Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

Bekannte(r)

Context/ examples
    - Ist das eine Freundin von dir?
    - Nein, nur eine Bekannte.
    Comment
    I'm looking for a word other than "friend". I want to say that I hang out with this person sometimes, but I don't call her a friend, which is important in this case, because although I spend time with her sometimes, I don't want to call her a friend, because she doesn't deserve that. But I do not want to insult her. I just want to stress that I can't rely on her. That's where the "nur" comes from. Leo's translations sounds a bit formal to me, it doesn't do it. Thanks for your help :-)
    AuthorJudith22 Oct 06, 01:00
    Comment
    Have you checked LEO? Below the results, you'll find a long list of threads containing "Bekannte". You can also search the forum for it ( https://tdict.leo.org/forum/searchForums.php?... ). A number of previous discussions should answer your question.
    #1AuthorCleaner (242538) 22 Oct 06, 02:38
    Comment
    Well, yeah, I have checked LEO. But I said that already. That's why I was asking if there is a less formal word for that. And I have a very specific context here, so the other discussions are not really helpful in my case.

You know, cleaner, if you don't want to answer, just don't, okay? I don't know where all this hostility comes from, but it starts to get annoying.
    #2AuthorJudith22 Oct 06, 21:13
    Comment
    There is no other single word for it; in fact, "acquaintance" is your best bet for an informal way to express briefly what you've said. Otherwise, you would simply have to describe as you did.

Beyond that, you're clearly overreacting to Cleaner's post. They were merely suggesting you check out the forum search and whatnot to see if someone had already supplied an already sufficient answer. I doubt there was any hostility intended.
    #3AuthorCharlie23 Oct 06, 04:17
    Comment
    What you could do is something kind of descriptive, like this:
    - Is this a friend of yours?
    - No, just someone I know.
    or:
    - Not really, we just hang out every once in a while.

But I agree with the other posters that there doesn't seem to be an alternative to "acquaintance".

(Also, Americans in particular use the word "friend" much more liberally than Europeans: everybody is a "friend", it doesn't have to mean that you're very close.)
    #4Authorwump23 Oct 06, 04:43
    Comment
    Thank you, guys. You helped me a lot.
    #5AuthorJudith23 Oct 06, 20:11
    Comment
    Judith, I feel offended by your tone. Either you want help or you don't. For your information, I have skimmed the results before I posted here, and there was indeed at least one poster who was looking for a less formal word than "acquaintances", which is -- judging from your original posting -- very much what you were looking for. Not every user knows about what used to be the archive and many are happy to get some direction. You are obviously not.

I am sorry for trying to help you. Rest assured, it won't happen again.
    #6AuthorCleaner (242538) 24 Oct 06, 03:07
    Comment
    wump wrote: " ... (Also, Americans in particular use the word "friend" much more liberally than Europeans: everybody is a "friend", it doesn't have to mean that you're very close.)"

That's it! As an European I don't like to say "I love it!" like the Americans always do, if they just like one thing. I prefer to use you proposal "Not really, we just hang out every once in a while." to describe Judith's acquaintance.
    #7Authorhs196824 Oct 06, 03:21
    Comment
    wump's suggestion (hang out once in a while) is great and is proof that questions are always worth asking again.

For my money the suggestions in the threads alluded to by Cleaner are not very helpful. There may be some assumption that people in this forum are too lazy or stupid to look up earlier entries.
    #8Authorrv24 Oct 06, 07:52
    Comment
    @rv: Thank you. That's exactly what I think as well. Wumps translation was what I was looking for.

And Cleaner: Well, I already felt offended by your name, actually. So you're the "cleaner" who responds to the threads that are "dirt" in this forum? You're telling me to check LEO, although I already said that this translation sounds a bit too formal for me? And guess what, I know how to search the forum. I think it's not easy to overlook this, even if you're here for the first time.
    #9AuthorJudith24 Oct 06, 19:32
    Comment
    So much on hostility in this forum.
    #10AuthorCleaner (unplugged)25 Oct 06, 16:50

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt