Werbung
LEO

Sie scheinen einen AdBlocker zu verwenden.

Wollen Sie LEO unterstützen?

Dann deaktivieren Sie AdBlock für LEO, spenden Sie oder nutzen Sie LEO Pur!

•  
  • Betreff

verwaist

Quellen
    Die Erinnerung is gerettet. Der Nachruhm gesichert. Die Stelle für populäre Ironie im deutschen Fernsehen ist nun verwaist, wird ihm nachgerufen.

Again, from the Harald Schmidt article:

http://www.taz.de/pt/2003/12/10/a0150.1/text
    Kommentar
    According to Duden, 'verwaist' can mean both 'orphaned' and 'deserted' - so does it here mean something like 'has lost its founding father' or more like 'it's deserted/empty' i.e. there is no more 'populäre Ironie' on German TV. Since it talks about a 'Stelle' it's probably the latter, i.e. deserted, as in Duden's example:

der Lehrstuhl ist schon lange verwaist (nicht besetzt)

A couple of other questions regarding this excerpt:

is 'Nachruhm' only fame after death, or just fame 'after' something, i.e. after the programme has finished?

Finally, 'nachrufen' here just means people are calling this out to him, doesn't it, i.e. people are telling him "Die Stelle für populäre Ironie im deutschen Fernsehen ist nun verwaist", it can't have any other meaning like 'attribute to' or anything like that, can it?

Thanks again!
    Verfassercp (BE) (316437) 03 Apr. 07, 20:16
    Ergebnisse aus dem Wörterbuch
    orphaned  Adj.verwaist
    to become an orphan verwaisen  | verwaiste, verwaist |
    Ergebnisse aus dem Forum
    Kommentar
    orphaned i think would fit in this metaphor
    #1Verfassercoburn03 Apr. 07, 20:18
    Kommentar
    I think it means: The place for pop irony on German TV is now empty, the obituary says.
    #2Verfasser Helmi (U.S.) (236620) 03 Apr. 07, 20:21
    Kommentar
    I think it's rather "deserted" - but then again coburn is much more experienced than I am.

"nachgerufen" has, I think, to do with "Nachruf" - "obituary" - dunno how to incorporate this here, but I'm sure you'll manage ;-)

"Nachruhm" - yes, it's the fame after he finished his show ...

Does this help any?
    #3VerfasserBacon [de] (264333) 03 Apr. 07, 20:21
    Kommentar
    oh thank you!:)
    #4Verfassercoburn03 Apr. 07, 20:26
    Kommentar
    Well, it's true, innit?
    #5VerfasserBacon [de] (264333) 03 Apr. 07, 20:28
    Kommentar
    Aah, that's interesting, I hadn't thought about any connection with 'Nachruf' - I suppose because he himself is not dead. I was thinking of something along the lines of:

"His memory is saved, his posthumous fame secured. The place for popular irony on German television has been deserted, is what is being called out to him"

I'm not so keen on posthumous fame really, since it's the programme that's gone and not Schmidt himself. Although I suppose it could be the programme's fame and not his.

Maybe, to leave it a bit more open:

The memory is saved, the posthumous fame secured. The place for popular irony on German television has been deserted, the obituary says.

Or perhaps 'continuing fame'?
    #6Verfassercp (BE) (316437) 03 Apr. 07, 20:30
    Kommentar
    place in history is secured (legendary status - if appropriate)

springs to mind
    #7Verfassernoli03 Apr. 07, 20:32
    Kommentar
    cp, your sentence is very good but i think that orphaned fits better in this obituary context
    #8Verfassercoburn03 Apr. 07, 20:35
    Kommentar
    Yeah, I do like it too. The only thing that concerns me is that it might change the meaning. If I write orphaned might that mean that this 'Stelle' is still occupied, just that it's lost its founding father, so to speak? However if I choose 'deserted' it kind of means that there is no longer any popular irony on German TV.
    #9Verfassercp (BE) (316437) 03 Apr. 07, 20:40
    Kommentar
    i think you can use either of these two.. both suggest that there was only one "father" otherwise it would have said Diese Stelle
    #10Verfassercoburn03 Apr. 07, 20:49
    Kommentar
    That's true - and orphaned does fit in with the obituary image much better.
    #11Verfassercp (BE) (316437) 03 Apr. 07, 21:17
    Vorschlagdeserted
    Quellen
    I think orphan is a bad translation here. Deserted makes more sense at first, second and third glance. What it appears is being suggested in the comments is that "populaere Ironie" has been oprhaned, though the quote notes that the "Stelle" of the irony is "verwaist", and thus deserted. Were "populaere Ironie" the subject/object (whatever) of the sentence, orphaned could work, but it's not, so it doesn't. Also, on a purely subjective tangent, "orphaned" implies the loss of both parents, so unless it is also implied that there was a mother of the "Stelle fuer populaere Ironie," and that that mother has died, the metaphor doesn't really work.
    #12Verfassericon13 Aug. 07, 01:58

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt