Advertising
LEO

It looks like you’re using an ad blocker.

Would you like to support LEO?

Disable your ad blocker for LEO or make a donation.

•  
  • Forum home

English missing

Busfahrt- bus ride oder coach journey?

Subject

Busfahrt- bus ride oder coach journey?

Sources
    Eine Gruppe Senioren fährt mit einem Reisebus nach Italien, eine solche Reise ist gemeint.
    Comment
    Ich meine, diese beiden Ausdrücke gehört zu haben. LEO gibt nur bus ride an, allerdings bin ich mir nicht sicher, ob das hier passt. Könnt ihr mir helfen?
    AuthorSina19 Jun 07, 14:26
    Comment
    #1Author M-A-Z (306843) 19 Jun 07, 14:29
    Sources
    bus ride = "Busfahrt" für eine kurze Strecke, meist innerhalb der Stadt

coach ride = "Busreise" auf einer längeren Strecke, überland

Comment
    So würde ich es unterscheiden
    #2Authormad (ausgeloggt)19 Jun 07, 14:29
    Comment
    #3Author M-A-Z (306843) 19 Jun 07, 14:31
    Comment
    Ah, okay. Ist coach journey aber auch richtig?
    #4AuthorSina19 Jun 07, 14:32
    Comment
    Nein. Siehe mein 2. Link.

journey" bezieht sich auf die Umstände der "Fahrt", Reise als Veranstaltung ist "trip". "Coach" ist in Ordnung. "Bus" wäre ein öffentlicher Linienbus.
    #5Author M-A-Z (306843) 19 Jun 07, 14:38
    Suggestioncoach trip
    Comment
    In BE it would be a coach trip.
    #6Author CM2DD (236324) 19 Jun 07, 14:41
    Suggestioncoach journey
    Sources
    http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/...
    Coach journey that took Derbyshire home
    By Simon Turnbull
    Published: 11 March 2007
    There was widespread applause on Tuesday when Blackburn Rovers announced a reduction in the cost of their season tickets for next season. Jack Straw, for 15 years a season-ticket holder at Ewood Park, was among those who voiced approval for the 25 per cent cut.

http://www.buses.realholidayguide.com/
    Bus and coach journey guides

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:YNhBMHtVt...
    National Occupational Standards for Passenger Carrying Vehicle Driving
    (Bus and Coach)
    Unit 10
    Deal with emergencies and incidents during a bus or coach journey
    Comment
    geht auf jeden Fall auch, auch wenn M-A-Z das Gegenteil behaupten will
    #7Author dude (253248) 19 Jun 07, 15:07
    Suggestionboth works
    Comment
    I often read "journey by coach" instead of "coach journey", regarding the syntax.
    (sounds a bit nicer, doesn´t it?)

In your case I´d take "coach" and not "bus"
    shows more what kind of journey it is as just the "bus"
    #8Author daniel jackson (329106) 19 Jun 07, 15:14
    Comment
    danke, dann hat mich mein Sprachgefühl beziehungsweise mein Erinnerungsvermögen mich doch nicht getäuscht =)
    #9AuthorSina19 Jun 07, 15:15
    Comment
    @dude: Alles "geht" irgendwie, besonders wenn Sina keinerlei konkreten Textzusammenhang liefert und glaubt, es gibt die eine allgemeingültige Patentübersetzung.

Die Frage ist immer, was will man ausdrücken. "Journey by coach" betont die Umstände des Fahrens/Reisens wie M-A-Z richtig beobachtet hat. Nicht das Ziel steht im Mittelpunkt, sondern wie komfortabel, mit welchem Transportmittel, wie lange usw. man fährt/reist. Daher erscheint daniel jackson auch das zusammenfassende "coach journey" nicht ideal.

"emergencies and incidents during a bus or coach journey" zielt ebenfalls genau auf die Umstände des Fahrens/Reisens ab und nicht auf die Veranstaltung "Busfahrt nach Italien" oder das Reiseziel "Italienreise".

Die Beispiele, die als Gegenargument angeführt wurden, bestätigen also Wortmeldung 5!
    #10AuthorRenate19 Jun 07, 15:29
    Comment
    Renate: with all due respect, but that's just nonsense. You can travel or journey (or take a trip) to Italy or anywhere else regardless of the means by which you do so. If you choose to journey by coach, so be it. Granted, "coach journey" is not necessarily AE-speak, and it's certainly not catchy ad-talk, but it's none-the-less acceptable.
    #11Author dude (253248) 19 Jun 07, 15:35
    SuggestionCoach trip
    Sources
    Comment
    ...to crown it all...
    #12Authordannniii (329261) 19 Jun 07, 15:56
    Comment
    @ dannniii

Yes, spot on! :))
    #13Author bluejay(uk) (236423) 19 Jun 07, 15:59
    Comment
    Why not say:

Coach Holiday to Italy/Paris/Swiss Alps/Costa del Sol/French Riviera

This is what you find on free advertising that lands in your letterbox every week.

#14AuthorSteveG19 Jun 07, 16:02
    Comment
    @dude: Now you are mingling the nouns that are being discussed with verbs, which are quite a separate issue. I'm afraid you are not willing to deal with my arguments or you don't understand what I'm trying to say. So, I thing we just leave it at that.
    #15AuthorRenate19 Jun 07, 16:07
    Comment
    @dude: Now you are mingling the nouns that are being discussed with verbs, which are quite a separate issue. I'm afraid you are not willing to deal with my arguments or you don't understand what I'm trying to say. So, I think, we just leave it at that.
    #16AuthorRenate19 Jun 07, 16:08
    Comment
    @SteveG: Seems perfect to me as a heading. By now, Sina should have an idea which term to use in which context.
    #17AuthorRupert19 Jun 07, 16:11
    Comment
    @Renate: I am not mingling nouns and verbs. Also: journey" bezieht sich auf die Umstände der "Fahrt", Reise als Veranstaltung ist "trip". "Coach" ist in Ordnung. "Bus" wäre ein öffentlicher Linienbus...

M-A-Z's definitions and the definitions given in his link are not 100 percent correct as they can overlap. For instance: "trip" doe not necessarily mean an unusual or short journey and returning to the point of departure as stated in one of the link's posts; other options are possible. Likewise, "Reise als Veranstaltung" is not limited to "trip." It can also be a journey or even a trek. Certainly the ol' "Enterprise" was (maybe still is) trekking through space, hence the name of the series, Star Trek. Also, organized treks are very common these days, with all those eco travel offers.

Additionally, a bus is not necessarily restricted to just being a public bus follwing a prescribed route. All those definition don't fit neatly into one or several little boxes.
    #18Authordude (unplugged)19 Jun 07, 16:52
    SuggestionBus Trip (in AE)
    Comment
    Coach Journey is pure BE.

"Coach" s used in AE to refer to a fancy, comfortable bus used for long distance (out of city) travel. HOWEVER, I don't think you can use it (in AE) to speak about a bus trip IN GENERAL -- only if you are specifying the means of transport more specificaly. Analogously, you would say you "flew to Paris" or you "took a plane to Paris", not that you "travelled by Boeing 747 to Paris", unless you mean to be specific about the model of plane, which is odd if you are speaking generally about going from one place to another.

Furthermore, "coach", at least to AE ears, has as its primary meaning "Kutsche". So Coach Journey or Coach trip sounds bizarre. "Coach", referring to a type of bus, is not a commonly used word in AE and I would bet a significant portion of the population would not be familiar with its meaning to refer to a type of bus.

"Journey" is also bizarre here. In AE, a journey is like an odessey or a trip that requires the overcoming of obstacles. It has the sound of an adventure. If you say you "made a journey somewhere", it sounds like you had to cut your way through the jungle with a machete.

"Ride" is not very good here either, as it sounds like too short. This is a longer trip.

I think "Bus trip" is the best here for AE. For BE, "Coach journey" is probably best, and would probably be understood to some AE ears, even though it sounds like "Odyssee per Kutsche".
    #19AuthorDanShab (42550) 28 Dec 09, 19:22
    Comment
    Remember "Bus Stop" with MM?

An example of the difference in usage of "bus" in AE/BE
    #20Authormike28 Dec 09, 19:47

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

automatisch zu   umgewandelt