Just what the heck do they mean by this? Multi-purpose? Multi-funktional? How can a pair of socks be multi-functional? Or is it just a trend prefix that you can happily ignore?
    Authorrich04 Mar 04, 10:26
    Suggestionfunctional (clothing)
    Comment
    I don't know if the term is strictly defined or protected but I would expect functional clothing to have a synthetic inner layer that provides thermal insulation and transports perspiration, and an outer cotton layer that absorbs perspiration.

I _think_ "functional" refers to the specific functions of clothing: transport of perspiration away from the skin and thermal regulation/insulation.
    #1AuthorMike E.04 Mar 04, 13:17
    Suggestion"performance"
    Sources
    www.tchibo.co.uk
    Comment
    Thanks for your suggestion, Mike. I think you're on the right lines in terms of it being clothing that transports perspiration away from your body (although don't all items of clothing do this to a certain extent...?).

I had the bright idea of looking up the tchibo.co.uk website and there they call them "performance sports shirt", "performance socks", etc. So now we know. :-)
    #2Authorrich04 Mar 04, 13:56
    Suggestionthermal und/oder breathable (je nach Zusammenhang)
    Sources

breathable sports trousers / breathable sports jacket / breathable sports shirt / breathable socks / breathable running socks

Comment

translation of "Funktions-" depends on context

in your example with "sport articles" the emphasis is probably on "breathable" (in diesem Fall wird mit "Funktion" wahrscheinlich atmungsaktiv gemeint)

in other contexts, such as working outdoors or mountaineering/winter sports the emphasis will be on thermal insulation qualities so the correct translation of "Funktions-" would then be thermal

#3Author charles simmonds (1312768)  04 Dec 22, 18:21
    Comment

breathable sports trousers etc. ?

#4Author no me bré (700807) 04 Dec 22, 18:55

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt