Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

if he was attacked

Context/ examples
    if he was attacked, his intelligence enabled him to evade very cleverly
    Comment
    Wenn er angegriffen wuerde, ermoeglichtet ihn seine Intelligenz, sich schlau zu entziehen
    Or something like this?!
    Thanks!
    AuthorLeah31 Dec 06, 15:29
    SuggestionIf he were attacked...
    Context/ examples
    If he were attacked, his intelligence would enable him to cleverly evade his assailant.
    #1AuthorMick31 Dec 06, 15:38
    Comment
    No....that IS the correct English sentence....I need the correct German please!
    #2AuthorLeah31 Dec 06, 15:45
    Comment
    Well your English sentence is not correct. I think you should revise your use of tenses and also to evade is a transitive verb!
    #3AuthorMick31 Dec 06, 15:51
    Comment
    Firstly, I have just realised that I posted this in the wrong section, which might explain the initial confusion. Secondly, blame Noel Annan for the awful grammar - and Cambridge University for setting his texts as translation exercises. I take no responsibility!
    #4AuthorLeah31 Dec 06, 15:58
    Comment
    Not as easy as it looks,compare:-
    (i)Whenever he was attacked (on each and every ocassion on which he was attacked - no doubts or supposition and hence no subjunctive),his intelligence enabled him to evade very cleverly (again on each and every ocassion -no doubts or supposition).
    (ii)If he was attacked..(here we have supposition,it may never happen - hence subjunctive requiring 'were' to replace 'was' and 'would enable' to replace 'enabled'
    (iii) Q.If he was attacked(as he says - no supposition,no 'were')how did he evade injury?
    A.If he was attacked his intelligence enabled him to evade very cleverly.
    #5AuthorJGMcI31 Dec 06, 15:59
    SuggestionIm Falle eines Angriffs...
    Comment
    "If he was attacked" is the vernacular and consequently not terribly wrong.
    #6Authordude31 Dec 06, 15:59
    Comment
    I type slowly and there had been no response when I started my reply. However,since my example (iii)passes as good English,try translating it,but note what dude says.
    #7AuthorJGMcI31 Dec 06, 16:06
    Comment
    @JGMcl: I think your thought process deserves merit, but if indeed the situation is as you describe it, then at least to my ears the second part whould have had to be something like "if..., his intelligence would have enabled him..."
    #8Authordude31 Dec 06, 16:15

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt