Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Subject

Crème fraîche

[cook.]
    Sources
    Ich suche das Englische wort
    für Crème fraîche.
    Insofern es überhaupt eins gibt.
    Da meine Kanadische Gastfamilie
    nicht weiß was das ist.
    AuthorSir Merlin18 Mar 07, 08:06
    Suggestioncreme fraiche
    Sources
    Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running!
    Crème fraîche
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Containers of crème fraîcheCrème fraîche [IPA: krɛm frɛʃ] (French for "fresh cream") is a heavy cream slightly soured with bacterial culture, but not as sour or as thick as sour cream. Originally a French product, today it is available throughout Europe and the rest of the world. This cream can be made by adding a small amount of buttermilk or sour cream to normal heavy cream, and allowing to stand for several hours at room temperature until the bacterial cultures act on the cream.

Smetana cream, a similar cream used in Central and Eastern European cuisines.
    This food-and-drink-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cr%C3%A8me_fra%C...

Comment
    is known as creme fraiche - or use the explanation above :-)
    #1AuthorLaraUS (239207) 18 Mar 07, 08:11
    Sources
    Comment
    Da Du sagst, Deine kanadische Gastfamilie kennt Crème fraîche nicht, könntest Du sagen ähnlich wie 'sour cream'.

Wiki sagt: Crème fraîche, lightly soured cream
    #2AuthorBubi (236165) 18 Mar 07, 08:36
    Suggestioncultured cream
    Comment
    Hier in Südafrika heißt es 'creme fraiche' oder 'cultured cream'. Wobei das produkt selten benutzt wird und letztere Übersetzung eher verstanden wird.
    #3AuthorLaudia (795362) 26 Oct 13, 13:00
    Comment
    #4Authorno me bré (700807) 26 Oct 13, 13:12
    Comment
    Creme fraiche is the right translation -- just as in German, the French term is used. However, it isn't very common in the US (and I'd guess not in Canada, either.) Sour cream can be substituted, but the two react differently to heat.
    Here's what I found as a way to make your own (never done it, though, as I can buy creme fraiche here in Germany.)
    "You could make your own. I use 2 cups heavy cream and wisk in 2 tablespoons sour cream. Keep in a glass bowl or jar on the countertop overnight. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before using. Use pasteurized cream, not ultra-pasteurized, if possible. You can also use buttermilk instead of the sour cream. Keeps for a couple of weeks in the fridge. I can never find creme fraiche in my supermarket!" (note: "wisk" = "whisk" in real English.)
    #5Authorhbberlin (420040) 26 Oct 13, 14:38
    Comment
    crème fraîche = clotted cream

Not usually available in the supermarket in Canada, but it can be obtained in some delis/specialty food stores.

Definitely not the same as sour cream, neither in taste nor in use (trust me, I've tried).

If you have some patience (re: time, not difficulty), you can make your own. Buttermilk and 35% whipping cream should do the trick.

http://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/homemade...

ps - most Canadians will NOT know what it is since it's not commonly used
    #6AuthorRES-can (330291) 26 Oct 13, 15:02
    Comment
    Clotted cream? I don't think of crème fraîche as being clotted cream.

Here are the online Oxford's definitions:

crème fraiche
    Pronunciation: /krɛm ˈfrɛʃ/
    noun
    (mass noun)
    a type of thick cream made from double cream with the addition of buttermilk, sour cream, or yogurt.
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/...

clotted cream
    noun
    (mass noun) chiefly British
    thick cream obtained by heating milk slowly and then allowing it to cool while the cream content rises to the top in coagulated lumps:
    (as modifier): they serve clotted cream teas
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/...

I wouldn't want crème fraiche on my scones or clotted cream on my Flammkuchen. ;-)

I take your point, though, that you could probably make crème fraiche from clotted cream by adding the sour ingredients.

#7AuthorSD3 (451227) 26 Oct 13, 15:14
    Sources
    Comment
    Fast 7 Millionen Hits bei Google für "Creme Fraiche recipe". Nur weil eine Familie in Kanada davon noch nie gehört hat, heisst das nicht, dass der Begriff dort unbekannt ist. Es gibt in Deutschland sicherlich auch Leute, die keine Ahnung haben, was C.F. ist. Ich habe 13 Jahre lang in den USA gelebt, und Creme Fraiche war dort ebenso bekannt wie in D.
    #8Authormacpet (304707) 26 Oct 13, 15:42
    Comment
    Selbst wenn man clotted cream säuern würde, wäre der Fettgehalt immer noch sehr viel höher: durchschnittlich 64%, während creme fraiche nur "über 30%" hat (beides laut Wikipedia).
    #9AuthorLady Grey (235863) 26 Oct 13, 15:42
    Comment
    I don't think of creme fraiche as being clotted cream, either - clotted cream tastes yucky (in my opinion), and creme fraiche is delicious :-)
    #10AuthorCarly-AE (237428) 26 Oct 13, 17:30
    Comment
    clotted cream tastes yucky
    It's hereditary, Carly. My maternal grandparents were West Country dairy farmers, and I think it tastes great. The only downside is if you overdo it, it's likely to kill you eventually. :-(
    #11AuthorSD3 (451227) 26 Oct 13, 17:36
    Comment
    No insult intended, SD3 :-)) I guess I basically associate it with my mother making hot chocolate. She occassionally missing a clump of clotted cream, which somehow invariably landed in MY cup...just don't like the taste of it, at all :-)
    #12AuthorCarly-AE (237428) 26 Oct 13, 17:50
    Comment
    clotted cream is sweet (or at least not sour, think very thick double cream) and crème fraîche is acidic, that's the difference. I like both (in moderation!) for cooking and for desserts.
    #13Authorpenguin (236245) 26 Oct 13, 17:58
    Comment
    Rewrote a portion of my original sentence in #12, but neglected to adapt it accordingly. Should have read: She occassionally missED a clump of clotted cream...:-)
    #14AuthorCarly-AE (237428) 26 Oct 13, 18:33
    Comment
    (Slightly OT:)
    When I was studying, another student from my house decided to cook for me; she sent me off to buy “frische Sahne”. I hadn’t done any French for ages, but I remembered with some pride that frais/fraîche = frisch and crème = Sahne. What happened next? She sent me back to the supermarket to get the right product.
    #15AuthorStravinsky (637051) 26 Oct 13, 18:43
    Comment
    Stravinsky, das war in Deutschland, ja? Ich wüsste gar nicht, wie man auf französisch "frische Sahne" (im Gegensatz zu "ranzige Sahne") sagen würde.
    #16AuthorLady Grey (235863) 26 Oct 13, 18:48
    Comment
    Stravinsky, das war in Deutschland, ja?

Ja - in Germersheim.
    #17AuthorStravinsky (637051) 26 Oct 13, 19:44
    Comment
    Ich denke, die meinten "frisch" nicht im Gegensatz zu "ranzig", sondern zu "haltbar" (UHT)
    #18Authorpenguin (236245) 26 Oct 13, 19:48
    Comment
    Yes, that's what she must have meant.

Edith says: That still leaves Lady's question (#16) open.
    #19AuthorStravinsky (637051) 26 Oct 13, 20:41

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

• Pinyin

• Keyboard

• Special characters

• Lautschrift

:-) automatisch zu 🙂 umgewandelt